Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found yet another attachment to spend money, I don't have on.
It's a used Farmi 351 winch for clearing deadfall and thinning my 20 acres.
Anyone want to chime in with pro's/con's or advice?
Anyone ever use one to pop stumps?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Great tool but not for stumps

Well, I found yet another attachment to spend money, I don't have on.
It's a used Farmi 351 winch for clearing deadfall and thinning my 20 acres.
Anyone want to chime in with pro's/con's or advice?
Anyone ever use one to pop stumps?
I think a Farmi or similar winch is a great tool for logging, moving laps, getting things unstuck and anywhere you want a controlled pull. It can probably get some stumps out as well but would not be my first choice. It's surprisingly hard to get stumps out with a straight pull unless you cut some roots first.

I'm not knocking the winch, I'd love to have one but not necessarily for stumps. If you do get it, remember to use the winch as a winch not as a way to pull with a running start on the tractor.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a Farmi or similar winch is a great tool for logging, moving laps, getting things unstuck and anywhere you want a controlled pull. It can probably get some stumps out as well but would not be my first choice. It's surprisingly hard to get stumps out with a straight pull unless you cut some roots first.

I'm not knocking the winch, I'd love to have one but not necessarily for stumps. If you do get it, remember to use the winch as a winch not as a way to pull with a running start on the tractor.

Treefarmer
Ya, I know, now I need a d--n backhoe right!
I've got some old stumps I've mildly pushed against with the loader up high, not enuf tractor weight.
I may chain the tractor to a tree and give a little tug with the winch. My soil is mainly sand.
I will pop some roots with the grapple first though.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Be careful

Ya, I know, now I need a d--n backhoe right!
I've got some old stumps I've mildly pushed against with the loader up high, not enuf tractor weight.
I may chain the tractor to a tree and give a little tug with the winch. My soil is mainly sand.
I will pop some roots with the grapple first though.
I think the Farmi can be set down on the ground hard enough so the tractor shouldn't slide. I wouldn't play tug of war with the tractor in the middle by chaining the tractor to a tree. I suspect you could end up splitting the tractor depending on how you chained it.

If you need to stop things from sliding, take the loader and dig down about 6" or so and set the Farmi frame in that so that all the stress is on the winch and not on the tractor. If you need to, get a snatch block and use that to double to pull on the stump. It will be slow but you can exert a lot of force that way. Attach the block to the stump, run the cable through the block and back to a tree close to your tractor. There will be 1/2 the force on the tractor compared to what's on the stump. Just make sure your attachment to the stump can handle the pull.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
141 Posts
FIL got a skidder winch attachment for his 5045E tractor and we use it a TON, but only for pulling felled trees. Can't remember on the brand, but it came from the JD dealer. It works pretty well, but some things, if heavy enough, won't work. Dunno how well I'd trust it to work on stumps... we've never tried to use it for that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I may chain the tractor to a tree and give a little tug with the winch.
This is how you break your tractor in half.

There was one on CL for like $3500 and I think that guy was on crack. I paid $3800 for my NEW Wallenstein FX85.

Lots of videos on Youtube of these devices in action. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I actually use my winch to pull saplings out (roots and all) all the time. Park the tractor, pull the cable out to the work area, hook up, go back to the tractor and pull rope to engage the winch and the tree comes right out. Go back to work area and repeat. Then All I have to do is hop on the tractor and scoop up all the laid over trees with the grapple and drive them off to wherever I'm putting them.

The problem with the OP's idea is that anchoring his little tractor is a good idea since it doesn't weigh enough. That's when you put stresses through it that it wasn't designed for (and bad things happen). I have dual winches on my atv, and since it only weighs 800#, I often anchor one to a tree and pull with the other. It's nearly flipped the machine more than once. It's also a steel frame and the way the winches are mounted they'll fail before the frame is damaged. I'd never do that with something that I wasn't sure would move first.

Stumps can be real buggers. You don't want to pull on them with something that can't move before it fails.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I once pulled the park pawl out of my chevy truck pulling out a hedge with a warn 1200# winch. I learned an expensive lesson that day. Helping next door neighbor I broke the park pawl right off. to remove and repair was 2300$$

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I once pulled the park pawl out of my chevy truck pulling out a hedge with a warn 1200# winch. I learned an expensive lesson that day. Helping next door neighbor I broke the park pawl right off. to remove and repair was 2300$$
That seems a bit much, as usually the "Park" mechanism is in the extension housing and it can be slid off without removing the transmission. Was your truck a 4x4? That would certainly complicate it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually use my winch to pull saplings out (roots and all) all the time. Park the tractor, pull the cable out to the work area, hook up, go back to the tractor and pull rope to engage the winch and the tree comes right out. Go back to work area and repeat. Then All I have to do is hop on the tractor and scoop up all the laid over trees with the grapple and drive them off to wherever I'm putting them.

The problem with the OP's idea is that anchoring his little tractor is a good idea since it doesn't weigh enough. That's when you put stresses through it that it wasn't designed for (and bad things happen). I have dual winches on my atv, and since it only weighs 800#, I often anchor one to a tree and pull with the other. It's nearly flipped the machine more than once. It's also a steel frame and the way the winches are mounted they'll fail before the frame is damaged. I'd never do that with something that I wasn't sure would move first.

Stumps can be real buggers. You don't want to pull on them with something that can't move before it fails.
Thanks to you all. I will reconsider my obviously hazardous to my tractor idea.
I wasn't going to do this on fresh 24" stumps, but I've got some old buggers that the roots are probably rotted on.
I'll sink the Farmi blade and leave the chain off my bolted together in the middle tractor and make a video after the ground thaws up here.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is how you break your tractor in half.

There was one on CL for like $3500 and I think that guy was on crack. I paid $3800 for my NEW Wallenstein FX85.

Lots of videos on Youtube of these devices in action. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
A new Farmi 351, I could have gotten for 4200.00 plus the governors share.
I found the one I bought for 2500.00 no tax.
I also got 3 sliders, 2 choker chains, a cant hook, and the best part a self-release snatch block.
The less than shiny paint will turn green this summer anyway.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Might be the same one, only he lowered his price? I'm not seeing it listed anymore.

Red is a good color for the winch. It's highly visible when driving down the street (I still put a reflective triangle on the back of mine), but it's also easier to find if you have an emergency crew looking for the guy pinned under the tree. :treehugger:

They're SUPER HANDY! The loggers left a bunch of trees snagged at my place and all I have to do is walk up to them and hook the choker on and pull a rope and the whole mess pulls out of the tree nowhere near me. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might be the same one, only he lowered his price? I'm not seeing it listed anymore.

Red is a good color for the winch. It's highly visible when driving down the street (I still put a reflective triangle on the back of mine), but it's also easier to find if you have an emergency crew looking for the guy pinned under the tree. :treehugger:

They're SUPER HANDY! The loggers left a bunch of trees snagged at my place and all I have to do is walk up to them and hook the choker on and pull a rope and the whole mess pulls out of the tree nowhere near me. :drinks:
Where did you see one listed?
I bought mine in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never searched the industrial section.
I might be better if I don't!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The big toys are all in there. :laugh:

I look at farm section too, but seems like some farm people think their stuff is industrial as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts