Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got my ballast box full of rocks/boulders but its not quite enough. I've still managed to lift the back end off the ground on occasion. I'm getting ready to fill it with concrete but I have a couple of questions.

I've got 3 80# bags of quickcrete that have been in my garage forever, I plan to use those but I'm guessing I'll need probably 3 more? I just have the standard box, no extension. When you guys did yours were you able to mix it in the ballast box or mix it in a wheel barrow and then shovel it over? I haven't played with quickcrete much other than setting some fence posts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Clayh you could probably do the first couple in the box then the rest shovel in from your wheelbarrow. I just did mine and used 7 80# bags. I filled mine so there was a couple inches left which I could use to store stuff. I also sunk three pic tool holders as well. If you search the forum you can get some good ideas. Have fun.

Reactions: Levi

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
So I've got my ballast box full of rocks/boulders but its not quite enough. I've still managed to lift the back end off the ground on occasion. I'm getting ready to fill it with concrete but I have a couple of questions.

I've got 3 80# bags of quickcrete that have been in my garage forever, I plan to use those but I'm guessing I'll need probably 3 more? I just have the standard box, no extension. When you guys did yours were you able to mix it in the ballast box or mix it in a wheel barrow and then shovel it over? I haven't played with quickcrete much other than setting some fence posts.

Thanks!
"rocks/boulders" may take up too much room with too much empty space between them. 3/4" stone in mine and its fine, and adjustable.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
I filled mine with crusher run stone, very fine. Seems ok, but I need the extension to get closer to full rated ballast.
You have a bigger tractor also.

Reactions: Levi and 5304

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have railroad tie plates and zinc ingots stacked in my BB. Its very close to the max amt that my machine will lift and its not much more than 50% full by volume...leaving me room in the box for chain/rope, chainsaw, tools, etc. Paver bricks are heavy and stack nicely in the BB too. I don't quite grasp the permanency of filling a BB with concrete...then never being able to empty the BB and move it manually if the need were to arise.

Reactions: Levi and davidiowa

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I really like the ability to vary the weight. In my case anyway. I don't always need to have the box maxed out.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Steel weighs exactly 3X as compared to limestone rock.

AND,, if you need a piece of steel for a project,,, you can always look in the ballast box,,, :dunno:

Reactions: glc, Levi and 5304

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Yes, I do, good point. Hence the need for the extension. I was just suggesting the crusher run stone as an alternative to concrete. I think it would be enough ballast for him, but I could be mistaken.
:thumbup1gif:Yeah, I figured that and totally agree. Didn't want clayh going out and getting overkill equipment.

Reactions: glc, Levi and 5304

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I plan on using sand in mine, too. I have liquid-filled rear tires, so sand should be enough ballast, I would think.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
I have scrap iron in mine, including some lead & 2-RR rails bolted to the bottom for runners with a total of just over 600#, as called for on my 790. HPIM1260.JPG

This also leaves about 8" in the top for tools,etc. Never liked the idea of concrete, too permanent!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I do, good point. Hence the need for the extension. I was just suggesting the crusher run stone as an alternative to concrete. I think it would be enough ballast for him, but I could be mistaken.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll fill the bottom with the bags of concrete I have(REALLY getting tired of tripping over them) and then fill the rest with crusher stone. How big is crusher stone? I need to get a load of gravel for my driveway so maybe I'll use a bit of that.

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
I really like the ability to vary the weight. In my case anyway. I don't always need to have the box maxed out.
That's why I went with a Heavy Hitch and suitcase weights. Plus it sticks out the rear much less that a ballast box and has the receiver hitch built in.

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
That's why I went with a Heavy Hitch and suitcase weights. Plus it sticks out the rear much less that a ballast box and has the receiver hitch built in.
How much weight can you get with that set up?

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
How much weight can you get with that set up?
It holds 8 42# weights plus the weight of the hitch itself it is just about 400#. That and my loaded tires and it has been more than enough for what I do.

I realize the loaded tires aren't technically ballast but I know they help at ~250# each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts