Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I understood it comes with John Deere Break-in oil I have some waiting for my 50hr oil change. I was told keep it in till 100 hours. :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
15w40 plus-50 ll is what is factory filled with.
Is this a question, or?

I understood it comes with John Deere Break-in oil I have some waiting for my 50hr oil change. I was told keep it in till 100 hours. :dunno::dunno:
It's my understanding that Deere filled them with a break in oil, 10w30 IIRC is what Deere offers in break in oil, not a xw40 wt.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
A lot of people have disagreed with what I'm about to say but I change my oil every 50-75 hours which ends up being 2 times a year.For what I have invested in it 3 quarts and filter is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I've read a lot of theads on what oil is in 1025R I called my dealer and was told 15w40 is what the factory puts in it .
Sometimes people answering the phone at dealerships give out bad information.

The 1025R technical service manual specifies Break-In oil for the first 100 hours and warns NOT to use Plus-50 for the first 100 hours:

Break_In_Oil.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Sometimes people answering the phone at dealerships give out bad information.

The 1025R technical service manual specifies Break-In oil for the first 100 hours and warns NOT to use Plus-50 for the first 100 hours:

View attachment 341529
Then why does the owner's manual tell you to change the oil after 200 hours (or annually) and not 100?

Before the 1025r, I had an x758. It's almost the same engine (minor model variation), and subject to almost the same loads. It had break in oil in it, said so in the manual, and told you to change the break in oil at 50 hours.

The 1025r manual says nothing about break in oil and tells you to change it after 200 hours. In the absence of all other reliable information, that means there is no break in oil in there.

The thing from the service manual could be either a copy paste from earlier versions or something they left in there after they stopped using break in oil. Assuming they did stop using break in oil. I wish someone from John Deere would actually provide that information.

In any case, if it takes 50 hours to break in an x758, then it shouldn't take longer to break in a 1025r.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Then why does the owner's manual tell you to change the oil after 200 hours (or annually) and not 100?

Before the 1025r, I had an x758. It's almost the same engine (minor model variation), and subject to almost the same loads. It had break in oil in it, said so in the manual, and told you to change the break in oil at 50 hours.

The 1025r manual says nothing about break in oil and tells you to change it after 200 hours. In the absence of all other reliable information, that means there is no break in oil in there.

The thing from the service manual could be either a copy paste from earlier versions or something they left in there after they stopped using break in oil. Assuming they did stop using break in oil. I wish someone from John Deere would actually provide that information.

In any case, if it takes 50 hours to break in an x758, then it shouldn't take longer to break in a 1025r.
Simply because the manual does not mention specific break in oil and specifies a 200 hour interval does not automatically mean it's not the case.

Why would Deere put break in oil in the 'same' engine in one application but not in another?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just changed my engine oil at 80 hours. I am not the slightest bit concerned if it had break-in oil in it or not. I used the regular JD oil (whatever they call it these days).
Like I said, not worried about it at all. If the motor has not been broken in by now, then I should have bought a different brand. But there is no doubt in my mind that it has been broken in just fine with the normal use that I have put it through (~30 hours loader work, ~40 hours backhoe work, ~10 hours driving around).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oil threads....

Cars are filled with normal synthetic from the moment they are assembled and break in and work just fine.

I have no idea where JD is getting this idea of "break in" oil being necessary, and I would love to know what's different about it, I would bet virtually nothing.

Any clean oil of the right viscosity and certifications will work. I put 250K miles on a car using Wal-Mart oil and filters, and the motor was still tight. Don't believe the hype fellas.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Simply because the manual does not mention specific break in oil and specifies a 200 hour interval does not automatically mean it's not the case.

Why would Deere put break in oil in the 'same' engine in one application but not in another?
Because of the application, changing characteristics of fuels in common use, differences in engine support systems and evolving API specifications. Take a look here to get an idea of the characteristics and evolution timelines of modern oils.

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have no idea where JD is getting this idea of "break in" oil being necessary, and I would love to know what's different about it, I would bet virtually nothing.
Probably from the engineers and tribologists (it's a real word - look it up!) who know way more about this stuff than we do. The days of motor oil being just one of the medium-heavy fractions from distilling crude are long gone. The additives package has a lot of chemistry and precision engineering that goes into it.

Al

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

The technical service manual isn't a reliable source of information??
I hope you have success in whatever it is you are trying to accomplish with this thread.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just sent an email to John Deere asking them to confirm what type of oil was the tractor filled with at the factory, and when should it be changed. Mentioned the contradiction between the Owners Manual and Service Manual. I will post their response when I receive it.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
I just sent an email to John Deere asking them to confirm what type of oil was the tractor filled with at the factory, and when should it be changed. Mentioned the contradiction between the Owners Manual and Service Manual. I will post their response when I receive it.:unknown:
I would recommend sending multiple emails to multiple recipients that way you can average out the answers. ;-)

·
Administrator
18,014 Posts
I just sent an email to John Deere asking them to confirm what type of oil was the tractor filled with at the factory, and when should it be changed. Mentioned the contradiction between the Owners Manual and Service Manual. I will post their response IF receive it.:unknown:
:laugh:

Sorry but this has all been covered 100 times or more since the 1-series was first introduced in 2011. SOOOO many experts have commented that they know for sure what it includes-and every one differs from the last expert that gave his opinion.

Oil threads in every forum (truck, car, tractor, motorcycle, whatever) just have a history of going nowhere and often end bad.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It is a bit remarkable to see how much of a debate the topic of oil can create. The OP has made two posts that really doesn't ask a question, both are simply statements. If only such a topic could put a stir into our law makers, nothing may ever get solved but by gosh they would at least be talking about it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
:laugh:

Oil threads in every forum (truck, car, tractor, motorcycle, whatever) just have a history of going nowhere and often end bad.
True that !

I think it just comes down to personal preference. Regardless of engine type, as long as one is changing the oil regularly..... odds are in their favor.

I don't put HD oil in my scooter's engine, tranny, or primary. Runs as good as the day I got it. I don't put ford oil in my F350 either....runs like a champ with 230+K on it :bigthumb:

I haven't put much thought into what I'm gonna do with my 1025R yet... getting close to 50hrs on er. Will probably read a bunch of people's opinions, & do my own thing...lol. Who knows, might even have the dealer do the 1st service on it. Haven't decided yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,544 Posts
I changed my factory "break in" oil at 50 hours, and have changed my oil at that hour interval since, using the JD full syn diesel oil.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts