Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 220 hours on my 4044R now. It's my first Deere and my first cab. Though I've owned five Kubotas in the past I went with Deere this time as the cab had better ergonomics and the dealer knew his product much better than the orange guys. I've used it for snow removal, brushhogging, harvesting firewood and general landscaping duties and for the most part have been very impressed. It's a beast!

My only complaint is that the paint in the bucket is peeling off in strips 4-6 inches long, exposing rust underneath. It's just surface rust, and I can easily sand it down to prime and paint, but in 25 years of using Kubotas hard the most I saw were scuffs and scrapes in the orange paint. My local dealer has been very supportive, and they agreed that it was unusual. They have sent several requests to JD asking if there had been a bad batch. No replies from corporate. Silence. And that, more than the presenting problem, has me worried. If JD corporate can't even bother responding to their dealers...

·
Administrator
18,802 Posts
Maybe they have changed something or yours just had a bad prep job, but I've always been amazed how well the paint (or whatever it is?) has held up inside the buckets.

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
I dunno but I spent a week moving stones around my property this summer and my bucket went from having a few scratches in it to stripped clean of paint. The 60#+ stones just seemed to beat the paint right off the bucket and it came out in big flakes. I'd be interested in what you hear back from Deere and your dealer if you ever do hear.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The description of the failure sounds like it is powder coat.

Powder paint has become the coating of choice for paint jobs that don't need an ultra fine finish (think automotive) because they don't require any organic solvents and thus meet emissions regulations without much treatment.

I've always hated powder paint because it is impossible to repair (you can't feather the plastic skin like you can "real" paint) and when it starts to fail, the whole piece will become paintless as corrosion sets in under the coating.

Al

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
The description of the failure sounds like it is powder coat.

Powder paint has become the coating of choice for paint jobs that don't need an ultra fine finish (think automotive) because they don't require any organic solvents and thus meet emissions regulations without much treatment.

I've always hated powder paint because it is impossible to repair (you can't feather the plastic skin like you can "real" paint) and when it starts to fail, the whole piece will become paintless as corrosion sets in under the coating.

Al
My thoughts too. Same problem with powder coated snow plow blades. :nunu: Once the paint start to peel it comes off in sheets.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with your dealer..its unusual. I have moved hundreds of yards of pit run, gravel, sand, and M-10 with an H-260 bucket and its scratched and scuffed but the paint is still there.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I'm curious as to where the loader arms were manufactured. My 300CX was made in China.

NOTE: I'm not trying to turn this into an "everything made is China is crap" thread!! Some good stuff comes out of China, but it's pretty well documented that there are often corners cut in their processes.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
18,802 Posts
Mark, I believe only the cast towers and QA shoes are China made, the loader itself is made / assembled in the US or Mexico.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
You're probably correct (I'm 99.999999% sure that you are! :laugh:) about that. I noticed the "Made in China" on the towers and wrongly assumed that the whole loader assembly came from there.

THANKS for setting me straight! :bigbeer:

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
374 Posts
The paint is very poor on my dad's 5065E loader. The steel is not primed, the paint is coming off in odd places, and rust sets in as soon as the paint is cracked or broken. His tractor has less than 300 easy hours on it, and it is stored in a shed.
The paint is much better on my 790.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After ten days I got a response from Deere advising me it is best to work the issue with my local dealer...the same one they were not responding to.

I'm really unimpressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts