Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching this type of attachment for purchase-either 3 point or ATV/UTV mount-and want to hear from present or past owners of such. DR's product is one to consider,Swisher made one but now is discontinued and there are several European brands as well. I'm partial to the atv/utv configuration . Comments,please.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
I'm researching this type of attachment for purchase-either 3 point or ATV/UTV mount-and want to hear from present or past owners of such. DR's product is one to consider,Swisher made one but now is discontinued and there are several European brands as well. I'm partial to the atv/utv configuration . Comments,please.
Do you have any links or photos of what you are talking about? :dunno:

·
Administrator
16,777 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. Now it's on my "I really want one" list!

trimmer.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've seen them used for $600-$800, they will downtilt to trim around pond banks. as long as you don't have thick brush you shouldn't need to change the line constantly. The lower you trim to the ground the faster you will chew up the line.

3025e

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Of course the video shows it mounted on an orange tractor.

Looks like it missed quite a bit. Especially around the back side of the fence post. Maybe if you can set the line length a little longer it would do better.
This is the problem with any string trimmer.
The string must be thick and durable enough to not need constant replacement.
The drive must be powerful enough to rip through what you want to cut.
However cutter must be gentle enough to not damage what you are trimming around.
You must also be able to control the line head to minimize damage. Not the easiest especially with a hand held unit.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I tried the DR 3-point trimmer a year or so ago. I thought I could make it work to trim up close to chain-link fences and for trimming up close to buildings, but it did not work for me. I'm sure it would do better around barb-wire fences as shown but that's not what I have.

I found the trimmer hard to control being on the rear of the tractor, which means it moves opposite to the tractor steering, i.e., if getting too close to the fence and steer the tractor to the left to move away, that actually moves the trimmer further to the right and further into the fence.

Dr makes good equipment and I have used their walk-behind trimmers for years. This 3-point trimmer is well-built but just not the right design for my needs. But they were great about letting me return it after trying it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts