Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad died last Sunday. Monday I was on my tractor in my orchard setting heavy 6x6x16ft posts for the trellis system for the 230 cider apple trees I just planted. To give my back a rest, I started pulling nails from a pile of 2x4s. It started to rain. I started to cry.

My dad taught me a lot of things about pulling nails and saving the wood, about work, about quality and precision, about doing things for yourself...just because. He taught me a lot about life and humor and love.

I wished I'd thanked him more.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your dad would be proud that you that you remember what he taught you, and that you follow his teachings.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Sorry to hear briansims, Thanks for the post, it made me stop and think of my father who passed away years ago. Thoughts of my father did not go away with time as some would think. I figure the memories/thoughts are what we are blessed with, hard to grasp but enjoy them.
Again, sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
briansims:

I am very sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my Dad 30 years ago tomorrow and had and still have the same feelings that you express. As Gizmo says, you will think about him every day for the rest of your life.

Don

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I can totally relate to what you are feeling, sometimes tears at the loss, but sometimes heart smiles at a good memory

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
I'm sure your dad is very proud of you. I'm truly sorry for your loss...... Try not to regret, but celebrate who he was and your time with him.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
At the beginning of the week I had the feeling that I may lose my FIL. He may not my birth father but has been a better father in the 10 years than my own has been in 30 years. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kind words.

One of my dad's projects was restoring a 1923 Model T flat bed truck (all black naturally). It is probably 85% complete with the engine running. For the past couple of years, I bugged him about finishing the project, by saying, "You don't want your first ride in the thing to be in an urn!" Well, it looks like that's going to be what happens.

My family is not one for sad, churchy kinds of memorial services. So we've decided to have a big bash on the beach in August. My brother and I have decided to secretly finish the Model T by August...enough so we can have our own little parade for my dad.

Any ideas for web sites or references for restoring Model Ts would be most helpful especially knowledgeable people in Washington state.

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
briansims

So sorry to hear the loss of your father. As others have said , there are very few days go by that you don't think of Dad or in my case Dad and Mom.
Dad would have been 95 , 2 days ago, he died in 81 . felixm22 was saying about his FIL , I still have mine not sure how many more days or years he's 86 so he has been Dad every since.
Finishing the Model T flat bed would be nice to show the love of your father and for what he has taught you .

Prayers to you and your family for your loss.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry for your loss, lost my dad in Oct. 2001, He was born and raised in the cotton fields of Arkansas, later years moved to MI. and became the caretaker of a cemetery and helped develop it. We as a family actually lived in the cemetery for 35yrs. ( have a lot of ghost and other stories :laugh:), that is now his final resting place and is only about 10 mi. from my current home so I visit frequently. When I drive around in the cemetery I get a flood of memories of my childhood and all the things my dad taught me, I will never forget him.
Again, sorry for your loss our prayers go out to you and your family.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The best thing we can all do for our dads is to try and make them proud. I am positive you have done that.

Truly sorry for your loss...

Jim

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Sympathies to you and your family, so sorry for your loss. My father passed in 2006, at the "young" age of 100 yrs and 2 months, my mother left us 24 years earlier. But they both live on, if not in body, than definitely in spirit. They still guide me in day to day decisions, as I usually ask to myself "What would my father and mother say about this ... or that." I am what I am only because of who my parents were. I still miss them, but I think of them every day.

It's hard at first when they pass, but it does get better, but never let your memory of them fade.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I have noticed, that after 30 years, the things that used to make me tear up and feel sad, now make me smile when I think about the things that my Dad and I have done together.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Briansims,

Sorry about your loss. I can relate. I lost my father and mother many years ago. They were both very young and went too soon. I'm glad for the time and the lessons they taught me. Your father will always be with you.

Frank

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
briansims

I can only offer my condolences on your loss.

As others have said, you will think of him more often than you realize, and the pain will soften, and eventually it will become a little smile.

One of the greatest thanks we can extend our parents is to grow up to be good people.

My godfather told me this - Your father gave you the only one thing, his name. It is the only real thing a man has. Honor his name and you will honor him.

It sounds like your father was a pretty good guy. Apples don't fall far from the tree.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your thoughtful words.

Yesterday at a family get together, my dad's irreverent humor was still with us, when one of us mused, "Should we put a soda cracker in with dad's ashes so they don't clump together?"

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm so deeply sorry for your loss Brian. My deepest sympathies for you and your family during these tough times.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
Thank you all for your thoughtful words.

Yesterday at a family get together, my dad's irreverent humor was still with us, when one of us mused, "Should we put a soda cracker in with dad's ashes so they don't clump together?"
briansims,, As I said before so very sorry for your loss, and no way do I want to take away from your loss so ,others on the forum this is not for me just a reminder of our parents. My mother passed away 8 yrs ago, was always joking around with our minister. Mom got the last laugh , at the graveside our minister standing in front of Mom and Dads grave marker . While we are pulling up to the site, the minister moves , slips and fell about 1/2 way into Moms grave. His back side is covered with mud, we still laugh about it today.

"Should we put a soda cracker in with dad's ashes so they don't clump together" will be one of those things your can remember the rest of your life !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts