Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my local Home Depot today and they had the Bullard brand face shields in stock. It looks comparable to the premium HF face shield that has been out of stock since covid. $15

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Never tried that but in a pinch ill use my weld helmet with the auto darkening feature turned off.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,222 Posts
That's cool, Old Machinist. (y)

I own two OSHA approved face shields.

The last employer I worked for(before retiring) bought them both for me to used on the job. The head bands were delivered with a 120 pack of replaceable shield. That will last me a lifetime. (y)

Upon retirement, he told me to unload everything that was in my truck(except the Miller Welder/18K Generator) to keep at my shop.

"Thanks, Boss-man."

·
Premium Member
15,138 Posts
I've had a couple of those style of shields and the head gear always ends up cracking. I also have a problem with them fogging up in any weather other than the middle of summer. I was finally able to score a no-fog/hard coat Uvex shield just before they restricted sales to healthcare workers (which I believe is now no longer in effect).

This is a perfect example of price gouging. This shield was $52 on Amazon last July and now costs $20.61.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I agree that a face shield is need when grinding, but it's really not enough protection!

True story... and I KNOW it's true because I experienced it! As an Assembly Supervisor, we often had pallets of parts come through the Dept. for deburring operations and I assigned one fellow the job of deburring some parts. This fellow was known to not follow safety instructions and I checked on him often and found him to be wearing the necessary PPE... glasses, face shield, and gloves. As Company policy, he was allowed to shower on Company time when performing certain "dirty" duties. Prior to the end of he shift, he told me he was going to shower and off he went. Twenty minutes later he came back from the shower, said he thought he had something in his eye, and I sent him to the Company nurse... who immediately sent him to the ER. He returned to work about 2 weeks later and I filled out the "Lost Time Accident Report" after a discussion with him. We had no way of knowing EXACTLY what happened, but we both concluded that while grinding, some of the grinding debris (swarf) ended up in his hair. While showering, it was then washed down onto his face and one piece lodged in his eye. About a week after I submitted my report, a change in the Company Safety Policy was stated: "A cap must be worn when performing deburring or grinding operations in addition to the previously required PPE of a face shield, safety glasses, and protective gloves." The Company then supplied the necessary cap.

A "freak" accident? Probably. Can it happen to you? Possibly! When performing a task and you feel you need to wear a face shield, wear a baseball cap or welding cap also. Bob

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had a couple of those style of shields and the head gear always ends up cracking. I also have a problem with them fogging up in any weather other than the middle of summer. I was finally able to score a no-fog/hard coat Uvex shield just before they restricted sales to healthcare workers (which I believe is now no longer in effect).

This is a perfect example of price gouging. This shield was $52 on Amazon last July and now costs $20.61.

View attachment 781123
I had several Craftsman face shields that had the snap type adjustment on the headband and they all cracked pretty quick. The last time Sears replaced it they gave me the same shield that wasn't branded Craftsman and told me it was my last free replacement.

These shields with the knob on back that you can easily adjust have been very durable. My premium HF shield is still usable but the clear shield part has some check cracks forming.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 4-1/2" grinder stays on the bottom shelf of my welding cart and I cover it with the face shield. That way I cannot pick up the grinder without first picking up the face shield. I want to come up with something to cover both and keep the dust off but having towels or anything flammable on the bottom of a welding cart has proven not to be a good idea. ;)

Likewise my welding helmet has my leather arm covers and apron covering it. I also use those when grinding most of the time.

EUREKA! I need a second set of arm covers and another apron to cover the grinder face shield with. 👀

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
I just picked up a replacement lens for my face shield yesterday at Air Gas. The head gear for my 3M branded one broke the other day. I have a different brand shield that I got a while back but it had a tinted lens so I got a clear one that will fit for grinding.

I like the one @jgayman posted. Might be what I get next time around.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts