Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked many people in the Ag business but none of them really know what type of fertilizer would be best for trees. I have a mixture of oaks, spruce, all types of maples and some fruit and nut trees. For some reason, this last year has been hard on my spruce trees. I did a test for aphids but they are free of that. So I plan to put down some fertilizer, 15 acres, to maybe help them out. I know the ground is not dead as we have ran a soil test and there is still life. Certain spots seem water washed and that is mostly where the spruce trees are.

So I can but Urea (46% Nitriogen) for $850.00 a ton or 13-13-13 for $950.00 a ton. The potash will take about 4 months to breakdown and be usefull so I will not see much benifit from that this year. I am torn. Will the high notrogen in the urea cause the trees to grow and not fill out cause a weak trunk? I do not know what one is a smarter choice....... Anyone?

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I have asked many people in the Ag business but none of them really know what type of fertilizer would be best for trees. I have a mixture of oaks, spruce, all types of maples and some fruit and nut trees. For some reason, this last year has been hard on my spruce trees. I did a test for aphids but they are free of that. So I plan to put down some fertilizer, 15 acres, to maybe help them out. I know the ground is not dead as we have ran a soil test and there is still life. Certain spots seem water washed and that is mostly where the spruce trees are.

So I can but Urea (46% Nitriogen) for $850.00 a ton or 13-13-13 for $950.00 a ton. The potash will take about 4 months to breakdown and be usefull so I will not see much benifit from that this year. I am torn. Will the high notrogen in the urea cause the trees to grow and not fill out cause a weak trunk? I do not know what one is a smarter choice....... Anyone?
Given the two choices, I would go with the 13-13-13. It will be more balanced and not as "hot". The fact that the 13-13-13 will take longer to breakdown is good. I think a 20-10-10 would be better though. Do you have a county extension office that helps out with soil tests and things like that? We have had problems in the past with our spruce trees getting "rhizosphaera needle cast".

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Arlen. I have done a soil test and the results came back Friday. They recomend 20-20-20. That stuff is not cheap!

So I am going to have a blend made of Urea and some other stuff to do a 40-15-20. That should be half the cost since its bulk. I hope to have it down in the next 2 weeks.

Yesterday, between the chaos and the ER, I sprayed the spruce trees with a foliage fertilizer. Lets hope I did not kill them. :lol:

·
Registered
9,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,856 Posts
Im a total novice at this but ive got a handful of cypress trees that are thriving from these tree spikes i put around them every spring and fall. I know its not the best application for 15 acres but the combination seems to work on all evergreens. My FIL tried it on a blue spruce he was having trouble with and it rebounded fairly quickly.
I think evergreens like acidic soil

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did the Extension office check for iron deficiency?
Chlorosis is a common problem for trees and shrubs.

·
Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
193 Posts
I use the same spikes Kyle AKA Kbar uses on a row of arborvitae that I desperately needed to block the view of the neighbor’s junk when I’m on the east side of the house (12 acres for 3 houses and I have to see his crap just beyond our property line). We’ve used them for 2.5 years now and the trees have done well.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Trees in the forest do not get fertilizer except from their own leaves. Worms do the fertilization by eating the leaves.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Trees in the forest do not get fertilizer except from their own leaves. Worms do the fertilization by eating the leaves.
That's pretty much true for hardwoods. Plantation pines do sometimes get fertilized depending on the cost of the fertilizer and application. Right now, the economics aren't there but at times they are.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
That's pretty much true for hardwoods. Plantation pines do sometimes get fertilized depending on the cost of the fertilizer and application. Right now, the economics aren't there but at times they are.

Treefarmer
Crazy to think that when a 2x4 sells for more than $1/ft it still isn’t worth fertilizing trees!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Crazy to think that when a 2x4 sells for more than $1/ft it still isn’t worth fertilizing trees!
Our standard (Premium) 8' 2x4 just went to $13 at a local Menards

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Even crazier when timber prices are pretty much the same as 20 years ago. It's not a question of a lack of timber, at least in the SE US which grows a very large percentage of softwood timber. There wasn't enough mill capacity in use to meet demand and mill owners are not in any rush to expand capacity. They can get all the logs they want with the exception of some short term local shortages due to weather.

Short term the mills are stashing cash like never before. Long term they will destroy demand and consumers will move to composite lumber and other building materials. "The cure for high prices is high prices." If the mills don't meet demand, consumers will move to other products, probably on a permanent basis. As a timber grower who needs to plan for demand in 5-60 year time frame, I'm not thrilled with the current situation. There's no incentive for me to grow trees faster because there's already a regional oversupply.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
701 Posts
Its nature telling you spruce trees are not the best tree for your piece of ground. Let them die and plant something that is happy in your soil.

If you have to fertilize trees than you've got the wrong trees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.