Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
No 3pt for the X3xx or X5xx, however there is a very capable hydraulic sleeve hitch and 2 way hydraulics up front for the X580 - 90, plus power steering in both the 580 and 590.

I've seen the 40" clamshell on the X3xx and it works great for the work it was designed to do.

I'll be looking at the CTC FEL come spring for my 738, although I own the Innovative grapple and don't know if I really need to spend $3200 on an FEL.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The real point is that this is being looked at as a mini FEL, something it is not. These little buckets, Johnny Buckets, JD clam shells, etc. are nothing more than material handlers. They are not to be used for more than moving mulch, loose soil, gravel and that sort of thing. Stuff you might normally put into a wheel barrow.

Another point is that the current X3xx machine are not designed or meant to use attachments of this type, and that's a target market for this little green thing. And my final thought is the symmetry. The bucket arms are way too long and will present much more strain on the chassis than was ever intended, all in the effort to extend the lift height..

Deere makes a nice little 40" clamshell type material mover specifically for the X3 and 5 series machines. Better off moving materials mulch with one of those.

For the X7xx my money would be spent on the CTC FEL, but only if needed. Other than that a rear scoop attached to the 3pt hitch will move most homeowner crapola.

Really couldn't disagree with you more- it is a Light duty FEL-- with key word being "light" The clamshell power shovel - cant dig( more than an inch or two) only lifts a few inches, its basically a power shovel. - really no comparison. Green monster lifts, curls for partial dumps- in short it does everything a loader does ( albeit much less load)

Put 10 yards of much in my driveway and have one tractor using the clamshell and another with Little green monster- and Electric bucket loader will not only do the job 5 times faster- it will be much neater putting the mulch where it is actually needed. We really haven't ever seen a X5xx with this kind of product that really makes your 500 series much more effective and versatile. is it meant for 'farm" work or to take 600 lbs of rock and bring it up( or down) a steep hill of course not.. although I'm quite sure I could bring 150/200 lb bucket up or down that hill if I had to-- much better than using a shovel and wheel barrow...

The deer power Shovel ( clamshell) is nowhere near as capable as little green monster-- I have no current need for it, but Carlos is also in process of making a Grapple and forks options for it, so future capability is nice to know will be there

I'm really excited about the extra capability this product brings to my X590- Johnny Bucket is a good product ( deer clamshell is extremely limited, but better than nothing) but neither product compares with Little green monster and its capabilities

·
Registered
71 Posts
The X300 and X500 lawn tractors only have a 15 amp charging system. I doubt that it could handle running three actuators at a time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The X300 and X500 lawn tractors only have a 15 amp charging system. I doubt that it could handle running three actuators at a time.
Not sure, something I'll have to test. I've seen videos and talked to several users of the product and nobody has mentioned that, something I'll have to test when I get unit

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Not sure, something I'll have to test. I've seen videos and talked to several users of the product and nobody has mentioned that, something I'll have to test when I get unit
That shouldn’t be an issue as it’s not 100% duty cycle. The battery provides the excess when in use and recharges when static. Load vs charge rate is more of an issue with lights or fans when you use them 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The real point is that this is being looked at as a mini FEL, something it is not. These little buckets, Johnny Buckets, JD clam shells, etc. are nothing more than material handlers. They are not to be used for more than moving mulch, loose soil, gravel and that sort of thing. Stuff you might normally put into a wheel barrow.
Actually, even the FEL on 1, 2 and 3 series tractors are nothing more than material handlers. That’s why they are called “Loaders” and not Excavators.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually, even the FEL on 1, 2 and 3 series tractors are nothing more than material handlers. That’s why they are called “Loaders” and not Excavators.
It can be called anything. How about "very light duty particular moving containment device". The point remains that you may get away with an FEL of this mini type on an X500 series machine, but buyer beware that puts one on an X300 series (and not the older x3/5 series). And to be fair the build quality is good, finish looks good, and I have seen no complaints from those who own them. However, there's no reason to justify the purchase if it's what you need and hold up under use. So we'll see on the "holds up under use", be it tractor or mini bucket.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
That is a good point to make. I ran into an issue with this in the past and was the final straw for using an ATV for plowing snow. I had a Honda Foreman ES 450 and the ES stood for Electronic Shifting. I used an ATV plow which used the Warren Winch for raising and lowering the blade. Well I raised the blade, backed up to the house, lowered the blade and when to shift back to 1st to push the snow. Nothing. I had drained the battery so much that I was stuck in R backed up to the house. Engine was still running but now the blade was down and I couldn't do anything. I got off the ATV, got on the tractor, threw a chain on the ATV and drug it back to the pole barn and sold it. It was never used again for clearing snow. The only reason I was using it was the thought of it being nice to leave the blower on the X585 and plow with the ATV. However, I have the plow and blower and with the shaft drive blower, it is less than a 5 min change over. So there wasn't really a need for this.

As someone mentioned the battery will bridge the gap and power a high draw item like that. I don't have a X3xx or X5xx but I would imagine it won't leave you stranded as it isn't that much different than my X585 in terms of how it works. The biggest risk would be if it were an EFI engine (not sure if any of them are), you might have some problems there. While a battery would bridge the gap, a lot of sustained use might drain the batter and shorten the life a bit. I would imagine a small tractor, like the ATV, they don't have a very large battery. You can take some action on this by using a battery tender or float charger to keep the battery topped off. If you have been using it quite a bit and are going to shut off the tractor, I would be close to where that charger is to play it save and go ahead and plug it in.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I have a feeling it will do just fine for light duty Jobs . The only complainst will probably be the actuators over the long haul and 10 to 1 that will be from customer abuse of using it beyond it limits on a regular bases .

To a Point all it is! Is a Bolt on Electric actuator Copy of The Hydraulic lift, Pin on Little Buck Loader. as Long as it Not Used like a CTC Loader or Bigger Loader. It probably will be just fine for the average user moving loose material. It show digging in soft Florida sand Don't Know How it will do in Midwest Black soil or Eastern Rocky soil or southern Clay soil only time will tell. I would say If CTC knew How to Mount a Sheave(1 set screw oops) on a Hydraulic pump right I bet they might have built a Loader for the Current X500 series(Kwik-way used 3 set screws on a Pump sheave) Because the current X500 series is stout enough for a loader:)

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I came across these videos of something called a Little Green Monster. It's a little slow in its movements but looks way more versatile than a Johnny Bucket.

My concern is...it seems to have a long overhang which could cause instability. One would need a lot of weight on the rear to be stable. Also I don't think the front axle is heavy enough to handle the load. I also have similar thoughts about the refrigerator 2-stage snow blower.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
My concern is...it seems to have a long overhang which could cause instability. One would need a lot of weight on the rear to be stable. Also I don't think the front axle is heavy enough to handle the load. I also have similar thoughts about the refrigerator 2-stage snow blower.
Well 3 different companies have been Making this style front Mounted Loaders since about 2006 starting with Or-Bilt Then Little Buck and Now finally Little Green Monster I haven't heard of any fatalities do to this design yet. As Members On these different Tractor forums out there have used enough Ballast and they also seem to be Just Made for Deere Machines anyways. The front axle on the X500/X300 series is actually the same front Axle I have seen Two X500 series tractors with PF engineering Traditional Loader kits and the Only Guy I talked to at a show about 5 years ago said the X540 was handling the PF loader Just fine. Weather or not this design of front Mount loader will be bad who knows. I bet You see More ware on the front drive components such as steering cylinder and front axle spindles On the People with X300/X500 that do utilize this front mount loader (y)

·
Registered
148 Posts
do you have an ETA yet ilovegreen? perhaps you can mention this forum and the maker can chime in!
6 week lead time- so sometime in mid to late March - I plan on making several video's for you guys. As soon as ground thaws, I'll have 10 yards of top soil delivered, then after that is done have to dig up some flower beds- just make them a bit deeper on edges so heavy rains doesn't wash mulch away. After that 10 yards of mulch. These will be typical type jobs I'll use Green Monster for. I especially like fact I can dig up mulch beds and deposit dirt into my 10p cart without ever leaving tractor. Nothing really heavy duty- just typical type tasks most homeowners deal with a few times a year

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Digging may not be a job this can do. My 420 can’t dig anything except fluffed soil. Most GT owners need a tooth bar to be able to dig in reasonable soil conditions.

You’ll want to have the topsoil dumped on your driveway also. When I expanded my driveway I piled all the loam on my lawn and gave it away. Traction was at a premium to be able to get a bucketful to load for the people that got it. That was with ag tires and about 700 lbs of ballast. For that project I rototilled the soil first then dug it out and repeated a few times to dig out 12”.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Digging may not be a job this can do.

You'll be one of first to see rydpirs..LOL I'll post a video- again I'm under no illusions on what the green monster can do- I'll be digging up mulch beds that have had mulch in them the last 15 years, so they will be fairly soft- I'm not expecting much trouble- seen video's of Green monster digging up soft Florida sand/ soil. I'm not digging virgin ground. Mulch beds will be of similar consistency or softer after 15 years of mulch, nice thing about it, no SHOVEL. For me a real time saver as well as back saver. And yes I'll have both top soil and mulch dumped in driveway. Last fall I had half of a 70 foot maple come down ( on wife's car I might add) so I had tree removed and stump ground. Still left a giant depression in my lawn- so need top soil to level it off. Again just typical type tasks that suburban homeowner runs into. I'LL have the 10 yards of top soil spread out and grass planted within a day with green monster. I could have done it with my 10p cart, but I would have had to load cart by shovel- and then dumped cart, then spread out the giant pile dump left by cart- just manually intense labor and would have taken me 3 days or more - Not to mention tender back for several days after

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well received the unit Thursday- took me about 3 hours to to unbox and install- from here on out to remove it, as simple as disconnecting quick connect plugs to actuators and pulling a few pins, takes all of 3 min. Over the next few weeks, I'll use it to spread out 20 yards of topsoil, dig up edges on mulch bed and then distribute 10 yards of mulch around my property. Really makes my X590 all that much more capable of a machine. I'll make a few more videos of the FEL in use over the next few weeks'

·
Registered
148 Posts
More info on Little Green monster - bucket is slightly larger than Johnny bucket- would guess the bucket holds approx 3 cu feet ( 42 inches long by 14 inches high by 14 inches deep) lifts 44 inches high - I said 500lbs in video- that is probably an exaggeration the bucket would do it- not so sure tractor would handle it -- probably max safe load is around 300 lbs.. 3 cu feet of dirt weighs between 210 lb and 300 lbs depending on moisture in soil that's probably max safe load for 500 series

21 - 40 of 49 Posts