Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have special family traditions for the Thanksgiving table? We are quite conventional here; turkey, dressing, mashed 'taters and giblet gravy; baked sweet potatoes. One thing I always look forward to, is the Oven Baked-Bacon Wrapped Green Beans! Sharn Jean makes them a couple times a year, especially at Thanksgiving. It's one thing I really look forward to.

FWIW, this has come up before, and the recipe is in the GTT Cookbook!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three years ago, I made venison chili for Wednesday the night before. I've made it since and have received many text messages making sure that I'd be making it again this year. So, accidentally a new tradition has been born. :good2:
Cool! That's the way traditions are born! Chili is a Halloween tradition here. We were pretty rural when we moved in this house; I used to stay home and give out the treats and Sharon would take the kids around in the car to let them do their trick-or-treat thingy. Dinner was a bit iffy; and we finally settled on me making chili (easy) so I could handle the little goblins too. It's been a tradition since 1972. No trick-or-treaters here any more, but we still have chili at our daughter's place on Halloween.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Cool! That's the way traditions are born! Chili is a Halloween tradition here. We were pretty rural when we moved in this house; I used to stay home and give out the treats and Sharon would take the kids around in the car to let them do their trick-or-treat thingy. Dinner was a bit iffy; and we finally settled on me making chili (easy) so I could handle the little goblins too. It's been a tradition since 1972. No trick-or-treaters here any more, but we still have chili at our daughter's place on Halloween.
I make Cinnamon rolls every Thanksgiving morning. No trick or Treaters here either. It's sad. Short story day after Halloween morning I asked my grandson if he brought me any of his candy and he looked at me with a deadpan face and said "If I wanted candy I should have gone Trick or Treating" so funny7

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I make Cinnamon rolls every Thanksgiving morning. No trick or Treaters here either. It's sad. Short story day after Halloween morning I asked my grandson if he brought me any of his candy and he looked at me with a deadpan face and said "If I wanted candy I should have gone Trick or Treating" so funny7
That is indeed funny!

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
All our family is gone in this life and we never had any children so just the two of us have a small turkey with all the fixings, a bottle of wine and then go for a walk out back (unless we get snow!) Our days are basically just the two of us and our cats now so we're used to it. The nephews and nieces have their own lives and some are states away. We are good with all this and we do enjoy each others company.
We do miss the days with family and actually had a hard time choosing which parents we would eat with first!. I will never forget the day back some 30 years ago we had Pizza and prime rib for Thanksgiving and my father was so agitated that he never stopped reminding us about it! So much for a new tradition! He was a strict traditional holiday food guy! Oh well, we are looking forward to our dinner next week as you all are and the party the next day in the rock N roll barn is expected to be a full house.. One of our friends that married an English girl and now lives in England is coming home for the holidays, we are excited about seeing him again.. In our opinion, our friends are our family and we love them like they're blood..
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving and I hope I didn't go of topic to far! Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Anyone have special family traditions for the Thanksgiving table? We are quite conventional here; turkey, dressing, mashed 'taters and giblet gravy; baked sweet potatoes. One thing I always look forward to, is the Oven Baked-Bacon Wrapped Green Beans! Sharn Jean makes them a couple times a year, especially at Thanksgiving. It's one thing I really look forward to.

I'll have to get Mrs. Taylor to do the oven baked bacon wrapped green beans that sounds pretty darned good! Thanks for the tip! Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All our family is gone in this life and we never had any children so just the two of us have a small turkey with all the fixings, a bottle of wine and then go for a walk out back (unless we get snow!) Our days are basically just the two of us and our cats now so we're used to it. The nephews and nieces have their own lives and some are states away. We are good with all this and we do enjoy each others company.
We do miss the days with family and actually had a hard time choosing which parents we would eat with first!. I will never forget the day back some 30 years ago we had Pizza and prime rib for Thanksgiving and my father was so agitated that he never stopped reminding us about it! So much for a new tradition! He was a strict traditional holiday food guy! Oh well, we are looking forward to our dinner next week as you all are and the party the next day in the rock N roll barn is expected to be a full house.. One of our friends that married an English girl and now lives in England is coming home for the holidays, we are excited about seeing him again.. In our opinion, our friends are our family and we love them like they're blood..
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving
and I hope I didn't go of topic to far!
Jeff
If my posts don't wander off a little or a lot, I think my original post was to esoteric to be of interest.

·
Registered
493 Posts

2lC-

Our T-Day of late starts with mimosas just after breakfast and with the Turkey in the oven. Alice's Restaurant is played at high noon off of the iPod/Klipsch docking station.

Turkey and the trimmings about 4:00PM, NFL on the television through the day. The festivities will migrate to the fire pit just before dark.

We add one or two new things each year.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, all, and stay safe...

Brian

·
Registered
11,748 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,406 Posts
I eat............a lot! :lol:
Yield not to temptation......................:lol::lol:

Thanksgiving with Christmas coming up too, you and me have a long, tough row to hoe. :banghead:
Snuck up to 202 lbs. last week.:nunu:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
our family get together's was huge, 2 shift's at the table's to get everyone thru the chow line:laugh: 40 to 50 people, and we used to butcher hog's on this day too, i have many a scar on my finger's, from cutting hog fat up, for to be made into lard.:laugh:

them day's are gone, as the elderly parent's and grand parent's have since passed on. the boy's go to their girl friend's and spouse's house's on Thanksgiving day. but always come home for Christmas.

so this year my one cousin called us, and asked if we would like to get together, so my one aunt who is 88, and my cousin(her daughter) and another aunt(i call her Granny, cause i lived with her and my uncle,who he is passed on)a few other cousin's and their spouse's are going to a restaurant for the day. wished my boy's and their better half's could be their too, but it isn't happening as it would mess their days up then.

this restaurant is actually owned by my wife's relation on her mother's side, which the name of it is called Coal Miner's Cafe, they even advertise on our local TV station:laugh: .

their ad's on TV show some good eating,:good2:so i will let uns know afterwards.

2lanecruzer--did ur family butcher back in it's day, nothing any better than jaw meat, and the tongue, cooked in the kettle, over a wood fire:lovetongue::eat::fed: boy, how i miss that. yum-yum!!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My grandparents on both sides did butcher, but my Dad was first generation off the farm, as was my Mom. The biggest thing we butchered was rabbits, squirrels, ducks, fish, etc. We didn't have Butterballs back then; Mom would get up at 2:00 in the morning to put the turkey on in order to cook it long enough to get it tender. Always a hen turkey; toms were so tough (or so my Dad said) that you could never get them tender.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Our extended family is very thin these days. Parents are long gone on both sides. As a matter of fact, Thanksgiving is the time of year my mom died many years ago at her age 48. Also lost several other family members including my father (who he and I had a very strained relationship, I left home at age 17) all of my grandparents and in-laws all between Thanksgiving and New Years day. So there has historically been a lot of family deaths around this 4 to 5 weeks for some reason. Actually, I counted and the total is 12 people. The year my mom died, we lost my mother, her step brother, my grandpa and my father's mother all in 4 weeks and two of them one day apart.

Mrs Bear and I (Yesterday was her Birthday by the way!) never had any children that we knew of and so we keep it pretty simple. One of my closest friends lost his 24 year old son to suicide 7 years ago during the holidays so we have my friend and his wife over for the day and we have Turkey, Dressing, Sweet potatoes, Corn Muffins, Macaroni Moose and of course Pumpkin and Derby pies. This year my sister and her daughter will be here as well and they were here last year also.

This year Thanksgiving Day also marks the 32nd Anniversary for Mrs Bear and I. The year we were married, we were married on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. That was when I owned the bakery chain and I worked from Friday at 10pm until 10 am Saturday, drive 60 miles and got married on Saturday afternoon, had our wedding reception Saturday night and Sunday evening, I went right back to work at the bakery. Owning the bakery was like being a dairy farmer, I never got any days off other than we were closed on Sunday (McDonald's was closed on Sunday in the town I operated in, that is how conservative it was).

Thanksgiving morning, I make home made Cinnamon Rolls with pecans in the early morning. We hang out and watch TV most of the day and eat and solve most of the worlds problems. Since I called the last election in advance exactly as it turned out ( I even called every states outcome correctly as well), they now think I have some special insight and connections (who knows, I have been to Trump tower several times but not in the last week).

So, Thanksgiving is a time of year of plenty of things to be thankful for but it also is the time of year when we have buried nearly everyone of our family members between Thanksgiving and New Years Day. But, what is done is done and all we can do is be hopeful for the future and thankful for our general overall health and situation.

I will have to post my Grandma's recipe for Macaroni Moose, it is REALLY GOOD! It's made with Elbow macaroni, Various cheeses, cream of mushroom soup, palmettos and numerous other things and baked in a 9x13 pyrex dish in the oven.....I will find the actual recipe and share it with the GTT family. It's really good........:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts

Thanksgiving with Christmas coming up too, you and me have a long, tough row to hoe. :banghead:
Every year!

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
2lC-

Our T-Day of late starts with mimosas just after breakfast and with the Turkey in the oven. Alice's Restaurant is played at high noon off of the iPod/Klipsch docking station.

Turkey and the trimmings about 4:00PM, NFL on the television through the day. The festivities will migrate to the fire pit just before dark.

We add one or two new things each year.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, all, and stay safe...

Brian
No fresh air with Alice's restaurant and the mimosas? It's just around back about a 1/4 mile from the railroad tracks Brian.... I call one of my friends at noon and just play/sing the chorus to the song and you can hear him laughing on the other end of the phone! Haven't missed calling him with that T day song in over 40 years. You enjoy the day too.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
If my posts don't wander off a little or a lot, I think my original post was to esoteric to be of interest.
Not at all, in fact I bet most posters here on GTT read all your posts with interest.... :hi:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Not at all, in fact I bet most posters here on GTT read all your posts with interest.... :hi:
I don't. :lol:
Just kidding 2LaneCruzer.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts

Ya, you and me both! Had my followup with my doc last week and the darned scale said I was at 230, I told the doc that thing needed to be calibrated,, she put me on a diet and gave me holy he double hockey sticks.. I told her it was all muscle and forget my 5'10" height and the Body mass index crap! She didn't buy it... :nunu:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts