Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m looking to purchase a new zero turn mower for my propert. I live in Michigan and have 3.5 acres to mow. It’s flat but kind of bumpy. I have been mowing this with my x500 and my 1025R. Looking to get a machine that’s faster. I’m looking now with the thought of getting an off season cash price on a mower. I had a Deere Z960M and a Ferris ISX2100 for a demo earlier this year. However times changed and I wasn’t able to buy the machine earlier this year like I planned.

I was impressed by the Deere I had. In addition to appearing to be build well the Deere is easy nice I have a good dealer and they are close. In addition it’s a large dealer and the sell the entire Deere lime. They probably have 17 locations. The only complaint I has was the ride. It rode really bad, really bad. This was a z960M with Tweels.

The Ferris dealer was very nice as well. More of a mom needs pop. One location and next one is another hour plus away.However the Ferris rode well and cut good. I’m torn. I’m concerned the Briggs is bankrup and will be owned my an investment firm. Usually that means things will get cheapened up to turn a profit. FYI - Ferris is owned by Briggs.

Other than the ride the Deere gets the nod. Good dealer experience, honest and reliable. I priced it with Tweels all the way around and the best seat they offer. However the ride of the Ferris makes me feel I would regret not getting one. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I'd go with the Ferris. And look for a model with the Kawasaki engine.

Yes, B&S has filed Bankruptcy, but Ferris and their other brands will be around in the future. I wouldn't worry too much about future support.

Not sure what your budget is, but you might want to take a look at Xmark as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m planning on spending 13k plus or minus. We have one Exmark dealer here and they are terrible at best. I ruled them out just for that reason. Sadly the two models of Ferris mower I'm looking at ISX 2200 & 3300 (their top of the line gas machines) only come with a Briggs option. 28hp or 37hp.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
My Ferris was as an awesome machine. We sold it with the house and 3.5 acres of mowing when we moved from WI. Allot of the lawn was converted field and was not smooth, it did a great job. My 2925 is perfect for my current situation but woul buy another Ferrisvif I had open lawn and not forest to mow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can't beat Deere for parts and service availability. There will most likely always be a dealer close by. Mom and pop shops go out of business or they retire and junior sucks to deal with.
I've had a much harder time sourcing parts for other brands when they end up in our shop. Seems like it's always a couple weeks out.

·
Administrator
22,222 Posts
I sold my Deere and bought a Ferris IS3200Z. I haven’t looked back. It’s far superior in ride quality and almost as good as the Deere, only slightly behind in mowing quality. I’m very happy with my purchase.

Deere makes a fantastic product. I can’t and won’t deny that. But they do lack IMHO in the ride department.

I mow 6 acres on a weekly basis. I can actually walk when I’m done. I was was beat up after mowing with my Deere. But in Deere’s defense, any machine without the suspension the Ferris has, has the same deficiency. The Deere quality and consistency of cut was phenomenal. The Ferris isn’t far behind. The newer models may be even better.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would also look at Scag, the general consensus is that the cut quality is right there with deere, maybe they have a better suspension system than deere, it's been a couple of years since I looked into them so I can't remember.

The Toro my-ride suspension platform setup might be good too but Toro is owned by Briggs as well I believe so no advantage there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a Deere Z960M and a Ferris ISX2100 for a demo earlier this year.
JB78, you mentioned tweels on the Z960M; did the demo machine also have the suspension seat?

We have the Z950M with tweels, front fork flex, and seat suspension. I think it is a really nice ride... don't know for sure, my wife won't let me use it! She is able to go at full speed across somewhat bumpy lawn and she has lower back problems.

The guy who used to live at my property used a high end Ferris with independent suspension as does the farmer down the road. I don't think you will go wrong with those either, if no parts issues arise from Briggs bankruptcy.

My take on Scag, Exmark, and Hustler. Their commercial machines filled the void when Deere stopped producing Ztrak 757 / 777 and came up short with their next model. Scag, Exmark, and Hustler are simple to maintain, have good reliability, and good productivity features (low center of mass and high hp). Landscape business owners love them and those three are primarily what you see on commercial landscape trailers. I have always assumed paying for the "Cadillac" doesn't make good business sense, but is OK for homeowner who is the owner/operator. I don't believe ride comfort is the main factor a Edit: Professional Landscaper business owner considers.

·
Administrator
22,222 Posts
I don't believe ride comfort is the main factor a Landscape owner considers
My back would beg to differ.... but I’m not a professional landscaper. I’m an owner who mows 6 acres weekly on rough terrain. I bought my “Cadillac” Ferris significantly cheaper than the equivalent Deere.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My SIL has a ferris zero turn and I have a Toro 2500 series, mine has the kawasaki engine not sure what his has for an engine. The Ferris has great suspension and a much more comfortable ride than my Toro. Toro has a fancy seat and that is all for comfort. Test drive each before you buy, that will give you your answers.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
LOVE my Ferris IS2000 with full independent suspension and 24hp Kawasaki. I too, have lower back issues and used to get beat up pretty bad when I mowed. I can mow all day at full speed (11 to 12 mph) over pretty rough former alfalfa fields that I have a bunch of four to six mower width trails cut in. The Ferris is a beast and I would buy another if I needed a new mower.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Hello, I’m looking to purchase a new zero turn mower for my propert. I live in Michigan and have 3.5 acres to mow. It’s flat but kind of bumpy. I have been mowing this with my x500 and my 1025R. Looking to get a machine that’s faster.
Both the ZTRs you are interested in are rated a whole ground-scorching 🔥 1 mph faster than your 1025R.

I ( like most people) have two next door neighbors. This story involves the Deere and Ferris models you have mentioned.

Neighbor A had the Deere. Then his wife had back surgery. After surgery, she found the Deere hurt her back too much to use it. Neighbor A then sold the Deere to neighbor B, and bought the Ferris.

Neighbor A’s wife loves the Ferris for its comfort, and is back to mowing the farm herself. Big win for neighbor A.

Neighbor B has to run the Deere very slowly, because it hurts his 65 year old back otherwise.

None of us are getting younger, and being comfortable is a big plus. Practically any ZTR would work for you if you hire a young guy to ride it for you.

Ferris.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I would buy the Deere...and a kidney belt. Dealer and parts support mean more than anything else to me

·
Administrator
22,222 Posts
I would buy the Deere...and a kidney belt. Dealer and parts support mean more than anything else to me
3 years, 300+ hours, huge oil tank, best ride ever, and off the shelf parts are easy to acquire. Zero issues. Seems like a success to me?

That being said, Deere is excellent in parts availability. Nobody in the business can deny that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I bought my Scag the dealer also sold Ferris and he steered me towards the Scag. Since I had already owned a Scag previously it didn't take much persuasion. Don't remember why he steered me that way but I love my Tiger Cat II. I mow 3 acres in about 1 hour and 20 minutes. It has a Kawasaki engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would also look at Scag, the general consensus is that the cut quality is right there with deere, maybe they have a better suspension system than deere, it's been a couple of years since I looked into them so I can't remember.

The Toro my-ride suspension platform setup might be good too but Toro is owned by Briggs as well I believe so no advantage there.
Toro isn’t owned by Briggs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JB78, you mentioned tweels on the Z960M; did the demo machine also have the suspension seat?

We have the Z950M with tweels, front fork flex, and seat suspension. I think it is a really nice ride... don't know for sure, my wife won't let me use it! She is able to go at full speed across somewhat bumpy lawn and she has lower back problems.

The guy who used to live at my property used a high end Ferris with independent suspension as does the farmer down the road. I don't think you will go wrong with those either, if no parts issues arise from Briggs bankruptcy.

My take on Scag, Exmark, and Hustler. Their commercial machines filled the void when Deere stopped producing Ztrak 757 / 777 and came up short with their next model. Scag, Exmark, and Hustler are simple to maintain, have good reliability, and good productivity features (low center of mass and high hp). Landscape business owners love them and those three are primarily what you see on commercial landscape trailers. I have always assumed paying for the "Cadillac" doesn't make good business sense, but is OK for homeowner who is the owner/operator. I don't believe ride comfort is the main factor a Edit: Professional Landscaper business owner considers.
the demo machine had the upgraded suspension seat and tweels in the rear. Rode terrible.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Toro isn’t owned by Briggs.
That makes sense, I think they use their own Chinese built motor on some of their models if I remember right.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts