Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what folks like to use to dig out shrubs. With my garden tractor, I'd just wrap a tow strap around the shrub as close to the ground as possible, engage the locking diff, and pull in a few directions. That had about a 30% success rate. I suspect that method will work a LOT better with the 1025R with 4WD and a lot more torque. I also saw a TTWT video on youtube with a HeavyHitch toothbar attached to the bucket that seemed to work pretty well.

What do you use?

The previous owners of our house apparently never saw a shrub species they didn't like so there are random mixed shrubs of all types all over the place. The missus has asked for me to bring order to the chaos. :)

Best,

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
I just ripped out all the shrubs in our front yard a few weeks ago. (they were a bit of a mess and the previous owner had planted all of the tall shrubs in front of windows and short shrubs between windows...) Mugo Pines, a couple of cedars, some rhododendrons, a Privet, etc...

I put the forks on my loader, pointed them downward and slipped them under the root ball. Then curl up and pop the root ball out of the ground. I can reposition as necessary to pick the whole thing up with the forks and bounce it a few times to shake dirt off the root ball. Then I just drive them over to my burn pile to dry out. I'll burn the whole pile next winter.

If you want to relocate a shrub you can pop them out with the forks and then switch over to a bucket to pick up the entire root ball (with dirt) and take to where ever you want to relocate them to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
With a garden tractor and limited attachments, the choices are pretty slim. But if your still doing the strap and yank method, you may want to soak the area around the base with a hose for a while.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Chain wrapped around the shrub base and attached to the draw bar, 4WD low, and go usually works for me. Besides, what’s the fun in having a tractor if you can’t play a little tug of war occasionally. :)

Plus it pulls up a lot of roots that I would otherwise leave behind if I dug the bush out.

Of course I have pulled up the occasional low voltage sprinkler system wire or buried sprinkler system water line that the roots have grown around, but I’d probably cut those with a shovel or pop them up with the forks or a stump bucket anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I use my grapple or stump bucket for brush and shrubs. The grapple works best because you can clamp over the top of the brush, bush, or shrub, curl the grapple and rip it out, then shake the grapple to drop all of the dirt back in the hole.

·
Registered
2017 3032e ,D160 fel, box blade, bush hog pallet forks,
115 Posts
I suggest watch a YouTube video on" pulling trees with a tire" it was interesting and works.I pulled small trees using this method.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I tried My 1025r and it did nothing when I tried to pull out some Arborvitves Tried the 4500 lb winch on my Ranger but it wouldn’t budge, added a snatch block, still nothing. Hooked my F150 up and put it in Low range 4x4 andit didn’t even spin a wheel. Just pulled it out with no drama or stopping. Use your truck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just removed a few this past weekend with the HH tooth bar.

It worked well but I made sure to tell the wife it would have been a lot easier if she had ok'd the backhoe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.