Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody still use a Fence Charger? Any recommendation for small acreage with sheep and/or cattle? We have tall wet grass to contend with so a little more power is needed.
Love this one, steel case and all, but :gizmo:. . . .

Red Snap'r EAC20M-RSS Steel 20 Mile AC Fence Charger
91NCqv4XdGL._SL1500_.jpg 91uVvmnXeBL._SL1500_.jpg

I have power so solar is not a requirement. My old Snap'r still kicks out a spark but just not sure it will handle wet grass management. Guess I just need to test it out for myself . . . . not!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Good thread! I need one that is solar panel operated, as it is too far from the house or barn to run cords. I have one pasture completely unusable, because neighbor's horses keep leaning on the fence and pushing it down. :nunu: That pasture grows good grass, so I need to find a way to run my own on it, but am not willing to come home to missing critters, at the end of the day, because of someone else's taking the fence down.

So, would love to hear what others are using, and have had good, dependable results with.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
I think we run a Zareba but I'll need to check on that.
Has been in service for us for many years now.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I just bought a Gallagher M20, but it is for a small area. It does work good for its size.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
IME, zareba's are junk. not enough power and cheap.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Good thread! I need one that is solar panel operated, as it is too far from the house or barn to run cords. I have one pasture completely unusable, because neighbor's horses keep leaning on the fence and pushing it down. :nunu: That pasture grows good grass, so I need to find a way to run my own on it, but am not willing to come home to missing critters, at the end of the day, because of someone else's taking the fence down.

So, would love to hear what others are using, and have had good, dependable results with.
what about a DC charger? you just hook it up to a deep cycle battery. when it goes dead, just charge it up. if your fence is clean, 1 charge should last 4-6 months

Reactions: Marlin

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Nope, It's a Gallagher Wrangler, bought it in 2008, approximately 7K Volts...

IMG_0022.JPG

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
IME, zareba's are junk. not enough power and cheap.
What do you consider a charger with enough power? The one you linked is a wimpy 2 joules.
I have used quite a few zarebas over the years, and I usually have replace a few components on them every few years. I've been always looking for something different, but haven't found anything available that comes close to the 15 joule output. Maybe the high powered chargers fry more components???

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
What do you consider a charger with enough power? The one you linked is a wimpy 2 joules.
I have used quite a few zarebas over the years, and I usually have replace a few components on them every few years. I've been always looking for something different, but haven't found anything available that comes close to the 15 joule output. Maybe the high powered chargers fry more components???
:munch:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
:tongue:

it seems like they simply dont give enough oomph. and yes, im using 10' of ground and that should be plenty. maybe the soil conditions? the speedrite's get about 6-12" of ground and will shock you half to death on a ten strand poly fence thats about 2000' long.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Marlin

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Zareba® 200 Mile AC Low Impedance Fence Charger, Model EAC200M-Z

We use the Zareba 200 mile charger on our little 5 acre plot. It will knock your socks off right through a heavy jacket.

It has been in service for 7 years or so and only once has it been replaced. That was due to a lightening strike and I doubt any of the chargers will last through literally being blown off the wall.

We have three 8 foot ground rods 15' apart and pretty good moist soil.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We have had this one for close to a decade,, Zarbea

It has been perfect. We used it for garden protection.

Initially, we ran it on "D" cells, then switched to an old car battery.

The charger would protect the garden for the entire growing season with only two chargings of the battery.

Prior to that, we used the gray Southern States metal box,,, they required throwing them away after two seasons.
AND, boy, did those gray ones eat batteries,,, 3 weeks on a good truck battery,,,

I did try one of the solar Southern States ones,,, the battery refused to hold a charge after one season,,,
and the battery replacement was crazy expensive,,, :dunno:
BTW, we switched to an animal proof fence a couple years ago,,, it is even better than a fence charger!! :lolol:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
im not saying zareba's are bad, im saying i just dont prefer them. just sayin':flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
I checked ours, its a Zareba. Can't tell how many Joules it is, but it did well for a while. I'm not sure if it's working right now, I should test it.
I hear using your tongue is an effective way to test them. Let us know how that works out for ya. :good2:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I hear using your tongue is an effective way to test them. Let us know how that works out for ya. :good2:
or takin' a leak on the live output wire!:lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts