Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My nephew has 2 about 1 acre lots that were pasture when he got them. They have not been used or mowed for a year perhaps 2. I would hate to see them grow out to trash. Any ideas on how to help bring them back?
Would you let them be and mow in spring?
Mow them now as best we can before snow to help mulch existing grass, of course all laid down now
Plow under and start again?
Thx

·
Registered
459 Posts
My nephew has 2 about 1 acre lots that were pasture when he got them. They have not been used or mowed for a year perhaps 2. I would hate to see them grow out to trash. Any ideas on how to help bring them back?
Would you let them be and mow in spring?
Mow them now as best we can before snow to help mulch existing grass, of course all laid down now
Plow under and start again?
Thx
We had a similar situation with a few acres at one side of the property. It was meadow that had been untended for probably 10 years. Full of thorns and nasty vegetation.
Ended up using the neighbor's bush hog to cut it down, and then used the the MMM to cut it to about 8". Kept it cut at that length for about 6 months and it's turned into beautiful grass.

·
Premium Member
12,881 Posts
I agree, mow it and keep mowing it, eventually the unwanted will die off and the grass will take over. Maybe a little overseeding if that is necessary.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Id recommend cutting it back in the winter months, you will have less vegetation mass, which will make it easier for the machine to handle. Keep hitting it in spring once regrowth sprouts up. You can also spray it with something like remedy ultra herbicide in spring when new growth has started.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It may not be allowed where you are located but burning it off in the early spring is a quick way to remove old dead grass, briars and weeds. Most of my property was overgrown in weeds, burnt it off the first spring followed by cutting with a brush hog 3-4x during the growing season. It grows back as nearly all pasture grass now about 4 years later. I wouldn’t plow it all under and try starting over until you at least try keeping it mowed every 4-6 weeks during the growing season. I wouldn’t cut it this late in the year.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Fire

It may not be allowed where you are located but burning it off in the early spring is a quick way to remove old dead grass, briars and weeds. Most of my property was overgrown in weeds, burnt it off the first spring followed by cutting with a brush hog 3-4x during the growing season. It grows back as nearly all pasture grass now about 4 years later. I wouldn’t plow it all under and try starting over until you at least try keeping it mowed every 4-6 weeks during the growing season. I wouldn’t cut it this late in the year.
It's really, really old school but controlled fire is very useful in controlling a lot of vegetation. Fire, combined with mowing can be an extremely good way to quickly change the landscape at potentially not a high cost. Let the fire get away from you and the cost is very high so it's something to be approached with care.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
*update* mowed the 2, 1/2 acre fields yesterday with a 60” land pride finish mower. It did very wel except for the chunk of wire I found. They were pretty wet, but sure look better. Wish I brought the schnauzers with me, they would have had a field day nailing field mice....

·
Premium Member
12,881 Posts
*update* mowed the 2, 1/2 acre fields yesterday. They were pretty wet, but sure look better. Wish I brought the schnauzers with me, they would have had a field day nailing field mice....
One thing to keep in mind is if you are clearing for weed control or unwanted growth is to mow again late spring and then more during summer. You want cut the growth before it’s seeds out or you’re essentially seeding the area when you mow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts