Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Both the ZTRs you are interested in are rated a whole ground-scorching 馃敟 1 mph faster than your 1025R.

I ( like most people) have two next door neighbors. This story involves the Deere and Ferris models you have mentioned.

Neighbor A had the Deere. Then his wife had back surgery. After surgery, she found the Deere hurt her back too much to use it. Neighbor A then sold the Deere to neighbor B, and bought the Ferris.

Neighbor A鈥檚 wife loves the Ferris for its comfort, and is back to mowing the farm herself. Big win for neighbor A.

Neighbor B has to run the Deere very slowly, because it hurts his 65 year old back otherwise.

None of us are getting younger, and being comfortable is a big plus. Practically any ZTR would work for you if you hire a young guy to ride it for you.

Ferris.
The speed isn鈥檛 everything. A fair p Amount of what I mow is wooded. Turning the 1025 around vs a zero isn鈥檛 comparable.

Registered
The commercial toro doesn鈥檛 however the lower end toro and exmark (owned by toro) do.
I used to be a lot more knowledgeable about commercial mowers, I was in the mowing biz a couple of years back and spent a lot of time reading about and researching mowers but apparently haven't retained as much of that info as I would like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Dang. I have 3 dealers closer than the nearest JD dealership. Brother is running a Hustler X-One. He can mow at 10 mph. He has a large yard plus he has a small mowing business. I shopped Deere hard a few months ago. I ended with a Hustler Raptor SDX 60".
Yeah if they we closer I would look at one for sure. But thats too far to be practical.

Registered
I have a 960M with suspension seat and have not looked back it is a beast had a Ferris and had nothing but problems with it. Know experience with others.
Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Machine Box

Reactions: Gizmo2

Registered
Without question, the suspension on a Ferris makes for a really nice ride. Looking past that, I believe the Deere outshines it in build quality, dealer support, parts replacement, cut quality, better deck and overall reliability. My two biggest complaints with Deere is the limited engine options in their commercial line and the ride. Running Tweels does help, as does Z Glides. The armrests on the Deere need to be upgraded, not near comfortable enough in my opinion. The 7 Iron deck is super strong, cuts beautifully and disperses clippings like no other. The only other deck that comes close in my opinion is the Scag Velocity Plus deck.

Registered
Hello, I鈥檓 looking to purchase a new zero turn mower for my propert. I live in Michigan and have 3.5 acres to mow. It鈥檚 flat but kind of bumpy. I have been mowing this with my x500 and my 1025R. Looking to get a machine that鈥檚 faster. I鈥檓 looking now with the thought of getting an off season cash price on a mower. I had a Deere Z960M and a Ferris ISX2100 for a demo earlier this year. However times changed and I wasn鈥檛 able to buy the machine earlier this year like I planned.

I was impressed by the Deere I had. In addition to appearing to be build well the Deere is easy nice I have a good dealer and they are close. In addition it鈥檚 a large dealer and the sell the entire Deere lime. They probably have 17 locations. The only complaint I has was the ride. It rode really bad, really bad. This was a z960M with Tweels.

The Ferris dealer was very nice as well. More of a mom needs pop. One location and next one is another hour plus away.However the Ferris rode well and cut good. I鈥檓 torn. I鈥檓 concerned the Briggs is bankrup and will be owned my an investment firm. Usually that means things will get cheapened up to turn a profit. FYI - Ferris is owned by Briggs.

Other than the ride the Deere gets the nod. Good dealer experience, honest and reliable. I priced it with Tweels all the way around and the best seat they offer. However the ride of the Ferris makes me feel I would regret not getting one. Thoughts?
Hello, I鈥檓 looking to purchase a new zero turn mower for my propert. I live in Michigan and have 3.5 acres to mow. It鈥檚 flat but kind of bumpy. I have been mowing this with my x500 and my 1025R. Looking to get a machine that鈥檚 faster. I鈥檓 looking now with the thought of getting an off season cash price on a mower. I had a Deere Z960M and a Ferris ISX2100 for a demo earlier this year. However times changed and I wasn鈥檛 able to buy the machine earlier this year like I planned.

I was impressed by the Deere I had. In addition to appearing to be build well the Deere is easy nice I have a good dealer and they are close. In addition it鈥檚 a large dealer and the sell the entire Deere lime. They probably have 17 locations. The only complaint I has was the ride. It rode really bad, really bad. This was a z960M with Tweels.

The Ferris dealer was very nice as well. More of a mom needs pop. One location and next one is another hour plus away.However the Ferris rode well and cut good. I鈥檓 torn. I鈥檓 concerned the Briggs is bankrup and will be owned my an investment firm. Usually that means things will get cheapened up to turn a profit. FYI - Ferris is owned by Briggs.

Other than the ride the Deere gets the nod. Good dealer experience, honest and reliable. I priced it with Tweels all the way around and the best seat they offer. However the ride of the Ferris makes me feel I would regret not getting one. Thoughts?
I have a John deere z930 and a ferris isx 2200...I bought the ferris due to the awful ride of the John deere..however kinda regretting it..the cut is horrible and there no comparison what do ever to the cut quality of the John deere...if you have wet grass on any level and the trash factoy blades and any grass at all in the deck or any 1 of the three things mentioned it will cut horribly..the deere on the other hand will cut anything with ease and never had an issue..thw deere cut with the ferris ride would be the perfect mower...its really a toss up!

Premium Member
My old Ferris IS2000 cuts great with gator blades on it even though the concensus is that you can't run gators on a Ferris ICD deck. I ground .125 off the ends of the gators and they fit. I also run my deck level, not canted like the manual suggests.

Registered
My old Ferris IS2000 cuts great with gator blades on it even though the concensus is that you can't run gators on a Ferris ICD deck. I ground .125 off the ends of the gators and they fit. I also run my deck level, not canted like the manual suggests.
I run gators on mine as well but once they get a little bit of wear and any grass at all stuck in the deck its a lost cause. The gators do cut and last a bit better than the oem blades but not a huge difference.

Registered
Do it about 2 acres at a time, and you can go it by battery on a Ryobi ZT480e. Lowes has another brand that they push that has multiple batteries similar to what you put into other tools. The Ryobi, out of Home Depot, has four 12v lead acid batteries.

Here's mine with new tires to handle hills better. The original tires would be okay for flat lawns.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Premium Member
This thread is 2 years old. I'm thinking the op probably bought a mower by now.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

Administrator
I run double gators on my Ferris IS3200Z in an X pattern. It works wonderfully well and cuts pretty darn good. I can鈥檛 complain. The suspension gives me the ability to walk after I鈥檓 done mowing. I seriously doubt there will be a different Z in my possession without suspension.

Premium Member
I run double gators on my Ferris IS3200Z in an X pattern. It works wonderfully well and cuts pretty darn good. I can鈥檛 complain. The suspension gives me the ability to walk after I鈥檓 done mowing. I seriously doubt there will be a different Z in my possession without suspension.
I'm with you on that, I could never mow without suspension again. I think a 3200 with a 72" deck would be perfect for my needs.

Registered
Do it about 2 acres at a time, and you can go it by battery on a Ryobi ZT480e. Lowes has another brand that they push that has multiple batteries similar to what you put into other tools. The Ryobi, out of Home Depot, has four 12v lead acid batteries.

Here's mine with new tires to handle hills better. The original tires would be okay for flat lawns.

View attachment 840303
I鈥檝e never seen R-1 tires mounted backwards. What made you decide to do that? You mentioned for better traction on hills; are they working OK?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts