1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tilled under the old sweet corn stocks, I must have left a "few" ears,,,

WOW!!, I got quite a high germination rate,,,should I "thin" the corn? :laugh:

I tilled the area, and threw in some lettuce seeds, not much lettuce,,, :dunno:

If it stays warm until Christmas,, we might be eating corn on the cob for New Years celebration,,, :bigthumb:

If I look at the plants just right, the corn looks like it is kinda planted in rows,,, :good2:

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
let it grow wild and free--:mocking: never know what the new yr may bring ya!:munch:

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
volunteer corn

A lot of the farmers around us use a Turbotill or some minimum tillage when planting a winter cover crop after corn. Most of the time it looks like there's more corn than the cover crop, at least until the first hard freeze. A one or two bushel/acre harvest loss really isn't much but it sure shows up when the ground is disturbed.

I'd thin some and see what happens. A few minutes with a hoe and the neighbors will think you planted it on purpose. I've had fresh tomatoes at Thanksgiving but never corn at Christmas.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I tilled under the old sweet corn stocks, I must have left a "few" ears,,,

WOW!!, I got quite a high germination rate,,,should I "thin" the corn? :laugh:

I tilled the area, and threw in some lettuce seeds, not much lettuce,,, :dunno:

If it stays warm until Christmas,, we might be eating corn on the cob for New Years celebration,,, :bigthumb:

If I look at the plants just right, the corn looks like it is kinda planted in rows,,, :good2:
With the early harvest, warm temps & plenty of rain, most corn fields in my area are going to look like that. Bean fields will also look like a second crop has been planted.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
With the early harvest, warm temps & plenty of rain, most corn fields in my area are going to look like that. Bean fields will also look like a second crop has been planted.
It’s been so wet here that some of the corn in the field that has not been picked has some sprouts starting in the ears that did not drop where the water has gotten trapped between the husk and the ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts