Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 JD 4720, I'm new to hydrostatic drive, I'm having difficulty "feathering" forward or reverse a slight amount. It proceeds in the direction of travel after the pedal is no longer pushed, and the brake can't seem to over come it. Is there something wrong with my hydro - what am I doing incorrectly? or is this normal?

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
There is a roll out setting accessible from the front display. Your operating manual will tell you how to access it. Experiment with different settings until you find one you like. I like mine on the longest rollout, but sounds like you want yours shorter.
Make sure your pedals are returning properly also. The pivot points might need cleaning and lubricating

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Check your manual under Motion Match. I have mine set in the middle position. I have tried both more and less, but decided I liked it right in the middle.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps a better way of describing the issue is when I'm backing up to put on an implement I have a difficult time controlling it to a very fine amount vs my clutch tractors. How do people back up to an implement and move 1" at a time with Hydro?

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
640 Posts
Perhaps a better way of describing the issue is when I'm backing up to put on an implement I have a difficult time controlling it to a very fine amount vs my clutch tractors. How do people back up to an implement and move 1" at a time with Hydro?
You say you are new to using a hydrostatic transmission, so you probably just need to make sure that the A range is selected, and practice with the pedals.

I find that when I want to "creep" up to an implement, I just barely push on the pedal and wait for it to start moving. It sounds like you might be pushing the pedal too far down which will result in it passing the creep speed and moving too fast for what you are doing.

It probably also helps to have lightweight boots. Big, heavy, steel toed boots are not a good match for the hydrostatic pedals. I find that the hydrostatic pedals are a little like the rudder pedals in an airplane. It takes a light touch at times and you need to be able to feel the pedals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will try that this weekend. I appreciate the description. I think I'm pushing the peddle nothing happens right away so I'm pushing past the creep setting and I was not aware that there was a creep setting.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I see. Just try pressing the pedal a little more gently.
I don’t think you need to be in A range, but avoid C range for everything but running down the road. I’m in B range 95% of the time. Precise control is definitely possible
If you just can’t seem to get it to behave, then more diagnostics will be needed, as you should be able to easily creep even fractions of an inch.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
It takes a light touch at times
Yes it does.

I think the motion match / rollout selection also works with the wind up to get going. Not 100% sure on this, but I knocked over my ballast box trying to hook up to it with the quick hitch. It seemed nothing was moving till all of a sudden it took off. The rollout was set long. I shortened it and it seemed to respond a bit faster / easier.

Reactions: PaDave

·
Registered
4066R Cab
10 Posts
I don't think the 2007 had motion match. (at least mine didn't).. just flip off the load match, put it in low range and idle. When you get use to using the hydro you will hardly ever touch your brakes.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Don’t tell the safety police, but I stand beside my 755 and run the pedals by hand when hooking up. It doesn’t have any fancy roll out adjustment, but it makes it much easier to just roll 1/8”.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don’t tell the safety police, but I stand beside my 755 and run the pedals by hand when hooking up. It doesn’t have any fancy roll out adjustment, but it makes it much easier to just roll 1/8”.
I did the same when I had a 755 then on the 2720 I bypassed the seat switch and could and did do it and now that I have the 3046r I have bypassed the seat switch and do it.
Just need to be careful and not run over yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.