Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

figuring out the small issues with my new to me 825i, and took the wife for a ride. We got back, and she says we need a windshield.

Does anyone have a favorite brand? Thinking she may also want a top for winter riding, but may take that off in the summer.

Also need to figure out where to hang the SMV sign on this.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
16,593 Posts
For me a glass windshield is the only way to go.
We had a plastic what ever type that JD dealer installed when my wife bought the xuv550S4 or whatever the model #/
I babied that windshield, bought all the special clothes the cleaning fluid needed . Never just wiped the dust or dust off , without spraying the windshield off first and then used the cleaner- polish and clothes.
If driving along and sun would be direct in my path at times could not see a thing because of scratch marks on the windshield. I admit this was over a 4-5 yr time span, but I could tell even after the first summer the plastic windshield was not the way to go.
When I traded in the Gator for the Honda Pioneer it had a auto type windshield, have a electric wiper . NO PROBLEM
The little extra money IMO is well worth the extra money.
Yes we go through the woods and branches has hit the windshield , and it is OK.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting....have had plastic style windshields on bikes, but never something this big. I am sure when they get dirty they can scratch pretty easy.

I certainly can see the benefit to a glass style windshield.

·
Premium Member
16,593 Posts
Plus if you ride on any dirt or gravel roads, dust just seems to attack the windshield like a magnet.

Agree winding bikes with plastic windshield wasn't to bad

Reactions: wingrider

·
Registered
24,774 Posts
Gene’s advise is sound. When I bought my new Gator back in September I opted for the glass windshield because of his endorsement. Super happy I did!

·
Corndog Hater
12,428 Posts
I'll third the glass windshield. Very solid. I went with the Deere glass windshield that comes with a wiper. It was pricey! But for me it was worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! That JD glass may be a bit out of reach for me...but have to ask, is the wiper electric? I did see a glass one from an aftermarket company that appears to be close in size to the JD kit, although the wiper is down low, and manual.

Now to think about what top....JD vs aftermarket.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
333 Posts
The JD wiper is electric.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Got the windshield for my 825i from John Deere (IIRC). It is a split one that opens on the bottom half, very important for added cooling on hot summer days.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, almost convinced on the JD one. Question is now, do they have a spray system to clean the windshield?

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
I went plastic wish I had gone glass. Yeah I know, you told me to go glass.
SEE--U TIGHTEE--hehe.

buy once cry once to the op--get the glass one-get the wiper kit and sprayer--make ur wife happy--happy wife happy life-right ;) (y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,894 Posts
SEE--U TIGHTEE--hehe.
buy once cry once to the op--get the glass one-get the wiper kit and sprayer--make ur wife happy--happy wife happy life-right ;) (y)
The good thing is it's only on for about 4 months a year.

·
Premium Member
16,593 Posts
Our windshield 24/7 365. and now wiper motor and blades.

Tractor windshield will be coming off come spring.

·
Corndog Hater
12,428 Posts
Ok, almost convinced on the JD one. Question is now, do they have a spray system to clean the windshield?
I bought the "base" glass windshield. It came with the wiper, but no sprayer. You may be able to add a sprayer kit. I also got the wiring harness kit and OPS mounted switch bank. If you're good with vehicle wiring, you could wire it yourself and use one of the blanks on the dash. I'm not so my wiper and front and rear work lights use the OPS switch bank. My windshield will probably stay on all year (it's heavy). I don't do much mudding with it, so I don't see a need for a sprayer.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Corndog Hater
12,428 Posts
Here’s some pics of my windshield and switch bank

·
Registered
24,774 Posts
Now to think about what top....JD vs aftermarket.
There are probably a few aftermarket roofs available. The Deere roof is really nothing special I guess - maybe there are differences in the thickness of the plastic?

One thing I have learned is Deere’s clamp system for accessories like the roof, mirrors, etc. about anything that is mounted to the roll bar. They are ingeniously simple and work so well.

I bought a pair of cheap aftermarket mirrors for mine - there are literally dozens available on Amazon. I was immediately frustrated by the mounting clamps which were one piece and had to be forced onto the roll bar. I broke one right away when tightening it down.

If you want to remove the roof - maybe in the summer - the Deere roof will come off in a matter of seconds and just as easy to install again. So pay attention to how the aftermarket roofs mount to the roll bar.

Another thought is if you might want to add a rear panel and/or doors in the future. You can buy all the correct fitting parts from Deere and essentially end up with a real cab. Just another thing to check on with aftermarket.

And an afterthought - I am so used to using the term ROPS with our tractors - why is it the roll over protection on Gators are called roll bars instead?

·
Corndog Hater
12,428 Posts
And an afterthought - I am so used to using the term ROPS with our tractors - why is it the roll over protection on Gators are called roll bars instead
In typing a response here or elsewhere I actually typed ROPS, then remembered that I think the Deere literature for the Gator refers to OPS. Seems ROPS to me would be universal?

·
Registered
24,774 Posts
In typing a response here or elsewhere I actually typed ROPS, then remembered that I think the Deere literature for the Gator refers to OPS. Seems ROPS to me would be universal?
You’re right! Operator protective structure I think - or is it occupant?

·
Premium Member
8,447 Posts
JD MAY have to PAY to have OPS/Roll bar certified to be allowed to call it ROPS :unsure:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts