Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across these videos of something called a Little Green Monster. It's a little slow in its movements but looks way more versatile than a Johnny Bucket.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
My wife would kill me if I put that on her X360 ?
But I can see that being just right for Joe Suburbia Home Owner. Sure beats a shovel and wheelbarrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Apparently the guy that makes them doesn't have an actual website and relies on the YouTube videos with his name and contact info listed.

It looks to be an electric version of the Little Buck Loader.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in process of buying one right now. Basically is a johnny bucket that will lift 4 or 5 feet high, enabling me to say dig my mulch beds and then take dirt and dump in my 10P cart, so I can completely bypass getting off tractor and of course saves my back. For light duty FEL work this can be a real back saver. I'll use it this spring for spreading some topsoil on my front lawn, had a 60 foot maple come down last fall. Slightly dig wife's mulch bed( so mulch doesnt wash away in heavy rain) and then spread 10 yards of mulch. Basically use it every spring and occasional projects. As long as actuators are quality ( and I'm told they are) should be a bargain, it does cost several hundred more than Johnny bucket, but of course is much more versatile

·
Registered
164 Posts
And BTW for 75 dollar up charge per actuator you can get 2x speed actuators, which brings it closer to speed of hydraulic unit - thinking of getting the double speed just for the bucket

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can just hear it now. How come my K46 only lasted 50 hours? Stupid John Deere junk.
I think I would be more concerned about damage to the front axle and spindles that I would the transaxle. I mean, how is a couple hundred pounds in the bucket any different than a couple hundred pounds in a lawn cart?

Reactions: Ilovegreen

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can just hear it now. How come my K46 only lasted 50 hours? Stupid John Deere junk.

2 things- K46 isnt stupid John Deere Junk- it is by far and I mean by far the most popular ( in terms of sales) in lawn tractors in the world, it is sold in more than John Deere, just about every manufacturer uses them hundred of thousands of them sold per year. As long as used within its parameters will last 1,000 hours or more

Guy on x330- will be fine,( as long as he is smart ) loading 10 yards of mulch and or 10 yards of top soil wont bother K46 at all - if he was using it every day on hilly property would be another issue- using it for "light" duty 8 hours a year isnt going to hurt anything- if he is loading bucket after bucket of 400lbs of crushed stone on regular basis- then yes I agree he is asking for trouble. Johnny bucket has been selling electric loader for small LT's for last 20 years without much trouble

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ilovegreen, how did you get in contact with the builder and what kind of lead time are you looking at? did he go over all the different options?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
1st of all John Deere doesn't produce the K46 Tuff-Torq Does There are 56 different variants of the K46 Produced it is the most common lawn Tractor transmission in the world. Every transmission model can have issues! At one point a Few years ago a series of K90 series had to be recalled that were Put into some of the X739 it was about 100 or so that had a pump design issue where the pump would blow up inside the trans. It wasn't Deere's fault. It was Tuff-Torq's.

The Place where Deere does fail with using the K46 is the fact they won't spend 14 cents extra to have a drain plug added to the transmission. Deere treat's it as sealed But Tuff-Torq does not treat it as a sealed transmission.

I know several people with K46's in the Lawn tractors that have never had a issue and they even use the tractor for snow removal and or running a aftermarket Bercomac Belt driven 30inch tiller My friend has never serviced his 2002 or 2003 LT180's K46 and he is the one that uses the LT180 with that Bercomac tiller He does keep the Trans clean on the outside though so for 17 or 18 years he hasn't had a Problem. But all that LT does is till he has a Deere ZTR for mowing and a Cub Cadet GT for snow removal and Plowing with a 12inch Plow :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ilovegreen, how did you get in contact with the builder and what kind of lead time are you looking at? did he go over all the different options?

His name is Carlos Tejera - real good guy an engineer- he makes them in small shop ( 1200 sq feet) he makes them all himself right now- so quality control is very high, lead time is about 6 weeks, so if you are looking for one for the spring, I'd talk to him soon. Yes he will go over options and answer any questions you have. Very helpful

The guy on X330 ( a good guy from Pittsburgh area) I talked to him about how happy he was with his Bucket loader- he made a good series( I think its 8 or 9 short you tube videos) of video's on how to install

[email protected]
863-255-1237

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Well like with any other FEL don't forget ballast.

Maybe it is the camera angle or lens used but wow, those arms look long. The problem with that is more leverage working against you in the rear ballast battle. It would be nice if he could shorten those arms a bit, yes it would compromise lift height but I don't know how big of a deal that would be. It would come down to your intended use. Wonder if you have any issues over time with two linear actuators becoming out of sync? Also while actuators twice as fast might be nice, would that mean they lift half as much? It would be a question to ask.

I don't know that I would worry all that much about the TuffTorque. Here is where I see possible issues. Unloading the rear end and spinning tires or coming down oddly if not enough ballast. Not having enough ballast and raising the rear end (or unloading it enough to loose traction) and being on a hill. Keep in mind there are no brakes on the front wheels so once you start rolling you can't stop. Been there done that which is why JD always says to use 4wd when using the FEL. Finally as someone else mentioned, and repeating ballast, ballast ballast. If you don't have enough, will the front axle be able to take the weight?

Not saying it won't work or is a bad idea. With enough forethought it should be fine. Also take small bites of what you are moving but still better than a shovel.

Reactions: George of Buford

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Awesome for its application. Now it just needs some KBOGH:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Well like with any other FEL don't forget ballast.

Maybe it is the camera angle or lens used but wow, those arms look long. The problem with that is more leverage working against you in the rear ballast battle. It would be nice if he could shorten those arms a bit, yes it would compromise lift height but I don't know how big of a deal that would be. It would come down to your intended use. Wonder if you have any issues over time with two linear actuators becoming out of sync? Also while actuators twice as fast might be nice, would that mean they lift half as much? It would be a question to ask.

I don't know that I would worry all that much about the TuffTorque. Here is where I see possible issues. Unloading the rear end and spinning tires or coming down oddly if not enough ballast. Not having enough ballast and raising the rear end (or unloading it enough to loose traction) and being on a hill. Keep in mind there are no brakes on the front wheels so once you start rolling you can't stop. Been there done that which is why JD always says to use 4wd when using the FEL. Finally as someone else mentioned, and repeating ballast, ballast ballast. If you don't have enough, will the front axle be able to take the weight?

Not saying it won't work or is a bad idea. With enough forethought it should be fine. Also take small bites of what you are moving but still better than a shovel.
I think this is what he should use for actuators https://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator basically a electric pump & reservoir on a cylinder that doesn't need a tractor hydraulic system to run

Deere Made 2WD for years with Loaders. My 2WD X485 handled the 45 loader just fine and Deere Built a Loader for it. I have seen that line though in the compact loader Manuals But not in the Utility or Row Crop loader manuals or the previous 45 loader manual:)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I think this is what he should use for actuators https://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator basically a electric pump & reservoir on a cylinder that doesn't need a tractor hydraulic system to run

Deere Made 2WD for years with Loaders. My 2WD X485 handled the 45 loader just fine and Deere Built a Loader for it. I have seen that line though in the compact loader Manuals But not in the Utility or Row Crop loader manuals or the previous 45 loader manual:)
Yep, my dad had a 4430 with FEL. I remember that tractor well. ;)

But seriously, I know it can be done. Just saying take your time, and it is no difference if you have 4WD or not. Ballast, ballast, ballast. My dad has an old Case 646 which is similar in size to the X485. It is a 2wd tractor with a two speed rear end. Even with fluid filled tires and my lard butt in the seat it will lift the backend all day long. I remember they were out of town and a storm came through taking down a tree. I went over, cut it up into big chunks and was going to haul them over to a burn pile. Thew a chain around an 8' section of log, hopped in the seat and lifted it up. I was on a slight hill, not much of a grade at all. The back tires came off the ground and I started going down the hill. With the rear tires off the ground and in perfect balance like that with only the front tires touching, I was rolling down the hill faster and faster. No braking ability because that was only the rear wheels. No steering ability. All I could do was gently try and lower the log so it would slowly drag on the ground and slow me down. Well that and clean out my shorts. Because the front axle pivots, it is really easy to roll a tractor when you get into a situation like this.

The prevention is more ballast and taking smaller bites at your work load. Understand the risk and mitigate it. If I was on flat ground, I wouldn't have rolled off like that. However, I also wouldn't have been able to move anywhere as the rear tires were off the ground. While having a machine with 4wd and having it locked in would have allowed me to control my speed and stop, the fact still remains that I would be overloading the front axle which isn't good either. It would have been just as tippy so still dangerous. It just means you are less likely to coast down a hill into a ravine or tree.

I want to say others have posted the comment from the manual on 1025Rs. Something to the effect to never use 4wd while on hard ground like pavement unless you are using the FEL.

Reactions: Summers5

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I have seen that line though in the compact loader Manuals But not in the Utility or Row Crop loader manuals or the previous 45 loader manual
I was curious so I looked. I didn't see anything in the 1025R manual online in a quick glance but in looking at the H130 manual I see these comments.

Section 5
"Carry Materials Safely"
and again on
"Safe loader operation on slopes"
it states:
If tractor is equipped with 4-WD, be sure it is engaged during loader operation.
So technically it is an if equipped statement. There may be other places, this is a quick glance.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
The front axle, and the load on the rear end with proper ballast with an empty bucket are the issues I see. I had a craftsman with a k46 one year for snowblowing. The 250lbs ballast I needed for my gentle slopes added visible camber to the rear tires. I sold it with no ballast and will never consider one again. I can just imagine the load of a small pothole caused by these loafers.

To each their own, I personally choose overbuilt equipment to do a job. If your ok with marginal then go for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Of course the electric Bucket loader needs ballast- listen this unit isnt designed to replace a hydraulic FEL off a one series. It's for light duty - think of a more capable Johnny bucket that X300's/X500's have run for years.( without issue) Personally I'll be running plenty of ballast. ( my X590 will weigh over 1300 lbs when I'm running FEL) I plan on doing some light digging of mulch beds,( I'll be able to take dirt and put it in my 10p cart without leaving tractor ) spreading top soil, and distributing 10 yards of mulch I put out every year. Doubt I'll use it more than a few times a year. But when I do have a need to use it, its pretty darn handy to have. Its a beautiful "tool" for suburban homeowner on typical suburban lot. After initial install unit takes 2 min to put on or take off. Its not super heavy so easy to handle and store. The addition of the electric Bucket loader will make my X590 that much more capable.It will make my X590 a 4 season dynamo with my 47 inch blower, mower deck and now electric FEL .In short for my needs I see very little downside. I guess I'll find out next month

·
Registered
840 Posts
The real point is that this is being looked at as a mini FEL, something it is not. These little buckets, Johnny Buckets, JD clam shells, etc. are nothing more than material handlers. They are not to be used for more than moving mulch, loose soil, gravel and that sort of thing. Stuff you might normally put into a wheel barrow.

Another point is that the current X3xx machine are not designed or meant to use attachments of this type, and that's a target market for this little green thing. And my final thought is the symmetry. The bucket arms are way too long and will present much more strain on the chassis than was ever intended, all in the effort to extend the lift height..

Deere makes a nice little 40" clamshell type material mover specifically for the X3 and 5 series machines. Better off moving materials mulch with one of those.

For the X7xx my money would be spent on the CTC FEL, but only if needed. Other than that a rear scoop attached to the 3pt hitch will move most homeowner crapola.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
And my final thought is the symmetry. The bucket arms are way too long and will present much more strain on the chassis than was ever intended, all in the effort to extend the lift height..
That was a concern I expressed earlier. Maybe it is camera angle or something but those arms look about 10-12" too long. The only benefit for the length is probably more lifting height. Maybe he designed it so he could get enough height to get into the bed of a pickup? I totally get lifting height. It is one of the complaints I have about my CTC. The tractor and FEL simply doesn't have the lifting height physically for a couple of my use cases. One of them is one that I do all the time and I have to resort to building a ramp by stacking up 2x12 board sections. So yeah, I get it. He might have had to do it to get the reach he needed because of limited range of motion of the linear actuators. I don't know, just a guess. The trade off is the leverage that this will cause means you need more ballast to compensate which in turn puts more stress on the chassis. I am sure some engineer out there can figure out what the multiplier is but lets say you add wheel weights to a tractor. Lets pretend that they are, I don't know 60#. That is 60# of effective ballast. Take another machine like mine. I use suitcase weights that hang off a 3pt with a quick hitch and a heavy hitch. Because of leverage and the weight hanging so far back behind the tractor one 40# suitcase weight probably provides as much effective ballast at 60# of wheel weights. The other benefit is when I don't need the weight, if I were mowing, I can take it off. Though I also have fluid filled rear tires that I can't shed the weight of.

I have never had a X3xx or X5xx (well kind of on that last one). Is a 3pt an option? What do they have for rear weight options? I haven't looked at smaller machines. Maybe they have click n go.

The note on that is while I have a X585 it is a 2002 which is before they did the renumbering when the X4xx/X5xx series merged and became the X7xx and they came out with the smaller X5xx. It is kind of confusing to some that are new and don't know the original X Series history. Specs wise a X585 is basically a X738 but with manual 4WD rather than AWD and a slightly different frame that was designed for the now discontinued 45 series FEL.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts