Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I am interested in attaching a FEL onto a JD 2150. Since this is an older tractor JD does not supply anything to fit. They claim it was only compatible with a 175 FEL. However, in my google searching, it has become apparent that any good mechanic/ fabricator can get just about anything to fit just about anything. So, my question is… if I’m looking at yard sales, junk yards , eBay, etc to find something that I could make work, is there a REALISTIC starting point? I can not find any online resource which tells me what mounting brackets fit what models, etc. I’m concerned I will fumble into purchasing something from out of state and the brackets won’t work, thus defeating any “deal” I may have gotten.
Here is a real world scenario. Every day I drive by an old Ford FEL that I know has been unused for at least a decade. I could probably get it for next to nothing, but would I have to sink two, three, four or more thousand dollars into getting it to attach, and would it be a disaster anyway?
Can someone help cut through the clutter and at least help me zero in on the critical points I need to be aware of when shopping? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
I would try my best to find a JD 175 loader with brackets even if it was in poor condition or check with Woods, Bushhog or other after market brands. Very, very likely there's an after market manufacturer who will sell a loader and brackets that bolt on. For example it looks like Westendorf has three models that are recommended for the 2150: Front-End Tractor Loaders by Westendorf: Shade Canopy, Snow Plow, Hay Equipment

The top end after market manufacturers make very good products, likely much better than you could fab up unless you are a very, very good engineer/ welder.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have looked into Westendorf and that certainly would not be a regrettable option. I’m just choking on the price for new. I would definitely prefer to go with used and am ok with waiting, just wanted to be able to limit my search to the appropriate model(s). Thanks

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,806 Posts
Loaders are one of the more complex "implements" to fabricate because of the engineering involved. I agree with TreeFarmer, find something close and modify it or go with an after market product. While the prices are high, steel prices are also high and unless you have a significant inventory of excess material laying qaround, it wouldn't take long to get quite an investment in the project.

And don't forget, every FEL DEMANDS significant, safe and appropriate rear ballast.........

Sometimes, locating an old machine with the FEL and buying the entire machine also makes sense. Make sure to share with the GTT crowd whatever you end up doing. The more pictures and helpful details, the better. Good luck

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
In it's day, I think the JD 175 loader was what put on these tractors. Newer JD 520 and 540 loaders had mounts available for this tractor too.
Message TxJim, he might know of more options for JD loaders.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I previously listed these JD loader models(37, 48,145,175, 240, 245) in a previous reply to similar question. Ford loader could be mounted with the aid of a cutting torch/welder. If Ford FEL has an independent hyd valve it would need to be the type that could be converted to closed center hyd's to match your 2150

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
I previously listed these JD loader models(37, 48,145,175, 240, 245) in a previous reply to similar question. Ford loader could be mounted with the aid of a cutting torch/welder. If Ford FEL has an independent hyd valve it would need to be the type that could be converted to closed center hyd's to match your 2150
I knew you would know of more options.
I am thinking the 37 and 48 would be hard to find with correct mounts and the 240 and 245 are too big for 2150.
I am not sure how the 145 is for size :unsure:

There is dealer in my state, MI that lists a used JD 175 loader with mounts, valve, and joystick/cables for $2500 on Tractorhouse. It might be worth the OP's time to check shipping cost

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tx Jim, yes that was the list you you provided in response to one of my previous questions. Maybe I’m not wording my questions properly. Your list gets me a good starting point to locate something to purchase, however, when I find something from that list for sale, it usually will say that it came off of a 4440, 2020, 747 or whatever the model tractor may have been. So I’m still stuck, because I don’t know if those model mounts are compatible with my 2150 tractor. Are 2150 mounts compatible with any other models, or do I specifically look for a 175 loader from a 2150 tractor? Not trying to be a pain, just not sure what combinations will or won’t work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zebrafive, I saw the unit in Michigan, I can’t argue about the price, but freight to the sunshine state gets the overall price a little higher than I can afford at the moment. Anyone know of something closer to Florida, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Zebrafive, I saw the unit in Michigan, I can’t argue about the price, but freight to the sunshine state gets the overall price a little higher than I can afford at the moment. Anyone know of something closer to Florida, please let me know. Thanks
Keep looking, likely if you are patient something will show up. Possibly you can do something about the freight if you know any independent truckers who haul in that direction. It's a long shot but sometimes back haul rates can be pretty good if the alternative for a trucker is running empty.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I knew you would know of more options.
I am thinking the 37 and 48 would be hard to find with correct mounts and the 240 and 245 are too big for 2150.
I am not sure how the 145 is for size :unsure:
Many JD utility tractors were sold new with 145 loaders. When you state 240 or 245 are too big for 2150 what are you basing that on? I'll bet that model will bolt up to a 2150.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty Tx Jim, now we are drilling down into it. That’s the kind of info I was hoping to glean. Now, if you don’t mind me asking more questions, how does the average uninformed person like me determine what year a particular FEL was made? The internet is seriously void if any JD FEL sales materials, spec sheets, etc. Its like there is an active effort to keep this info hid.
I don’t mind blasting you with all these questions if you don’t. But I don’t mind doing my own research either. I just can’t seem to find anything to research. So again, thank you for your help either way.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Many JD utility tractors were sold new with 145 loaders. When you state 240 or 245 are too big for 2150 what are you basing that on? I'll bet that model will bolt up to a 2150.
That's an awesome tip.

·
Registered
4430, 4040, 2350, 2355, 2950, 425 and IH 1586, NH TD95D
428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts

Not on the list is JD 145. We had one on a 2440. I think if you could find a 240 you would like that one the best over a 175. I currently have both 175 and a 245.

If you are taking it on and off you do not want a 145/146 as they are bolted on. Nothing quick about them.

175 is easier to take on and off but the 240 is built so much heavier.
You'd be surprised with the aid of an impact wrench how quick a JD FEL that bolts on with 8 bolts such as the 145 or 146 can be R&R from a tractor.

·
Registered
4430, 4040, 2350, 2355, 2950, 425 and IH 1586, NH TD95D
428 Posts
You'd be surprised with the aid of an impact wrench how quick a JD FEL that bolts on with 8 bolts such as the 145 or 146 can be R&R from a tractor.
Your right. I was thinking of when we took it off in the 80’s/early 90’s with no such help. The other part I remember was chaining it to a railroad tie so it would stay when backing tractor out. Had a special box end wrench for it. Now it just sits in a drawer. I’m spoiled with what I have now. As a ten year old those bolts were not something I looked forward to breaking loose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent comments guys. Very helpful. And Tx Jim, I agree this whole sport of tractor resurrection and repair does help keep the old brain firing. I can honestly say I would have abandoned this project already if not for the wealth of knowledge you and everyone else on GTT so freely offer. God bless.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Your right. I was thinking of when we took it off in the 80’s/early 90’s with no such help. The other part I remember was chaining it to a railroad tie so it would stay when backing tractor out. Had a special box end wrench for it. Now it just sits in a drawer. I’m spoiled with what I have now. As a ten year old those bolts were not something I looked forward to breaking loose.
LOL, I have similar memories of a loader on an Oliver. We didn't have an impact wrench so it was breaker bar and ratchet plus alignment punches to get things in place. That was replaced by an IH with a quick detach loader which worked well. We thought we were in heaven.

Even though the 790 loader is quick detach, I seldom take it off as it's mostly used for loader work or something like a rear blade where I might want the loader. Still, I like the option of dropping it when necessary.

Reactions: JD4430
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.