Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys have your favorite tools and what they are. You know the ones, the ones you just don't want to live without, or just fun to use. I will start out with this one.

My 2 post car lift, great for more than you can imagine. Not only for working the underside of a vehicle, but great for cleaning and waxing. Or, engine work when you have to keep going from top to bottom. Here is the one I have, had to cut six inches out of the height to fit in the building.

http://www.alm-autolift.com/lifts_automotive_car_auto_lifts.php

One of the projects on my many list of things to do is to make an adaptor to fit the tractors.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, I have another one. My Stihl BR600 backpack blower. The hand held can not even come close to this. This one I have to get to before my mom or I am out of luck. This thing is great!:yahoo:

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/backpack.html

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I forgot, the tractors are a given.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hmmm....Tough to choose....

I LOVE my 3/8" Cordless Impact...use it for everything:

But the tool I use the most and probably love the most is my Milwaukee Porta Band with the Swag Off Road stand...

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I could not begin to nail it down to one, perhaps 20 maybe...but each "job" has a favorite tool.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Well, of course my favorite tool is the one that lets me get the job done, but I know that's now what you're asking.

I have an old Craftsman Cotter Pin Puller tool, looks like an awl that got caught up in some gears or something. It's great for pulling out all sorts of stuff. I have a few dentist tools that are great for small stuff. I need to get some more, I've broken a few by "over using" them. The Leatherman in my fire bunker pants is really nice, especially when you're tanked up in flexible duct wire.

And then there's the only tool I loan out, my beat up Craftsmen screw driver that I use in all the situations where you know you should not use a screwdriver but do (prying, scraping, punching, breaking dirt clumps out of attachments etc). I call it my "Schistzen Driver" from the German for something or another... Guess I should post a picture of it....

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not begin to nail it down to one, perhaps 20 maybe...but each "job" has a favorite tool.
Aaawwhh, come on Kenny you aren't playing fair. I know what you mean, but you have to admit there are some tools you just look for ways to use them.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Leatherman in my fire bunker pants is really nice, especially when you're tanked up in flexible duct wire.
:unknown: Now this looks interesting?:unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But the tool I use the most and probably love the most is my Milwaukee Porta Band with the Swag Off Road stand...
Now you have my attention. This is what I am talking about. Thanks Dave.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Aaawwhh, come on Kenny you aren't playing fair. I know what you mean, but you have to admit there are some tools you just look for ways to use them.
Once you said this Randy, it hit me. Its my tractor.

I say that in all seriousness because like Kenny, I grab whatever tool I need to get things done. I look forward to using none of them but am glad i have all of them when needed.

My tractor is something that I look for more ways to use it and look for ways to use it to get things done I might not normally do.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Randy, when you are doing interior structure fire work, often the drywall on the ceiling has come down and the flexible duct-work burns up. The wire that gives the duct it's spiral look is then hanging down (due to the heat) and all over the place. So you're crawling around and get all tangled up in it, especially your SCBA (air tank breathing device). So I put the leatherman in my bunker pants (bottom part of your fire suit). You can open the leatherman with your gloves on, and start cutting. The leatherman stores better than wire cutters, and the other tools in it are helpful at other times.

Don't try this at home... :laugh:

Pete

·
Registered
154 Posts
I cannot live without my paslode nail gun! I also look forward to using it!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once you said this Randy, it hit me. Its my tractor.

I say that in all seriousness because like Kenny, I grab whatever tool I need to get things done. I look forward to using none of them but am glad i have all of them when needed.

My tractor is something that I look for more ways to use it and look for ways to use it to get things done I might not normally do.
Tut, tut, tut, please check post number four.:mocking:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Randy, when you are doing interior structure fire work, often the drywall on the ceiling has come down and the flexible duct-work burns up. The wire that gives the duct it's spiral look is then hanging down (due to the heat) and all over the place. So you're crawling around and get all tangled up in it, especially your SCBA (air tank breathing device). So I put the leatherman in my bunker pants (bottom part of your fire suit). You can open the leatherman with your gloves on, and start cutting. The leatherman stores better than wire cutters, and the other tools in it are helpful at other times.

Don't try this at home... :laugh:

Pete
Thanks Pete, I was dream'n up all kinds of ideas and your description wasn't one of them.:laugh:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was wondering if you guys have your favorite tools and what they are. You know the ones, the ones you just don't want to live without, or just fun to use. I will start out with this one.

My 2 post car lift, great for more than you can imagine. Not only for working the underside of a vehicle, but great for cleaning and waxing. Or, engine work when you have to keep going from top to bottom. Here is the one I have, had to cut six inches out of the height to fit in the building.

| Stertil ALM

One of the projects on my many list of things to do is to make an adaptor to fit the tractors.
I'll see your 2-post lift.....and raise you one. Building Floor Room Flooring Hall

I tried the link you provided and it took me to the home page of that site, but not a specific lift. If you have one of the lifts on that home page, I wish to retract my bet--it would take a dozen of mine to make up for yours.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Through work I have access to many machine tools whether it is Bridgeports, engine lathes or even cnc equipment that I do kind of enjoy using although after 39 years the blush is off the rose, so to speak. What I enjoy the most probably is when I have to whip out my Fluke 87-III multimeter. That means it is detective time! I really enjoy diagnosing electrical phenomena, it's a break from the same old grind. Some of the cnc's have phone book sized ladder diagrams and we have a few machines with 10 or more controled servo axis's and many other motor controls. It gives me a nice feeling of accomplishment when I utilize my meter to solve and rectify a problem on machines like this.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As of now, it's my Milwaukee 3/8" M12 ratchet

Attachments

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I think my favorite would have to be my DeWalt 18v driver/drill. Actually I have two of them. I have used them so much, that I have had to have both of them rebuilt ($100 each time, ouch). It seems like I use screws to build things more than I use nails and the DeWalt's come in handy then. Second most favorite would be the DeWalt 18v reciprocating saw.

Dave

1 - 20 of 50 Posts