Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tiny tractor followed me home so I had to find space in the barn.
The good:
Low price and very close to home, looks good at 10', motor runs like a sewing machine, newer rear tires, new battery, retired prior owner had it a very long time
The bad:
Brakes are nearly gone, desperately needs new seals, finicky starting, front tires have heavy dry rot

The clutch was sticky from lack of use but started to free up.

What was I thinking?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rod330/albums/72157662972766574

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
That's just beautiful! Reminds me when I was a kid and spent many hours on the same model mowing with a sickle bar.

And like you say - they sound like a well oiled sewing machine when running.

It's also such a nice size for a project tractor and to mow with. I wouldn't mind finding one like that in much worse condition and making a project of it.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Very nice, :bigthumb::bigthumb:just watch out for fence post. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Great looking little tractor, Rod330!! I couldn't quite make out the serial number to check the year, but I'm guessing it's an early 50's based on the hood and the mesh "grill".

It's also such a nice size for a project tractor and to mow with. I wouldn't mind finding one like that in much worse condition and making a project of it.
Is this what you're thinking of, coaltrain?

20141010_131707_1280x720.jpg

Yup, it's gonna be a project!! :laugh::flag_of_truce: Hopefully I can get started on it this summer.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Very nice, Rod.

I'm surprised to see such a wide mower on it. We used to have a cub when I was a kid. We had a single blade 42" (I think) mower on it. I don't think it would have pulled that wide mower.

One negative about using a cub for a mower is that it will 'push' the tractor forward when you press the clutch to try to stop. ...at least ours did. It didn't have a continuous PTO, nor even an 'over-running' PTO.

Even with these faults. We loved the cub. Dad finally traded it for a Deere 750.

Tim

·
Registered
21,452 Posts

View attachment 140993

Yup, it's gonna be a project!! :laugh::flag_of_truce: Hopefully I can get started on it this summer.
Oh man - yes! Looking at that pic brought a memory that I had forgotten about.....

I don't know, maybe 11-12 years old at the time. I had just mowed a field and was in second gear I think with the sickle bar raised just like in the photo. All of a sudden I found myself on the ground behind the tractor with it running away from me. Here that cross brace that goes to the front of the tractor underneath fell out of its socket, dropped to the ground, and caused the sickle bar itself to fall backward with force. I must have moved my head as it hit me square in the collar bone.

Jumped up and ran after the tractor to get it stopped. Turned out nothing broken - the brace just came loose. And I knew my collarbone was broken - oh did it hurt but my father would't take me to the doctor. Just work it out kid. I still have a lump on my collarbone today.

I would love to find one of those cubs for a project. Going to be keeping my eye out now.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I love those tractors. We had a Super A which is just a little bigger, and then I had a couple of the number series Cub LoBoys. That one looks like a great 'daily driver' with a little work, and set up with a plow and some cultivators it's a gardening dream. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Looks really good!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great looking little tractor, Rod330!! I couldn't quite make out the serial number to check the year, but I'm guessing it's an early 50's based on the hood and the mesh "grill".

View attachment 140993

I believe the serial number is 109568 which makes it a 1950 model. I love your Cub with the sickle bar...very cool and it reminds me of my Dad's Massey Harris Pony with the sickle bar.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Very nice, Rod.

I'm surprised to see such a wide mower on it. We used to have a cub when I was a kid. We had a single blade 42" (I think) mower on it. I don't think it would have pulled that wide mower.

One negative about using a cub for a mower is that it will 'push' the tractor forward when you press the clutch to try to stop. ...at least ours did. It didn't have a continuous PTO, nor even an 'over-running' PTO.

Even with these faults. We loved the cub. Dad finally traded it for a Deere 750.

Tim
Just read your post, my FIL bought a Farmall Cub from his FIL.35+yrs ago. FIL fixed the few items wrong with the tractor, repainted , new decals and then bought a belly mower. I think it was a 60" or close to that size, and worked great. Except when you came to the end of yard and had to turn and mow down the slope in our back yard. That tractor would take off and slide down are back yard and almost into the creek.
Everytime you pushed in the clutch to turn down the hill you was gone. He sold the tractor to a person owning a near level lot , he felt someone was going to get hurt or killed.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,408 Posts
Wow, in really great shape!!
Have a 1962 I inherited from my grandfather, still use it with the sickle bar to cut ditch banks.
Needs a brake job, maybe a new clutch or clutch adjustment, paint has faded so also needs a paint job, but
still runs great!
Hate the 6 volt electrical system though, wish it was 12, would be a lot simpler.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Very Cooooooool.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would love to find one of those cubs for a project. Going to be keeping my eye out now.
I know where there are two if them sitting right now. One with that exact setup but in better condition. They are on my other property in NC. I'll snap some pics next time I go.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I know where there are two if them sitting right now. One with that exact setup but in better condition. They are on my other property in NC. I'll snap some pics next time I go.
I'm sure glad you're a couple thousand miles away...

I do have some friends in Newcastle though...:laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
cub in the barn

Cool looking machine.I have one I use in the garden.They are fun to play with.It does a beautifu job with the cultivators,enjoy it,:greentractorride:Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts