Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for the annual oak leaf cleanup. JD X380 set up for mulching and JD X570 set up with a Cyclone Rake XL to vacuum them up. Over the next 2 1/2 months we’ll probably pickup between 50 and 60 loads with the Cyclone Rake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Got mine ready today and pre-cleaned the road.

No retrieval ..just Blow them off the road into the brush.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got mine ready today and pre-cleaned the road.

No retrieval ..just Blow them off the road into the brush.
Haha, that’ll work. I wanted to do that but we don’t have any brush to blow them into anymore.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ordered my Cyclone Rake last week and it is now being shipped :thumbup1gif:
You’ll love it! They are a great company who firmly stands behind their products. With their one year return policy, you can’t go wrong. My John Deere salesman recommended them. He tried to represent them, but they aren’t interested in having reps.

We have 200 mature oak trees on 2.5 acres of lawn. When mine was shipped in 2015, the collection bag had an 18” x 18” exhaust hole in the top. There were two interchangeable vent screens, one for leaves, one for grass. Both consistently plugged up with leaves and sometimes I couldn’t go anymore than 20 feet without it plugging. The MDA adapter cracked also and I called them about getting a replacement. The parts girl said she’d send one out free of charge. Almost as an afterthought, I mentioned that the exhaust vent was constantly plugging up. She said she thought engineering was working on an improvement and would let me know if a change was going to be available. Well, she never called back but a week later I received a new MDA and a complete new collection bag no charge, even for shipping. When I unfolded it, the exhaust vent was now 36” x 36” and was no longer interchangeable. It has performed flawlessly ever since.

I ordered their tow behind nut rake this summer. The first time I used it it worked great for a few rounds in the yard. Then it jammed. I sent them an email explaining what was happening and again they realize that some customers are having problems, so the stripper fingers are being redesigned and they will send me the upgrade when they’re satisfied it performs trouble free.

Not many companies stand by their products like they do.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
All you Cyclone rake users, do you experience clogs if you suck up sticks? What about clogs in the tube from the leaves just "packing" in? How well does it "suck"?

Asking because I have an Agri-fab leaf vac and my sole complaint is if a stick gets just right, it'll clog up. I probably gets 5 clogs per acre... My Agri-fab unit does a pretty good job, just wondering the proverbial grass is greener on the other side...

and NO I'm not picking up all the damn sticks, that'd be a full time job...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All you Cyclone rake users, do you experience clogs if you suck up sticks? What about clogs in the tube from the leaves just "packing" in? How well does it "suck"?
If the stick is about an inch in diameter, it can possibly clog. Anything smaller gets ground up by the mower and hasn’t been a problem. All of my clogs have been in the the MDA (mower deck adapter) where it transitions to the hose. It’s pretty easy to clear it there. If the material gets by that transition, the impeller pulls it through. I’m using the JD X570 with a 54” Accel Deep deck. I’m not a fan of picking up sticks either, but I do pick up the bigger ones now.

Last year we setup the X380 with a mulch kit. The idea was to pre-grind the leaves before vacuuming them up. But the Cyclone Rake does a much better job on the leaves without pre-grinding them. Once they’re in little pieces, the Rake misses more than it gets.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I made use of the PF and 18 cart. A few mods and ready for leaves, minus the dethatcher.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts

Asking because I have an Agri-fab leaf vac and my sole complaint is if a stick gets just right, it'll clog up. I probably gets 5 clogs per acre... My Agri-fab unit does a pretty good job, just wondering the proverbial grass is greener on the other side...

and NO I'm not picking up all the damn sticks, that'd be a full time job...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Having used a Hasty Vac, which is very similar to your Agri-Fab, for the last 10 years or so off and on to pick up leaves, I can definitely say the Cyclone Rake is a much better performer with sticks. The biggest issue with the Hasty Vac, Agri-Fab, Trac-Vac, or any trailer type vac is the length of hose that runs from the deck to the impeller housing. That long length of hose is just a perfect storm for getting stuck with sticks. It's even worse if the vac system only uses a 6" hose from the deck adapter to the impellar. The CR suffers much less from clogs since it has a much shorter section of hose running from the deck adapter to the impellar, and the hose is at least 7" in diameter. I only pick up the decent size sticks, anything that's 3/4" or bigger, everything else just gets ground up. Though my preference is to just blow all of the leaves into a pile, (unless there's a tree line nearby that I can blow them into,) and then use the CR to suck up the pile like a leaf loader. Though I don't use the suction wand, I just lay the end of the input hose where the deck adapter would go on the ground and rake the leaves in. It's much easier and less bending on the back. Which ever CR you get I would recommend getting at least the lowest model that has the 8" input tube. I have the Z-10 because I wanted the largest input hose possible, mainly because I was tired of dealing with the 6" hose on the Hasty vac.

Rick

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which ever CR you get I would recommend getting at least the lowest model that has the 8" input tube. I have the Z-10 because I wanted the largest input hose possible, mainly because I was tired of dealing with the 6" hose on the Hasty vac.
I agree, get the biggest hose available. I was able to get the XL because at the time they had an upgrade option that included the 10” hose, Blue Diamond steel liner, dual rear wheels and electric start.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned, is the CR attaches to your mower with a 2 point hitch. This keeps the mower and CR in a straight line and the hose does not flex when turning. Of course you have to be careful turning in tight areas. I knocked a couple things over before I got used to it. :mocking:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Set up and ready to go

Got my setup out and all ready to go. Grass got away from me so I used it on the lawn too.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts