Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version: how do I get a non-running Farmall 656 Hydro off a trailer? :dunno:

The long version: You know that little voice in your head that tries to warn you when you are about to do something dumb? (Mine sounds a lot like my wife :nunu:) Well, I went to buy a little flatbed trailer that I found on Craigslist a few weeks ago. When I got to the place, it turned out to be a big estate sale. None of the kids wanted to move back from the city after their folks went to a nursing home, so everything was being sold and hauled off. One of the kids took me around back to show me the trailer. He told me that it had a tractor on it that he couldn't figure out and asked if I would take it with the trailer at full asking price just to get it out of there. Before that little voice had a chance to stop me, I agreed to buy the trailer with the mystery tractor on it before we had even gotten to it. :gizmo:

It turns out the trailer was worth every penny of the $1400 I paid. All the lights and brakes work! Solid deck and good tires, what more could you ask for?

I have no idea what I got myself into with the tractor... It is a Farmall 656 Gasoline Hydro and other than a lot of bird poo on the hood and seat, it is cosmetically in great shape. The engine is free; I can wiggle the crank pulley back and forth a few degrees. I have no idea what condition the hydrostatic drive is in. All that appears to be missing is the rotor off the distributor... a common way to lock-up your tractor around here. I know absolutely nothing about the tractor beyond what I just wrote here. I have a manual on the way, but I need to get it off the trailer before it will get here. Is there a freewheel lever like a riding lawn mower to disengage the hydrostatic and let me roll it off the trailer?

My plan is to get it running again. I think it would make a great brush-hogging and snow plowing tractor.

Does anyone have any tips or helpful hints for me? I've never owned or worked on anything with a hydrostatic transmission before.

Thanks in advance. Pictures will be posted as soon as a have it off the trailer and in the shed.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Sweet! :yahoo:

I don't know squat about that tractor so I can't help you there, but it sounds like you have a new toy to play with.

I wouldn't have listened to that little voice either...:lolol:

Enjoy your new "project" :kidw_truck_smiley:

Looking forward to the pictures...:munch:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
HI/LOW/NEUTRAL Shifter? Seems like there should be a neutral you can get in to??

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI/LOW/NEUTRAL Shifter? Seems like there should be a neutral you can get in to??
To be honest, I checked the crank pulley, made sure the chains were set right, drove it straight home, and threw a tarp over it. It is still tarped... I haven't even climbed onto the operator's platform yet. My wife knows I have something on a trailer, but if she knows it's another tractor then she hasn't said anything. :hide: And if she does ask, she won't be able to argue with "free tractor". :lol:

I have found a few clips on YouTube which show a small lever to the left of the hydrostatic control lever on the left side of the dash. I'm going to assume that is the high/low/neutral shifter.

Once I get "Red" into the garage I plan on trying to get the engine going again. I don't think it will take much because I know the pistons aren't stuck. Just to be sure, I think I will put a little diesel or marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and on the valves/rockers and spin it over with a wrench a few times before I try to crank it. All the spark plugs were in it and there was both a coffee can and a flapper on top of the exhaust so nothing should have been able to get in there. Then again, there are only two reasons to put a tractor on a trailer... And I doubt this one was going to a show.

Hey, it's a free tractor... What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
770 Posts
656's were pretty awesome back in the day.
SCORE!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

I do remember the things were kinda expensive, and the old timers were leery of drive troubles, that "So and so" had with his, and cost as much as a used tractor to fix.

If you get good compression, and get it to fire on Ether, I'd be nervous about why it was parked.:hide:
The rotor was pulled, and it was on the trailer, so somebody was concerned about it getting started and driven off...I have my fingers crossed for ya! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My uncle had a 656 gas Hydro. I loved driving this rig. It was the first Hydrostatic transmission tractor I had ever seen.
It worked great on PTO implements...mowing, grinding feed, etc. It was also really good on a loader for the obvious reasons.

Some negatives...
I cultivated corn with it one summer. The rear-end got incredibly hot when used for long term. The platform would get so hot that it was hard to keep your feet on it.

The transmission failed repeatedly. Even then (mid 70's), it was $5,000+repair each time. It simply wouldn't handle any ground engaging implements, even something fairly light draft like a row-crop cultivator as I mentioned above.

International Harvester really took a risk with this tractor. It was WAY ahead of its time. When it worked, it was as smooth as today's hydrostatic tractors. ...and it was incredibly fun to drive. Many of us consider the hydrostatic "normal" now, but back then it seemed like magic.

Having said all of this, I have no idea how to help you with your question. I just couldn't resist reminiscing a bit about the 656.

If you can get it running, it will be perfect for mowing and plowing snow.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rotor was pulled, and it was on the trailer, so somebody was concerned about it getting started and driven off.
That thought had crossed my mind too. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic and not get too excited.

I hadn't thought about starting it on ether first. That's not a bad idea. I figured I would have to drain any old gas and clean out the carb, but ether might be safer and easier than gasoline to get those first few rotations.

I have heard from others that it doesn't make a good tillage tractor because of the hydro drive. I'm kinda bummed because I was considering the idea of making it into a puller. Still, 60 horsepower will make a monstrous brush hogger and snow power for what I need. I would really like to find a loader for it... assuming of course that I can wake it up!

·
Registered
754 Posts
A FARMALL gas 656 Hydro as a pulling tractor is not a good idea. The gas engine limits HP, the hydro sucks up HP. Diesel gear drives make the best pullers.

The hydro speed & direction lever is on the left side of the console, the range lever on the right, high & low, and in the middle is neutral, which should be safe to tow the tractor. I think the 656 had mechanical brakes so should be able to stop without the engine running, think it steers too.

FARMALL built their own hydrostatic drives. They were able to be used for heavy pulling, but their best use was pulling PTO implements in variable conditions, and as loader tractors. The thing they were most sensitive about was not having the oil & filter changed as specified. And IH Hy-Tran was the preferred oil.

IH ended up making hydro tractors over 100 PTO HP eventually, a 4WD hydro with a cab made an excellent snow blower tractor. IH also made several sizes of smaller hydro's, and most of their construction line of tractors had a hydro transmission option. A lot of other equipment companies bought IH hydro tractors to mount their attachments to, Barber-Greene asphalt paving machines, Chisolm-Ryder harvesting machines. I've never heard of another company making a hydro tractor in the range of sizes IH did, 40-50 HP to 113 HP, maybe some short line company like Toro, or some imported turf maintenance company, but not Massey- Ferguson, Deere, Allis, Ford, or White.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

Climbed under the tarp to look some things over today and here is what I found:

The good news: The hydrostatic range lever was left in the LOW position. I'm going to assume that meant that the tractor was driven onto the trailer. :good2: In addition to a rear remote, there also appears to be hose hookups for what I assume to be a loader resting on the back of the bell housing.

The bad news: This thing must have hydrostatic steering too because when I grabbed the steering wheel, it turned but the wheels didn't. It didn't spin freely... it felt like trying to turn the wheel on my dad's X585 when it isn't running. Can anyone vouch for hydrostatic steering on a 656? :flag_of_truce:

I think I'm going to have to get it running before I try to unload it. Rolling a tractor without steering off of a trailer is not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes, 656's had hydrostatic steering, but they should provide steering without the engine running. Something else to work on! At least the brakes are mechanical.

·
Registered
741 Posts
And if she does ask, she won't be able to argue with "free tractor". :lol:
I wish I could offer some meaningful technical advice and I'm hoping you'll find a way to get it running. However, I'm equally interested in hearing about you wife's reaction to a "free tractor". Let me know how that goes....I'd never be able convince my wife that I got a "free tractor"! :laugh:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

I was able to get it running with minimal fuss. I replaced the points and condenser as well as the cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs. I live about 45 minutes away from Steiner Tractor so getting parts is really easy for me. The carb only needed a quick cleaning because the gas had been drained out of it before it sat. Changed the coolant, gas, and engine oil. Dropped in a new battery and it fired right up. All of the gauges even worked!

When I explained my free tractor to my wife, she rolled her eyes and told me to "have fun". I detected subtitle hints of sarcasm in her voice, but chose to ignore it.

I drove it into town to the quarter car wash and gave it a good scrub down. As I was getting ready to leave, a guy pulled up and started asking questions about the tractor. It turns out that he collects IH tractors, but doesn't have any of the hydro models. He was short on cash, so he offered me a trade; my International for his truck camper. That's when I realized that I had absolutely no reason to have a 50hp tractor. A camper on the other hand is something I can find a use for.

Then I had to explain to my wife how I left with a tractor and returned with a camper. Keep in mind that I had to do this only a few hours after explaining the tractor in the first place. Lucky for me, my wife is both understanding and likes camping.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
Update...

I was able to get it running with minimal fuss. I replaced the points and condenser as well as the cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs. I live about 45 minutes away from Steiner Tractor so getting parts is really easy for me. The carb only needed a quick cleaning because the gas had been drained out of it before it sat. Changed the coolant, gas, and engine oil. Dropped in a new battery and it fired right up. All of the gauges even worked!

When I explained my free tractor to my wife, she rolled her eyes and told me to "have fun". I detected subtitle hints of sarcasm in her voice, but chose to ignore it.

I drove it into town to the quarter car wash and gave it a good scrub down. As I was getting ready to leave, a guy pulled up and started asking questions about the tractor. It turns out that he collects IH tractors, but doesn't have any of the hydro models. He was short on cash, so he offered me a trade; my International for his truck camper. That's when I realized that I had absolutely no reason to have a 50hp tractor. A camper on the other hand is something I can find a use for.

Then I had to explain to my wife how I left with a tractor and returned with a camper. Keep in mind that I had to do this only a few hours after explaining the tractor in the first place. Lucky for me, my wife is both understanding and likes camping.
Kind of reminds me of the story were "Jack" was supposed to sell the cow and came home with "beans"

I would have kept the tractor :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the story were "Jack" was supposed to sell the cow and came home with "beans"

I would have kept the tractor :laugh::laugh:
I have had a few people tell me that actually! If we still had our farm then I would have kept it, but now we live on a one acre lot a mile outside of town. I'm having to dig really deep in order to justify keeping my little M, but even it will probably be up for sale soon so I can make room to restore my grandfather's 70 diesel. There was no way I could possibly come up with a remotely sane reason to keep the 656.

image.jpeg

I don't know why my iPad posts pictures upside down... It only does it here for some reason.

Here is the camper on my truck for the first time while I measured it for rear tie-downs. It is a 1997 Lance with the cold weather camping package; not the prettiest thing, but it was very well taken care of and has no leaks. I have receipts going back to the day he bought it. The only issues with it was the wasp nest the size of a softball in the battery compartment, and the tail lights don't work properly. The previous owner had the camper mounted on the front of his gooseneck and never used them.

In the end, we both got something we wanted in exchange for something we didn't want anymore. Was the tractor monetarily worth more? Probably, but remember that I got it for free and didn't even have $200 into it. The camper is definitely worth more than $200.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the universe is trying to tell me something...

I recently got offered a deal on some acreage that was simply too good to pass up. The property includes a house that needs to be "copper mined" and then demolished, a garage and milk house that are full of junk, an orchard which has run wild for 10 years, and an equipment shed... Anyone want to guess what's in the equipment shed?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I recently got offered a deal on some acreage that was simply too good to pass up. The property includes a house that needs to be "copper mined" and then demolished, a garage and milk house that are full of junk, an orchard which has run wild for 10 years, and an equipment shed... Anyone want to guess what's in the equipment shed?
That is amazing. There weren't THAT many 656 Hydro's made were there? You have now encountered two of them by chance.
Does this one run?

Tim

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Maybe a few

That is amazing. There weren't THAT many 656 Hydro's made were there? You have now encountered two of them by chance.
Does this one run?

Tim
It looks like there were around 8,500 656s made but I don't know how many had hydros. I think I know of one, maybe two locally but we used to have a local IH dealer.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts