Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Was out doing some spring preparation work and accidentally broke off the hydraulic hose fitting (nipple) on my bucket tilt cylinder.
At first I thought it was a threaded nipple into the cylinder, but it does not appear so. Upon further inspection the only threads are from the nipple to connect to the hose fitting.
The nipple itself broke off and after looking around am getting sticker shock from the retail cost of a new bucket tilt cylinder, part #AH210821.
Is this a job that a hydraulic repair shop can fix?
  • What are my options beyond a $700 new cylinder?
  • Repair?
  • Aftermarket?
Not finding anything in used online.
Things got busy here in a hurry, which is of course the worst time for a breakdown, so hoping some expertise here might save time and re$ource$ on the repair job.
Just seems hard to believe this cylinder is no good any more because an exposed hydraulic fitting got broken off.
Thank you in advance!
JD_300CX_Loader_Cylinder_1539.JPG
And here is a panned out view:
JD_300CX_Loader_Cylinder_20210405_182020585a.jpg
Finally, this is what it's supposed to look like (the other side):
JD_300CX_Loader_Cylinder_1535.jpg

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oops.
I should have put this in the "Implements & Attachments" or "Hydraulics" category / forum.
How do I change categories?
Thank you.

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
Oops.
I should have put this in the "Implements & Attachments" or "Hydraulics" category / forum.
How do I change categories?
Thank you.
Actually the Hydraulic forum is a better place, I moved it.

Reactions: SunWorks and Gizmo2

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
You can take your cylinder to a welding shop and have the fitting TIG welded back on, some hydraulic shops may do it too. The fittings are resistance welded only the body of the cylinder, and they are a weak spot.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,436 Posts
I feel certain it can be repaired.
Have you checked the cost of just a new Cylinder Barrel?

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel certain it can be repaired.
Have you checked the cost of just a new Cylinder Barrel?
i have not. Yet.
From what I'm gathering here, that would be the 2nd option after the TIG welding option.
Last night, when looking up the part number, I did try to find just the cylinder barrel with the fittings on them, but did not see that specific part.
Seemed like they listed every other part, so gotta believe it's a matter of me just not knowing where to find the Cylinder barrel.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd have it TIG welded. Fully retract the ram first to keep heat off the piston seals.
Good advice on retracting the ram first... manually of course! haha... there was quite a stream of fluid when I saw it was snapped off.
Not very funny at the time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take your cylinder to a welding shop and have the fitting TIG welded back on, some hydraulic shops may do it too. The fittings are resistance welded only the body of the cylinder, and they are a weak spot.
First. Thanks for moving the question to this forum.
It was late, I posted in a hurry and noticed the wrong location right after posting. - Appreciate it.
Yah. I like this option.
Basically, disconnect the loader lines for the bucket back at the tractor to shut off the flow of fluid to the bucket cylinders, then remove the cylinder.
Very glad you gentlemen appear to act like this is very do-able.

What about welding a guard or shield onto the ram to protect it down the line? My gut says don't weld a guard on, but maybe something like a clamp mounted shield for this fitting.
It's right out there in the open, exposed to this kind of accident.

Reactions: raco232

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,436 Posts
Reactions: raco232 and Kennyd

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
A guard would be great, but...you don't want to risk wrapping the barrel, do as little welding as possible to make it serviceable.

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A guard would be great, but...you don't want to risk wrapping the barrel, do as little welding as possible to make it serviceable.
In other words: Minimize the heat. Period.
But a sort of band-clamp attached guard would avoid heat, so that sounds viable.
Thank you.

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
But a sort of band-clamp attached guard would avoid heat, so that sounds viable.
Thank you.
That my friend sounds like an excellent idea (y)

Maybe a new product in the works for us :unsure:

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That my friend sounds like an excellent idea (y)

Maybe a new product in the works for us :unsure:
Go for it.
At first I was PO'd for this happening... and yes, maybe was getting too aggressive with the stump bucket, but dang, that fitting is right out there in the open, very exposed and vulnerable.
Live and learn for sure, but prevention is now high on the "to-do" list.
Will keep you up to date the best I can on how this progresses.
DEF appreciate the guidance and responses.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have one that has been welded back on. It works fine.

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have one that has been welded back on. It works fine.
Cool.
I got mine to the welding shop this afternoon. It's a quality shop, so feel pretty good about the whole process.
Thanks!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,436 Posts
Cool.
I got mine to the welding shop this afternoon. It's a quality shop, so feel pretty good about the whole process.
Thanks!
Be sure to let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2011 John Deere 4105
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Be sure to let us know how you make out.
The machine shop TIG welded a new nipple on to the cylinder.
Had it done the next day.
Hooked it back up, worked the air out of the lines (no problem at all) and have been using it for a few days now, making sure I don't get anything close to that part again... and as of tonight:
No leaks.
No issues.
No problem!
Haven't gotten the bill yet, but am guessing it will make me smile. He said "we do a lot of these" and doesn't sound like it took long.
Woo-hoo... I am relieved AND happy.
Thank you for the advice and keeping me calm.
The forum sure helped with everything, including minimizing down time.
Got that last stump out tonight and can now start transplanting from the little nursery into this area using the same stump bucket to transplant the apricot trees that dug out the stumps.
I know that I've read mixed comments about Titan attachments, but I've got a raft of them and from this stump bucket to the grapples, to the posthole digger, to the man-basket to rear ballast box, I do not baby them and am very pleased.
This stump bucket is a GOOD tool!
Clinton

and another view:

Reactions: Kennyd and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,436 Posts
The machine shop TIG welded a new nipple on to the cylinder.
Had it done the next day.
Hooked it back up, worked the air out of the lines (no problem at all) and have been using it for a few days now, making sure I don't get anything close to that part again... and as of tonight:
No leaks.
No issues.
No problem!
Life is good. Thanks for the followup. (y)

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 20 of 21 Posts