Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family PondBoils at Center of a ‘Regulatory War’ in Wyoming
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/us/regulatory-war-fought-over-a-wyoming-familys-pond.html?emc=edit_th_20150919&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=49583666&_r=0

FortBridger, Wyoming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bridger,_Wyoming

Pacific Legal Foundation
Pacific Legal Foundation - Pacific Legal Foundation

The EPA thugs are at it again; yet they can pollute the Animas River and essentially get away with it. Fort Bridger is literally in the middle of nowhere with a population of 345. I hope this guy wins his case.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Unbelievable!! I sincerely hope that the gentleman and his family are able to persevere.

I don't remember the specifics, but I remember reading something about people in either Washington or Oregon being hassled by the EPA for having rain barrels connected to their downspouts. Some kind of crap about any water that falls from the sky belongs to the public and that by "diverting" the water, they are encroaching on public waterways. Basically what the EPA is trying to do is say that anything from a thimbleful on up is a public water way. This whole thing is getting entirely out of hand.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Wotus

EPA has basically declared most of the country as "Waters of the US" by issuing a regulation. The US House of Representatives has passed a bill to return to the old definition. The Senate has not acted on a similar bill SB1140. Please ask your Senator to support SB1140 and end this nonsense.

Treefarmer

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Unbelievable!! I sincerely hope that the gentleman and his family are able to persevere.

I don't remember the specifics, but I remember reading something about people in either Washington or Oregon being hassled by the EPA for having rain barrels connected to their downspouts. Some kind of crap about any water that falls from the sky belongs to the public and that by "diverting" the water, they are encroaching on public waterways. Basically what the EPA is trying to do is say that anything from a thimbleful on up is a public water way. This whole thing is getting entirely out of hand.
Rain barrels are "illegal" here in CO too. Pretty pathetic the overreach by the FEDS.

It amazes me that there are several folks in outdoors/hunting community that feel the public is better served by having the FEDS control public lands vs state control.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The EPA is heavily staffed with Envirowackos, and extremely hard left Globalists.
Overreach, is their std., and intimidation though extreme fines, and asset seizures has been their normal for years now.

Just recently, a neighbor spent 3 years fighting them, despite having all the permits and approvals from the state.
It was ridiculous, cost him over a Million, and got the state embroiled in a huge legal battle, that still isn't over.
In the process, the EPA issued a "Stop work" order, unless it was restoration, and required permits for the restoration...which left 160 Acres of ground bare going into winter, and flooding in the spring. They would not allow a cover crop, or any sort of runoff abatement to be done, while things were tied up in court.
Of course the obvious occured, and LOTS of topsoil went down stream, which led to more fines.:banghead::banghead:

Now with the WOTUS rule, all of us Farmbillys are staring down a giant mountain of red tape, and permitting, just to repair a clogged drain tile, that is flooding a field. The EPA gets 30 days to respond. Orchard Trees and Bushed start dying within 3 days.
Worse, the EPA now requires individual permits for applications of Fertilizer, herbicides, insecticides, despite the States already having a much less onerous regulatory mechanisms in place, in ADDITION to FIFRA that already covers what is and isn't allowed in each state, by product labels being the law.

I feel bad for that family. The EPA WILL send a swat team out to evict them, seize everything he owns, and then charge them as criminals, as they see fit. Due process does not apply to bureaucrats, and forget about the Bill of rights.
I hope the state steps in, and steps in hard on their behalf.

As it is, the Law suit filed in North Dakota to stop the WOTUS ruling, only put things on hold for the states that signed on, and I read today that the EPA is choosing to enforce that authority, in all states that did not.

Folks need to consider how close their houses are, to any body of water, creek, or seasonal mud puddle.
That fall application of weed N' Feed to the lawn, is very likely to require a Permit, before the application, and tilling up the low spot for a Garden, might just get you in deep doodoo.

I'm wondering how bad the big citys are going to get clobbered for their storm drain systems, and the billions of gallons of nasty junk that runs off the streets, yards, and roads.
I really don't think any of the mega citys can afford to completely revamp their storm water systems, and even fewer small towns can.

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about Washington and Oregon; but Zach is right that it's illegal in Banorado to have a rain barrel as the state considers all precipitation to be their property. Yet, my worthless Demorrhoid run county has illegally taxed (via fee) unincorporated property owners in the western half of the county for stormwater that falls on impervious portions (e.g. roofs, concrete and asphalt drives and sidewalks) of one's property. You heard it right, property owners are taxed on state property and the GOP appointed pinhead judge upheld the county's right to do so.

Water in the west is a scarce resource compared to the east, and water law is extremely convoluted; but come on, screwing the Wyoming man over his pond, banning rain barrels, and taxing stormwater. So much for the USA being the land of the free.

By the way, I had to look up WOTUS as trying to keep up with all the Gummint's alphabet agencies and acronyms is a chore to put it politely. WOTUS = Waters Of The United States.

Rain barrels are "illegal" here in CO too. Pretty pathetic the overreach by the FEDS.

It amazes me that there are several folks in outdoors/hunting community that feel the public is better served by having the FEDS control public lands vs state control.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Damming up a creek or river to hold back water has been a big no no since the wild west days. Your blocking the flow of water to those down stream. This one could go either way. I don't think any of you would be happy if you had your creek dry up because someone up stream put in a dam to create a pond for themselves.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Interesting question

Damming up a creek or river to hold back water has been a big no no since the wild west days. Your blocking the flow of water to those down stream. This one could go either way. I don't think any of you would be happy if you had your creek dry up because someone up stream put in a dam to create a pond for themselves.
I wouldn't mind if there was a dam upstream as it might catch silt, even out the flow etc. If the upstream user dried up the stream by withdrawing too much water, I would have an issue but in this case it seems their withdrawal didn't change. However, the real no no is doing anything without asking EPA, "Mother, May I?" Unfortunately the EPA modus operandi is to find one person and attempt to hang them in order to scare everyone else. Since they have virtually unlimited funds for legal costs, it doesn't really matter if they win or lose. The outcome is the same as they will bankrupt families, businesses etc. even those who ultimately "win" a court case. :banghead:

It's not so much about protecting the environment as it is about protecting the power of those at the EPA. The only solution is for Congress to tell them to read and follow the constitution and to cut the budget enough so that only the real issues are addressed.

Treefarmer

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I saw this topic early on from a friend emailing it to me. I have not followed it much. My understanding was that the man did not dam up a stream, but rather, dug a hole that could catch rain water. Lord knows, half (or more) of the livestock in Texas drinks out of such as that.

The only limits I see that should ever be placed on such as this are, if a person is located in a city or town, so that their digging of the stock tank would cut or interfere with city water or sewer lines. No permit should be needed if one is away from those towns and cities enough to not have city utilities to deal with.

If anyone hears of a GoFundMe account set up to help out this man, will they post it up here. I'll bet most farmers and ranchers would donate $5 (some even more), and think of the impact and legal battle that the man could take to the Gov't then! Just need to get the word out.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
He has a pond, not a tank. :lol: Silly Texans.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Thing is, the guy had all the correct approval until the EPA just up and decided that he didn't anymore.

I've been trying to follow this story, but one of the downsides to things like this happening in small towns is that information tends to trickle out slowly and not always in mainstream sources.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
i did that once... and then the creek flooded out the dams and the folks down stream!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
the epa should be banished from the world. i would hate to hear of anyone else getting hurt from these b**theads. i think we all agree that the epa has overstepped their bounds by forcing us to put up with FT4 emissions junk in our machines. and now this... it never ends.

hhhmmmmm, i might want to fill in the creek i've been dredging.....

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
the epa should be banished from the world. i would hate to hear of anyone else getting hurt from these b**theads. i think we all agree that the epa has overstepped their bounds by forcing us to put up with FT4 emissions junk in our machines. and now this... it never ends.

hhhmmmmm, i might want to fill in the creek i've been dredging.....
The EPA at a time was a necessary evil (factories dumping crap into the rivers). now they have transformed into a pushy, boot jacking group that under most circumstances have expanded way beyond their usefulness. I have a pond I dug on my property that is all spring fed, My springs Not the EPA's or anyone else's. It feeds a stream that ultimately turns into a nice small slow flowing river that has brook trout, good clean water and takes care of a lot of fields and gardens downstream, (people pump the water from the stream) Anglers like the trout fishing I don't see why this would even be an issue yet if I did that today I would be arrested for creating a nice wildlife habitat. The DCR, Con Com, DEP and EPA can all go to a nice warm place down under as far as I am concerned.. Building a dam can be an issue if you don't take the time to build it right and know the streams capabilities in high water times.. That can and does cause issues with others downstream. I am against the building of dams unless you do go thru the army core of engineers before hand,, Just dig a hole like FG stated and let it fill in and flow normally.. and SC**W the EPA.. Just a bunch of thugs with power.. Hard to believe you cannot have a rain barrel, that's just plain nuts! That's taking conservation steps to water gardens etc, so what's the issue, stealing water from pervious soil??? That's crazy.. Who comes up with this nonsense? My wife is shaking her head in disbelief on that one.. I have to stop, this is driving me crazy..

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
They are running amuck, no doubt. But if industries would police themselves, it would be so much easier to get rid of them, as politicians could speak of "defunding them". As long as folks can take the cheap way out, and dump and pollute, and cities do not have to provide healthy drinking water, (how many areas are now under boil water orders?), all to save a few bucks to pay the shareholders and CEOs, the EPA will have a place, no matter how much some of us hate them.

This is just another example of how human greed and not caring, brought about a monster. :banghead:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,763 Posts
They are running amuck, no doubt. But if industries would police themselves, it would be so much easier to get rid of them, as politicians could speak of "defunding them". As long as folks can take the cheap way out, and dump and pollute, and cities do not have to provide healthy drinking water, (how many areas are now under boil water orders?), all to save a few bucks to pay the shareholders and CEOs, the EPA will have a place, no matter how much some of us hate them.

This is just another example of how human greed and not caring, brought about a monster. :banghead:
We probably do need some form of EPA, but folks with common sense and decency, not the stark raving mad enviro-whackos/crackpots who run it now.

A lot of common sense has been lost in this country and agenda driven nutjobs have taken over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts