Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the fan motor on an old dehumidifier. I have a multispeed motor that I salvaged from another dehumidifier that I would like to use. The old dehumidifier is a single speed, so my problem is figuring out how to wire the replacement motor to run on high speed.

By looking at the attached picture, can anyone instruct me on which wires to use for the hot and neutral. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
By looking at the attached picture, can anyone instruct me on which wires to use for the hot and neutral.
Hot to Black. Neutral to White. That's "assuming" H M L represents the 3 speeds. Hi Med Low.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
I need to replace the fan motor on an old dehumidifier. I have a multispeed motor that I salvaged from another dehumidifier that I would like to use. The old dehumidifier is a single speed, so my problem is figuring out how to wire the replacement motor to run on high speed.

By looking at the attached picture, can anyone instruct me on which wires to use for the hot and neutral. :dunno:
Be sure to add in the Motors Capacitor to those 2 colored wires(RD Red & BN Brown) on the motor. Just use the "WH" Common(White/Neutral) and the High Speed wire(Black/Hot wire) to hook to the 120 Volts

Cap off the other 2 wires Low & Med wires.

Note I think your missing the Capacitor to hook the Red and Brown Wire too. It may be still attached to the other Dehumidifier you got the motor out of. It would have been connected to the Red and Brown wire and hoping it is not part of a circuit board? You could always buy one it is a 5 uf Capacitor with a 250 volt rating. Could be a little blue or silver tubular shaped can the 2 wires hooked to at one end. It needs one to spin right on a Capacitor start motor.

The Green Wire is the Ground Wire.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to add in the Motors Capacitor to those 2 colored wires(RD Red & BN Brown) on the motor. Just use the "WH" Common(White/Neutral) and the High Speed wire(Black/Hot wire) to hook to the 120 Volts

Cap off the other 2 wires Low & Med wires.

Note I think your missing the Capacitor to hook the Red and Brown Wire too. It may be still attached to the other Dehumidifier you got the motor out of. It would have been connected to the Red and Brown wire and hoping it is not part of a circuit board? You could always buy one it is a 5 uf Capacitor with a 250 volt rating. Could be a little blue or silver tubular shaped can the 2 wires hooked to at one end. It needs one to spin right on a Capacitor start motor.

The Green Wire is the Ground Wire.
JD4044M,

Attached is a better picture of the motor. Yes I am missing the capacitor. I disconnected all the wiring, keeping only the motor as you see it. I will pm you shortly with additional information.

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Here is one pretty cheap but there are others.https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pro-TOC5-5-MFD-Oval-Motor-Run-Capacitor-370V?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh4LEcpXENe_FVPCw9abxdQpplL0oeC_zqMYy3xQLyKl5xBHKpMA4jsaAqziEALw_wcB

Cap 5uf.jpg

Here are a bunch of different types but the 5ufs will work even if they look different. Square, plastic, metal spade lugs wires. Does not matter what 2 wire connection is used on them going to the red and brown wires to work.https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=5+uf+motor&_sacat=0

Here is another type of one you could use; cap2.jpg

Can a fan run without capacitor?
In Ceiling Fans We use Capacitor start capacitor Run Induction motor. Without external force and without capacitor it will not run. ... Single phase induction motor is not self started due to the absence of starting torque. For resulting torque in fan motor and for rotation of fan, we have to use a capacitor.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Situation resolved.

A big "Thanks" to JD4044M for helping me to correctly wire this motor and explaining to me what a capacitor is and why it's needed. :bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts