Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my first winter using a FEL mounted plow, any advice, do’s and do nots. I have a 72” moose plow that I had welded to a quick tach plate, any feedback is appreciated.
I’m not looking for lessons on how to plow snow, I have plenty of experience with that. But I have not used a FEL mounted before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Make sure the trip function is working and go slow until you get used to using it. The first season with mine I found that things sneak up on you deceptively fast. It's easy to clip and mailbox or stone wall with that plow hanging out there. Keep in mind that you'll end up sliding some when you apply brakes. If you wait until the last second to brake, you'll catch something with that plow.

As far as technique goes, plow and make your piles. In future storms, I found it easier to plow up to the existing piles and then use the loader to push the new snow up and over the top of the old piles. Once you let that snow sit, it'll harden into one solid mass and you aren't going to move it again.

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the trip function is working and go slow until you get used to using it. The first season with mine I found that things sneak up on you deceptively fast. It's easy to clip and mailbox or stone wall with that plow hanging out there. Keep in mind that you'll end up sliding some when you apply brakes. If you wait until the last second to brake, you'll catch something with that plow.

As far as technique goes, plow and make your piles. In future storms, I found it easier to plow up to the existing piles and then use the loader to push the new snow up and over the top of the old piles. Once you let that snow sit, it'll harden into one solid mass and you aren't going to move it again.
Thanks Jim, the first thing I noticed when I put it on was “man, that’s a lot further out in front of me than I’m used to”

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Thanks Jim, the first thing I noticed when I put it on was “man, that’s a lot further out in front of me than I’m used to”
You'll get used to that. It's kinda intimidating the first few storms though! :laugh: You gotta remember that it's hanging out there when you are backing up and turning at the same time. I may or may not have clipped the side of my garage doing that once (or twice!). I'm not telling! :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get used to that. It's kinda intimidating the first few storms though! :laugh: You gotta remember that it's hanging out there when you are backing up and turning at the same time. I may or may not have clipped the side of my garage doing that once (or twice!). I'm not telling! :kidw_truck_smiley:
Haha, I’m sure I’ll join that club too or the steps to the deck, lots of possibilities

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This will be my first winter using a FEL mounted plow, any advice, do’s and do nots. I have a 72” moose plow that I had welded to a quick tach plate, any feedback is appreciated.
I’m not looking for lessons on how to plow snow, I have plenty of experience with that. But I have not used a FEL mounted before.

Any pics? I have been looking at doing something like that too. Found a moose plow on Craigslist that could be modified.
Thanks

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any pics? I have been looking at doing something like that too. Found a moose plow on Craigslist that could be modified.
Thanks

I was wondering about pushing snow, common sense tells if I’m pushing a lot of or heavy snow to push with a straight blade and then clean up. Should be fun anyway

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any concern of bending the FEL arms? I would think if you “catch” a mailbox the force would go to that side arm.

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any concern of bending the FEL arms? I would think if you “catch” a mailbox the force would go to that side arm.

That’s probably my biggest concern.

Reactions: ky_shawn and Levi

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
Not sure of the alignment of your moldboard but watch for the front tires coming off the ground when the cutting edge digs in. You may find that sometimes the tractor will want to try to climb over the moldboard once the trip springs come into play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts