Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed out to a local farm auction tomorrow, and one of the items that's up for sale is this tiller 26-FILEminimizer-1024x830.jpg .
What should I be looking at to make sure that it's a good buy, or things that might tell me not to buy. What would be a reasonable price to pay for this 60" unit as seen?
Thanks in advance
Geoff

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Check the lube in both gear boxes. Make sure it looks ok and not all foamy/watery/nasty/rusty. Maybe take along a small dowel or long straw or something you can stick in the fill hole (you'll need a wrench too) to stick into the lube and pull out to check. If you can tip it back enough you can manually turn the PTO shaft and see how everything turns. Hopefully smoothly with not a lot of slop. Then check the tines to see if any are broken or bent. Other than that, look for any cracks in welds or other areas of the unit. There isn't a lot to a tiller and shouldn't be much to go wrong unless someone didn't keep the lube filled and clean. Rust and bent stuff is the main potential problem. It's a KK so getting parts should be easy enough if needed.

Rob

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
From that pic, it's done more sitting than it has tilling! The tines still have paint on them, so either it didn't get used much or they have all been replace/repainted.

As stated, check the gearbox and U joints/PTO shaft. If all that looks good then it's up to you on how much you want to save vs new. That's a ~$1500 tiller new. I'd venture its still worth $900 easy.

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
I agree with both of the above, but you will not likely be able to turn that by hand (at least I know my tiller has to picked up to turn) but you should be able to reach under on the non gear side of the shaft and make sure there is no slop in that bearing. Overall I think it looks pretty good, been sitting quite awhile, but a tiller is pretty simple all in all.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Well, how was it? Did you buy it?

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back home from a long day, and you wouldn't believe what the tiller went for! $1200.00 was a little rich for my blood. My son and I were also looking at a maple syrup evaporator, and it sold for twice what I was willing to pay. When all was said and done, I spent $40.00 bucks on breakfast and had a wonderful day with my son.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sometimes auctions can be crazy. Get certain combinations of people together who are any deal less than full retail and the item will go way too high. Sometimes you get the competitive types and people end up paying more than retail because people don't know the actual value of something. Crazy. Well, I'm sure it was an interesting experience for you anyway.

Rob

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yep.

Every time I go to an auction. Somebody is just if not more interested in what I’m after. I hardly ever seem to get a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sometimes auctions can be crazy. Get certain combinations of people together who are any deal less than full retail and the item will go way too high. Sometimes you get the competitive types and people end up paying more than retail because people don't know the actual value of something. Crazy. Well, I'm sure it was an interesting experience for you anyway.

Rob

Last auction I participated in, I watched a '97 3500 dump truck go for $12.5k... :gizmo::hide::munch:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There was an auction last summer I went to with dad.
They had 2 3520s and they went appropriate for their hours/options.

There was an unfilled (beat up well used) ballast box that went for $425!!

Set of ?? forks that went for $600

6' 3 point cultivator went for $750

Yeah, I was out quick on those attachments...

Then a '12 F250 King Ranch diesel w/~65k miles sold for $22k, sadly I was up getting lunch at that time, and Dad didn't think I would want it as it was white and a KR...
The '10 Dodge dually w/cummins and ~80k miles sold for $29k

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You have about the same luck at auctions as I do, Cutty72. The suckers run year-round here, so I haven't bothered to attend one in years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts