Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the dive and got an open station 3720. Tractor is not here, but I do have the ballast box.:lol:

Should I fill it with pea stone or cement? I am thinking cement. Anyone know how many bags? What can I do to make it the heaviest?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to tractor ownership. Now comes the waiting. I would think that concrete would be your best bang for the buck. I myself lined it with cardboard and filled it with common bricks. Of coarse my tractor is a tad bit smaller than yours, but it works great. I use my box for the FEL, brush, and snow blower.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Portland Cement is the heavier than regular cement, and you want heavy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I topped mine off with the Portland cement mix at Home Depot. I was shooting for 800-900 lb Did you get the JD ballast box?

For how many bags to buy, that depends on their size etc. Calculate the cubic size and the bags should have that info on them to determine how many bags you need.

JD has a weight calculator that i have seen to help you figure out how much weight you need. I don't have it but I'm sure somebody here can post it or provide it to you.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I think some people have put PVC pipes in there for tool holders, and other a mid-point eye for lifting it. Maybe people who have done this can chime in.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I think some people have put PVC pipes in there for tool holders, and other a mid-point eye for lifting it. Maybe people who have done this can chime in.

Pete
Yes, I have three 3" pipes to hold chains, a rake or a shovel...whatever. I also have a hook welded (sorry Pete:mocking::lol:) to the rear to aid in lifting if I need it.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
That is an excellent idea Aaron!

I wanted to do the PVC pipe but i wanted to add weight. So I thought I would add the tool carrier tot he outside and add more weght by making it in heavy steel. Still on my to do list.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in seeing what the PVC pipes would look like.

I will go with Portland Cement and then try to customize.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ballast box hitch

Aaron,
I realize this is an old thread, but I just found it. Where did you find the bolt on hitch and the piece that is bolted inside the ballast box? I do not weld and this looks like an elegant solution to my needs.
Roger

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,649 Posts
Aaron,
I realize this is an old thread, but I just found it. Where did you find the bolt on hitch and the piece that is bolted inside the ballast box? I do not weld and this looks like an elegant solution to my needs.
Roger
I would think about welding the inside nuts fast where the outside piece bolts to. You never know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts