Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little old school mowing with the Cub today....just 'cuz I felt like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:bigthumb: nothing wrong about that. very nice looking cub and woods mower-right:lol: back when i was akid--the neighbor just up the road had the very same machine to mow with. jeepers we would watch and just:lovetongue: wonder when we would maybe get a rider also:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
What a nice setup. Enjoy it and be proud of it. :good2::good2:

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
If I owned that, I'd want to mow with it too. :drinks:

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Boy does that bring back memories from when I was a kid (with a cycle bar on it). There is something about the sound of the engine/exhaust on these things that just sounds so good to me.

I've been tempted to get one to fix up but would never be able to climb up on it anymore.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice Cub. I grew up with one on our small farm. My grandfather used it as a brush hog and many other things he would put that poor machine through. They were tough machines. We had just about every implement and then some you could get with it.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I bought a '47 Cub a couple of months back. I just wanted one, and found this one local. I have since picked up a 54A blade, and I also want some other things for it, maybe even a fast hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a '47 Cub a couple of months back. I just wanted one, and found this one local. I have since picked up a 54A blade, and I also want some other things for it, maybe even a fast hitch.
That's a GREAT looking Cub- congratulations! It's a real hoot to operate one of these and replacement parts are plentiful. Be careful ordering some of the 3rd party replacement parts as they can be pure junk from China.

I'd love to find a set of front wheel weights like yours. I've seen two sets on our local Craigslist but they were sold within hours of posting. I'll have to stop by Burgh's Implement Salvage and pick around.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Some nice looking Cubs in this thread!! :bigthumb:

Hopefully mine will look that good one of these days. But... it's got a LONG way to go!
20141010_131600.jpg
I brought it home from WV (along with the old hay rake in the picture) back in October of 2010. It's on my "projects list", but has taken a back seat to earning a living and taking care of my parents. It's sat outside most of its life - at least since the early 70's or so (when Grandpa's barn fell down).

Rod330 - there's a guy in Northern KY, just about 30 miles south of Cinci, that parts out Cubs on CL all the time. He always has wheel weights. I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but depending on what you're looking for, it might be a nice excuse for a road trip.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Here’s mine. I mean my son’s cub.

There is some noise in the transmission and final drives so I’m gettin g ready to tear into that and replace bearings, bushing, and seals. It sat in a barn for ten years before I got it. So I’m thinking it would be good to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's a GREAT looking Cub- congratulations! It's a real hoot to operate one of these and replacement parts are plentiful. Be careful ordering some of the 3rd party replacement parts as they can be pure junk from China.

I'd love to find a set of front wheel weights like yours. I've seen two sets on our local Craigslist but they were sold within hours of posting. I'll have to stop by Burgh's Implement Salvage and pick around.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/d/farmall-cub-weights/6248714444.html

Where are you at in NEOH that your close enough to go to Burgh's?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/d/farmall-cub-weights/6248714444.html

Where are you at in NEOH that your close enough to go to Burgh's?
Son-of-a-gun....I'll have to call on those tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm about 50 minutes west of Akron but travel to our property near Franklin, Pa. on a regular basis. I just take a short detour south on 79 from 80. I can remember going to Burgh's as a kid with my dad. I thought it was the coolest place on the planet and some of their clunker tractors were in better shape than what we could afford.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I bought a set of rear weights for my Cub from JP Tractor Salvage in Fredricktown, Missouri. They're listed on their website for $65 a pair, but I only paid $60 without tax for a set when I bought mine a couple of months back.

JP Tractor Salvage - Parts

They had a lot of them sitting in a pile. The front weights are the same as the rear weights you find on Cub Cadets. Rear weights are 150 lbs each, while the front weights are 25 lbs each. You will need four 1/2 inch carriage bolts, 1.75 inches long (I have two inches on mine) for the front weights, and four 1/2 inch carriage bolts, 3 inches long for the rear weights. Be sure you use lock washers or self locking nuts. To mount the rear weights, it helps to have two people. What I done was to bolt a 4 x 4 piece of wood to a floor jack and place the 4 x 4 in the center hole of the weight and then just slid the jack against the wheel and jack up the weight to the right height and mounted each weight that way.

20140409_121518.jpg

This image isn't mine, but it's what I did when I mounted my rear weights. 150 lbs is a lot to lift......

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Oh, in addition to JP Tractor Salvage, here is another place to find parts for your Cub.

Tm Tractor TM Tractor Parts Quality New and Replacement Parts for McCormick Farmall Cub, International Cub, and International Lo-Boy

Steiner Tractor is another place you can find parts. https://www.steinertractor.com/

And one more place: HamiltonBobsCubs | IH Cub loboy 154, 185, and 184 - New Parts | Home

For a good forum for Cubs: Farmall Cub - Index page

There, after registering and having two posts under your belt, you can download manuals, brochures, etc.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I’ll second TM Tractor parts. I’ve bought a good bit of stuff from them. Always get things pretty quick and the prices seem reasonable for the quality of his parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Oh, in addition to JP Tractor Salvage, here is another place to find parts for your Cub.

Tm Tractor TM Tractor Parts Quality New and Replacement Parts for McCormick Farmall Cub, International Cub, and International Lo-Boy

Steiner Tractor is another place you can find parts. https://www.steinertractor.com/

And one more place: HamiltonBobsCubs | IH Cub loboy 154, 185, and 184 - New Parts | Home

For a good forum for Cubs: Farmall Cub - Index page

There, after registering and having two posts under your belt, you can download manuals, brochures, etc.
I think that "HamiltonBobs" deals mostly with Lo-Boys. He was super helpful and nice when I talked to him about parts for my Cub.

If you get on FarmallCub.com, you'll find a listing of local get togethers. One of the main guys on that board hosts a get together in the spring at his place north of Cincinnati. I went a couple of years ago just to check it out. It was pretty informal, but a lot of guys brought their tractors to be "fine tuned" by some of the experts there.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Also, I noticed the original poster here has the replacement fuel cap. For those who don't and still have the old original gas cap on their IH, you can get a free replacement cap. The old ones may cause a fire. Here is the site to get your free replacement cap:

International Harvester & Farmall Gasoline Fueled Tractor Gas Cap Recall

As for shows, I'm going to the annual Cub show in Fredricktwon, Missouri that's held each year on the last weekend of September each year. Cub-Arama: Cub-a-rama

https://www.facebook.com/cubaramatractorshow/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts