Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

Why? I use them to maintain batteries, not necessarily to charge dead ones - the company makes larger units to do that, otherwise it would take a while @ 750ma. Own a couple of them, never damaged any battery they have been on. The kit comes with the harness to hard wire to a battery and I can unplug from that and use the traditional clamps on another if necessary. Plenty of cheaper knock-offs, but the original has worked well for me.

·
Administrator
22,931 Posts
There is only one "Battery Tender" made by Deltran, it's a brand name like "Kleenex".

I have many of the BT JR's, they have never let me down.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Same as the other 2, why change a good thing.

Reactions: 130Oxbow

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Deltran Battery Tender. My first one came with a BMW that I bought in 1986. I still have and use both the car and the battery tender. Over the years I have added many more - including for lithium battery charging, a couple of Deltran solar panels for the cars that I keep outdoors and not near an outlet, a 6 volt tender/charger for my electric fence batteries. In 2007 and 2013 I bought Lexus SUV's, and they also came with Lexus-labeled Deltran battery tenders.

The beat up look of my original came from forgetting about it and having it get caught in the cooling fan. It took a licking and kept on ticking.

Blue Motor vehicle Gas Gadget Bag

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I had an old Deltran "Super Smart" Battery Tender, probably about 25 years old. I wasn't sure how well it worked as I had it attached to my Harley battery and it didn't really extend the life of the battery, had to replace it each year when I was actively riding. Deltran has probably improved in recent years, so I'm not knocking the brand.

I have since moved on to NOCO, got a couple of small 1A units and a 3.5A unit. The larger unit has a desulfating setting which the smaller ones don't, though they all should automatically desulfate somewhat (I believe). There were a few other brands I looked at, but NOCO had good reviews and have a wide array of connection pigtails, such as alligator clips, lighter plug, direct wire, OBD port and a remote charge port that fits into the empty hole in the dash of my 1026R. NOCO also had some solar maintain panels that also could use the same pigtails. Last I looked, some of those pigtails may no longer be available.

No complaints so far.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
2020 1025R
992 Posts
Deltran units are nice. I have an old unit that I got from Deka when I used to buy a lot of AGM batteries from them (mumble) years ago. :) I've thought about buying something more "modern", but this thing just keeps on chugging.

Best,

·
Premium Member
17,254 Posts
I have two of the Deltran Battery Tender Jr.'s and two of their 10 watt solar powered tenders. All have been flawless.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
4amp deltran model at Costco. $39.99, the motorcycle is on it now. Also have a deltran solar powered 10watt one, both work well.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had a Battery Tender Plus for over 25 years. It does what it's supposed to do - every time!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I bought the Deltran Battery Tender charger for both Li-Ion and lead acid batteries as I have Li-Ion batteries for both of my motorcycles and lead acid batteries for my tractors.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Maybe I don't understand the difference between battery tender and float charger, but I just use these:

Is that not a "battery tender"?

I also had one of (and will buy another of) these, it's a charger and maintainer in one. Great unit but mine went missing somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Maybe I don't understand the difference between battery tender and float charger, but I just use these:

Is that not a "battery tender"?

I also had one of (and will buy another of) these, it's a charger and maintainer in one. Great unit but mine went missing somehow.

It is not a "Battery Tender".

As @Kennyd said: Battery Tender is a registered trademark of Deltran Inc. Similar to kleenex is to tissue or xerox is to photocopy, "BatteryTender(R)" is to a battery trickle charger/maintainer.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
1996 JD 955. 2017 z355e.
73 Posts
I’ve had decent success with the master force brand battery tender and auto maintainer. 40 bucks. And Ive had some COLD nights.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I use Schumacher brand battery maintainer. Buy them at TSC, Wally World, and most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Deltran units are nice. I have an old unit that I got from Deka when I used to buy a lot of AGM batteries from them (mumble) years ago. :) I've thought about buying something more "modern", but this thing just keeps on chugging.

Best,
I've been thinking that Deka is one of the East Pen-manufactured battery brand names. Was Deka an independent manufacturer back in the day?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.