Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a rear Quick Attach weight bracket from a member, that looks to be arriving today.
Now the need of weights. What's the average price for used weights if I can manage to find some?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
From what I've seen, IF you can find them on CL or other sites they want almost as much as new, so I bought new. If you can get a coupon of some sort from your dealer that's the way to go, I think I paid around $53 per 42 lber, the 70's will make you choke up whatever you ever had for breakfast at around $100 each.

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
I bought a rear Quick Attach weight bracket from a member, that looks to be arriving today.
Now the need of weights. What's the average price for used weights if I can manage to find some?
i paid 45 bucks a piece 3 or more yrs ago for 4 used ones, when i bought a used sickle mower off a fella.

someone on here had said about getting them at Home Depot, for a little bit less than at mother deere--order them online, and then pick them up at the store. maybe HD had a coupon online somehow:dunno:

weights keep their price-used or new-IMO. if ur lucky--lucky is the key word---u might save 10 bucks on used ones-if ur lucky.

good luck-Boonie:good2:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My local dealer quoted me $59/ea. Home Depot $99/ea.
For as long as I've been looking on CL, like mentioned, I don't recall seeing but a few stragglers, and they were getting sold with other items as a LOT.
I was figuring $45 would be in the ballpark. I sent my Deere friend a note, referencing I was in need. Meantime, I'll put my hawk eyes in and be on the lookout :thumbup1gif:

I tip my coffee cup to ya both.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
It used to be $1/LB, but that was years ago :nunu: Steel/Iron prices are going up so don't wait too long to buy or you might end up paying a lot more :gizmo:

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
My local dealer quoted me $59/ea. Home Depot $99/ea.
For as long as I've been looking on CL, like mentioned, I don't recall seeing but a few stragglers, and they were getting sold with other items as a LOT.
I was figuring $45 would be in the ballpark. I sent my Deere friend a note, referencing I was in need. Meantime, I'll put my hawk eyes in and be on the lookout :thumbup1gif:

I tip my coffee cup to ya both.
:nunu:boy oh boy-HD's price really shot out of this world on them -jeepers. i should of bought 10 of them weights back then for $45-:banghead: oh well--that's me a dollar short and a day late.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
It used to be $1/LB, but that was years ago :nunu: Steel/Iron prices are going up so don't wait too long to buy or you might end up paying a lot more :gizmo:
Yup, running about $1.40/lb right now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I "could" be nice and walk into the dealer that sold me the Garden Tractor. And in all honesty, I can. Problem is, I'm so tight I squeak when I walk. It took me a LONG time to choke down our buying one like we have. The 0% interest swayed us. Anything I save buying the needed/wanted accessories, new or used, adds to my treasure hunt when I get something for a better than average "used" price. All in all, the things I have acquired, I've saved thousands and got things with little to no use on them. So the way I figure, those savings built up a buffer of goodness. Given that, I'm always looking to buy used. If my squeakin makes them think twice and the price is a little more than planned, I can justify the difference a bit easier.

For now, the hunt is on. I got a ballast box from a 445, and 3 bags of Portland Cement on a pallet. Just in case I get stubborn. :laugh:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was going to recommend Lowes. I got my 42 pounders there about 2 years ago and they were forty-something dollars apiece. Order, pick up at the store, no shipping charges, and my military discount.

I just checked the Lowes site 5 minutes ago, and now they are $!00.13 EACH.

Home Depot now wants $98.36 per weight.

Theres a vendor here on GTT who can have them delivered to a local Fastenal store for a small shipping fee; I've forgotten who, so I couldn't look up the current price.

I don't know why they have almost doubled in price. Maybe the trade war?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Everything steel is going up. I would bet a 15 to 20% increase in tractor prices if they haven’t bumped them already. And more potentially more coming as we look at more China tariffs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Got mine for about $50 Canadian each a few years ago from Homedepot. The funniest part is they shipped them ups from the USA. Needless to say I watch the price shoot up pretty quick on the HD.ca website after that.

current price $100 can.

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
These followed me home today.
I would like to find 6-8 more to have around.
:lol: wow that was some fast treasure hunting-jeepers:laugh:

so-:hide: how much squeaking did u save on them used ones?:dunno:curious minds wantta know:lol::laugh:

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Nice thing about weights, paint them and they are new again.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Just gotta search, and be aggressive with your negotiating. I bought all of these used, save for one brand new one a guy had, for 45 dollars or less. However, none of them are stamped JD, but a hunk of metal is a hunk of metal. The new JD one the guy stuck at 65 bucks.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
And it just occurred to me that after spending what I did on my tractor and attachments, that I was too cheap to buy new weights. :lol::greentractorride:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:lol: wow that was some fast treasure hunting-jeepers:laugh:

so-:hide: how much squeaking did u save on them used ones?:dunno:curious minds wantta know:lol::laugh:
I must have been holding my lip right, cause my "luck" is rarely in stride with my step.
I gave $40/ea...for 5-JD and one unmarked

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just gotta search, and be aggressive with your negotiating. I bought all of these used, save for one brand new one a guy had, for 45 dollars or less. However, none of them are stamped JD, but a hunk of metal is a hunk of metal. The new JD one the guy stuck at 65 bucks.
Well, I am pretty aggressive. The searching part anyway. When I want things, I'm like flies to a fresh pile. Just that, the fresh piles are literally hundreds and hundreds of miles away. :laugh:
Best to buy in bulk, for things like weights, I think. Think "bundle" :mocking:
And you're right. A hunk of metal IS a hunk of metal. It's the "shape" we pay for. Having the weights that say JD does kind of make the tractor package a bit more appealing, or maybe it's the color:greentractorride:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts