Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked many people in the Ag business but none of them really know what type of fertilizer would be best for trees. I have a mixture of oaks, spruce, all types of maples and some fruit and nut trees. For some reason, this last year has been hard on my spruce trees. I did a test for aphids but they are free of that. So I plan to put down some fertilizer, 15 acres, to maybe help them out. I know the ground is not dead as we have ran a soil test and there is still life. Certain spots seem water washed and that is mostly where the spruce trees are.

So I can but Urea (46% Nitriogen) for $850.00 a ton or 13-13-13 for $950.00 a ton. The potash will take about 4 months to breakdown and be usefull so I will not see much benifit from that this year. I am torn. Will the high notrogen in the urea cause the trees to grow and not fill out cause a weak trunk? I do not know what one is a smarter choice....... Anyone?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have asked many people in the Ag business but none of them really know what type of fertilizer would be best for trees. I have a mixture of oaks, spruce, all types of maples and some fruit and nut trees. For some reason, this last year has been hard on my spruce trees. I did a test for aphids but they are free of that. So I plan to put down some fertilizer, 15 acres, to maybe help them out. I know the ground is not dead as we have ran a soil test and there is still life. Certain spots seem water washed and that is mostly where the spruce trees are.

So I can but Urea (46% Nitriogen) for $850.00 a ton or 13-13-13 for $950.00 a ton. The potash will take about 4 months to breakdown and be usefull so I will not see much benifit from that this year. I am torn. Will the high notrogen in the urea cause the trees to grow and not fill out cause a weak trunk? I do not know what one is a smarter choice....... Anyone?
Given the two choices, I would go with the 13-13-13. It will be more balanced and not as "hot". The fact that the 13-13-13 will take longer to breakdown is good. I think a 20-10-10 would be better though. Do you have a county extension office that helps out with soil tests and things like that? We have had problems in the past with our spruce trees getting "rhizosphaera needle cast".

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Arlen. I have done a soil test and the results came back Friday. They recomend 20-20-20. That stuff is not cheap!

So I am going to have a blend made of Urea and some other stuff to do a 40-15-20. That should be half the cost since its bulk. I hope to have it down in the next 2 weeks.

Yesterday, between the chaos and the ER, I sprayed the spruce trees with a foliage fertilizer. Lets hope I did not kill them. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts