Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little FYI do not get the Ferris with the Briggs and Stratton dry sump (external oil tank) we got 2 at work and one blew up with 6 hrs on it.Found out there having problems with them.

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
The Oil Guard System? Wow. Seemed like an excellent idea.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waiting on dealer to pick them up,should've gotten the Kawasaki engine till they proven themselves.

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
The Briggs Big Block is favored by far in the industry over the Kawi. You can still get the BB without the Oil Guard option. It's about a $1200 option here.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know nothing of this new Briggs system nor do I know what the "big block" terminology refers to in Briggs. I have had Briggs engines on equipment all my life and they are good reliable but oil-consuming engines in my experience. My newest one though, a 20hp V twin still in use, was bought in like 2003 so I know nothing of the latest developments. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't mind adding oil every use, but the Kohlers and Kawasakis I'm running start easier and use zero engine oil. And the little 20-yr-old Honda on my push mower is just downright amazing in its reliability. In essence, sadly, Briggs has become my last choice when it comes to engines.

Oh, had I not broke down and bought a JD Z920M, a Ferris would have definitely come home with me. Me likey:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
I know nothing of this new Briggs system nor do I know what the "big block" terminology refers to in Briggs. I have had Briggs engines on equipment all my life and they are good reliable but oil-consuming engines in my experience. My newest one though, a 20hp V twin still in use, was bought in like 2003 so I know nothing of the latest developments. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't mind adding oil every use, but the Kohlers and Kawasakis I'm running start easier and use zero engine oil. And the little 20-yr-old Honda on my push mower is just downright amazing in its reliability. In essence, sadly, Briggs has become my last choice when it comes to engines.

Oh, had I not broke down and bought a JD Z920M, a Ferris would have definitely come home with me. Me likey:thumbup1gif:
The Big Blocks are Briggs Vanguard engines made by Daihatsu, a major automotive engine builder in Japan. As mentioned, they are the large displacement V twins used in commercial applications, usually not found in consumer grade products. They have an extremely good reputation amongst the end users in the field. I can't comment personally on oil consumption as I don't own one, but I'd be surprised if it were high and considered normal.

The Kohler I currently own does use oil and is considered normal. It also smokes occasionally on start-up and is a normal trait for these engines. The past two Kawi's I had did the same.

Oil consumption on small air-cooled engines is just the nature of the beast. The tolerances are larger than liquid cooled engines to accommodate larger temperature swings associated with air cooling. Some just use more oil than others.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,147 Posts
Briggs had big time problems a few years ago with V twins blowing oil like crazy to the point where some Husqvarna
lawn tractor owners were trying to figure how to put a Kohler or Kawasaki on them.

Real horror stories on a few sites about them burning 1/2 quart in 2 hours and Briggs saying that was normal or even worse
a rod letting go and busting the block was pretty common to hear about on V twin powered Snappers and Husqvarnas.

I've had great luck and no oil burning problems with my 3 Briggs engines, but the newest one is a 1995 OHV 14.5 HP and all are single cylinder.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out on Friday from the dealer when he picked up the mower that they had one blow up doing a demo in the lot.The dealer is not happy with Ferris right now.:banghead:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,147 Posts
Found out on Friday from the dealer when he picked up the mower that they had one blow up doing a demo in the lot.The dealer is not happy with Ferris right now.:banghead:
I'd be hard pressed to buy anything with a Briggs on it right now, way, way too many negative stories out there.
If Briggs don't straighten quality out pretty soon, they're fixing to have "junk" associated with their brand.
Once you start going down that road as a company, it's hard to come back.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up the new Z turn today.Ferris wanted the whole unit and sent us a new one.Thought for sure it would be a R and R engine swap.See how long this one last.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yep. Most air cooled engines burn oil. At work we have a few big air cooled engines. 540 Cubic inches. They burn a quart about every 10 hours. Just the nature of the beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts