Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While visiting our son in North Carolina last week he took us to a store called Agri Supply https://www.agrisupply.com/farm-machinery-implements/c/a10000/. WOW!!! What a store! Enormous variety of Tractor-related Attachments, among other things. I couldn’t help myself and had to buy something..... so I decided to upgrade my sprayer and o got the Fimco 3 Point 40 Gallon model and a few other things I won’t talk about in this posting. I can’t wait to put the sprayer to use.

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
While visiting our son in North Carolina last week he took us to a store called Agri Supply. WOW!!! What a store! Enormous variety of Tractor-related Attachments, among other things. I couldn’t help myself and had to buy something..... so I decided to upgrade my sprayer and o got the Fimco 3 Point 40 Gallon model and a few other things I won’t talk about in this posting. I can’t wait to put the sprayer to use.

Sincerely
I have the same sprayer bud it’s pretty good before you fill it might remove the mounting hardware for the tank and seal them real good mine leaked , and make sure you don’t put it up dirty very much the wand clogs easily - don’t ask me how I know that haha but yes good purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
I too have a Fimco and needed to put sealant on the connections when new and again this year. It’s served me for five years so far. The pump leaked (bad) when I used it for the first time this year, and a frustrated slap with the mallet fixed the problem. Not a recommended procedure, but it worked.

Looking forward to reading of your other acquisitions.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same sprayer bud it’s pretty good before you fill it might remove the mounting hardware for the tank and seal them real good mine leaked , and make sure you don’t put it up dirty very much the wand clogs easily - don’t ask me how I know that haha but yes good purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too have a Fimco and needed to put sealant on the connections when new and again this year. It’s served me for five years so far. The pump leaked (bad) when I used it for the first time this year, and a frustrated slap with the mallet fixed the problem. Not a recommended procedure, but it worked.

Looking forward to reading of your other acquisitions.
Thanks for the feedback. My plan was to fill it with water only first and perform a test run which would hopefully uncover these problems you guys described... Also, my usual MO after use is to hose off inside and out with clear water and run clear water through everything to clean out. This practice has made my previous equipment last a very long time and remain trouble-free..... Thanks again for your feedback!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Great minds think alike. Last weekend I was at farm and fleet and picked up the same unit. looking forward to using it this weekend :good2:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love agri-supply. Even though I live in northern Michigan and am about as far away from a store as one can get I shop through them all the time. Their selection on cultivator sweeps and other ag related equipment is unmatched in my opinion.

The other store that has really selection of stuff is Rural King whom I also order stuff through occasionally especially if I am looking for a particular herbicide. I could get glyphosate (ie. Roundup) through them cheaper even with shipping figured than I could get it through TSC. I will admit though most of my $$ end up getting spent at TSC though because it's local.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just finished using my 2 year old sprayer today, so I had a chance for pictures before I put it away.

After catching the ends of the boom too many times on trees and fences, I now use a couple of pieces of PVC pipe zip tied to the grille guard as"whiskers."
They remind me how wide the boom extends in back of me.

IMG-0819.jpg
IMG-0821.jpg

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same sprayer in its second year of use now and all the little mounting bosses built into the tank have busted and it leaks like a strainer when I am spraying. Its not bad using fert or bug spray but I killed the edges and ditches last week and you can follow my every track around the yard. Disappointed with it. I also ran a harness from tractor battery and put a on/off switch at the helm for controlling the sprayer.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have the same sprayer in its second year of use now and all the little mounting bosses built into the tank have busted and it leaks like a strainer when I am spraying. Its not bad using fert or bug spray but I killed the edges and ditches last week and you can follow my every track around the yard. Disappointed with it. I also ran a harness from tractor battery and put a on/off switch at the helm for controlling the sprayer.
This is sadly a common issue with these sprayers. The way I have defeated the same situation is by NOT using the bolts into the bottom of the tank. I secured the two tank straps only and my tank has been leak free since day one. I realize this doesn't help you now that your tank is already leaking but hopefully it will help someone in the future if this thread is read

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Can this type of plastic be bonded/repaired with the right kind of heat glue gun?

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.
It should be able to be plastic welded. However, plastic welding is something that requires some practice. The good news is there are tons of plastic things around which can be used to practice upon. Depending upon the plastic and it's density, it's more of a layering in some cases and a true welding in others. Also, make it a point to save pieces of plastic when you are throwing away broken plastic things in the future and keep them in a small portable tool box, as these pieces are like "tire patches" and make plastic welding easier and more successful than trying to remedy the need with the small filler rods which come in the plastic welding kits.

I bought the plastic welding kit at Harbor Freight and I have small hand held torches in addition to the kit and it's helpful to keep pieces of "filler material" from plastic things which you might be throwing away. in some cases, the old pieces of plastic become "donor" plastic and it's easier to secure them as a "patch" that it is to try and soften the material and repair them. Even plastic from milk bottles can be helpful plus plastic milk bottles are good to practice upon. Make sure to save some of the "jug sidewall" but also the entire handles from a few jugs as the handles make great filler material because of their size and shape.

It reminded me of when I learned to braze stuff many, many years ago........slow ans steady and getting the flame right is the key......Much of the plastic will shrink away when you try and fill a hole, which is why the material pieces make it so much easier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have this sprayer and most of the time it does work great. However, in a little less than a year I have gone through 2 pumps. I am using 2 4D and clean it out when finished with water. The company is great about it though. I called them yesterday and before I even asked they said they would send me two new pumps. Can 't ask for more than that.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I also have this sprayer and most of the time it does work great. However, in a little less than a year I have gone through 2 pumps. I am using 2 4D and clean it out when finished with water. The company is great about it though. I called them yesterday and before I even asked they said they would send me two new pumps. Can 't ask for more than that.
Your post reads very similar to others I have spoke with personally or read reviews from regarding Fimco. The sprayer itself is a cheap setup resulting in many folks dealing with leaking tanks, pump failure, or cracked/leaking manifolds however Fimco replaced these parts quickly and rather easily for the majority.

Based on reviews and speaking with others who own the same sprayer I have expected my pump to fail but it has yet to do so. I do have issues with the pump loosing prime but this most often occurs when the tank is around a 1/4 full. I first believed this to be a pump issue but now believe it's because of liquid sloshing around and the pickup for the pump isn't all that great. Usually the sprayer will quit spraying yet a gallon or two of liquid remains in the tank. Kinda stinks having to drain the contents that the pump will not pick up from the Fimco into my backpack sprayer to prevent chemical waste but in general considering the price of the Fimco, it performs how I expected for the money.

I purchased my Fimco knowing the chances of having issues was more likely than not however I have yet to have an issue with it. I purchased with the intentions of not using the bolts to secure the tank hoping that would prevent tank failure and so far, my tank has never leaked. At purchase I also planned for replacing the pump and manifold with something of better quality when the factory parts failed. Although I have not had to replace these parts yet, I still believe I'm using the sprayer on borrowed time and at some point they will. When the times comes that I do have to replace the pump and manifold I still believe I will end up with a decent sprayer for a drastic savings verses purchasing anything else I looked at. I believe with the use of coupon I purchased the Fimco for around $300 and considering spending that little of money for a 3 point sprayer, you almost have to expect the likelihood of replacing some cheap parts to "upgrade" the setup to something a bit more durable.

Before purchasing the Fimco I priced out individual parts to see if I could build a better sprayer for the same money as the Fimco. Based on everything I found locally, I couldn't do it. The tank alone was 1/2 the price of the Fimco and I still had a long ways to go in making a functional 3 point sprayer. I believe as long as Fimco supplies replacement parts to customers easily or customers purchase the Fimco knowing they may have to upgrade the pump and/or manifold, it's worth the money. It's certainly not a sprayer I would want to farm with but for lawn use, spot spraying, and light use in pastures or wildlife food plots, it does the job and sure beats opening your wallet to spend $1000+ on other sprayers. The 3 point sprayer without doubt beats walking all over your property with a pump up sprayer on your back or shoulder.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is sadly a common issue with these sprayers. The way I have defeated the same situation is by NOT using the bolts into the bottom of the tank. I secured the two tank straps only and my tank has been leak free since day one. I realize this doesn't help you now that your tank is already leaking but hopefully it will help someone in the future if this thread is read
Looking at my sprayer, I can see how that would happen..... I am going to remove the four bolts that attach the tank to the frame from the bottom and see how it works with the straps only. I certainly don't want to risk cracking the tank at the mounting bosses and having it leak all over the place..... That would suck totally.... Thanks for the heads-up on this one! This is exactly what the forums are for...!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While visiting our son in North Carolina last week he took us to a store called Agri Supply https://www.agrisupply.com/farm-machinery-implements/c/a10000/. WOW!!! What a store! Enormous variety of Tractor-related Attachments, among other things. I couldn’t help myself and had to buy something..... so I decided to upgrade my sprayer and o got the Fimco 3 Point 40 Gallon model and a few other things I won’t talk about in this posting. I can’t wait to put the sprayer to use.

Sincerely
I used the Fimco sprayer for the first time this past weekend and I must say that it worked like a champ! I am very happy with its performance. I did not remove the four mounting bolts for its first use and I drove very slowly and did not hit any big bumps that would rattle the tractor/sprayer and cause cracking to occur. My plan is to remove the four mounting bolts before its next use. Everything about it was positive..... I did purchase an extension harness for the 12v power supply so that I could have the ON/OFF switch at my fingertips as I traversed the property spraying.... it worked out well. Very happy with the purchase..... If anyone wants any details on the setup, just let me know....I will be happy to provide....

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looking at my sprayer, I can see how that would happen..... I am going to remove the four bolts that attach the tank to the frame from the bottom and see how it works with the straps only. I certainly don't want to risk cracking the tank at the mounting bosses and having it leak all over the place..... That would suck totally.... Thanks for the heads-up on this one! This is exactly what the forums are for...!

Sincerely
Your welcome! If you decide not to remove the bolts fully I would suggest loosening them quiet a bit. The plastic on the tank is rather thin and I believe the majority of tank failures are a result of the bolts being over torqued. The one thing I wished I had done when assembling the tank was to use some sort of rubber (piece of inner tube would work great) between the tank and 3 point tank frame/carrier. It may not have made any difference but I do have concerns with how I use the sprayer that gunk could build up under the tank and basically over time rubs a hole through the plastic tank. It also would have helped prevent the tank from shifting around on the metal frame if the tank straps by chance become slightly loose and goes unnoticed. I have used my sprayer heavily this year spraying for ticks over the entire property bouncing it through woods/fields and the sprayer has held up well, I'm still very pleased with the purchase. Prior to how I have used it this past spring I mostly used the sprayer for spot spraying and driving along fence rows spraying with the gun only, the sprayer worked flawlessly for those tasks. This past spring however I have done the majority of my spraying with the booms and they too have worked great. I was almost certain the pump would give out requiring replacement due to the amount of spraying I was doing with it but it's still getting the job done. As of now my only disappointment with the sprayer is the fact that it will not pump out the majority of the tank contents, I wished it had a better pump pickup. Every time I'm finished with the sprayer I have to drain out a gallon or two of liquid and although this isn't a big deal, it is something I believe could be better designed for little to no extra money for the manufacture to prevent it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The purpose of the bolt that goes into the bottom of the tank is to prevent horizontal movement, rather than to hold the tank on to the frame. I don't have that unit, but if I did, I would not use the bolts. If I found that the tank wanted to move sideways on the frame, then I would find some other way to anchor it.

I decided to got with a pto driven unit, otherwise I would have bought the Fimco. I think that Fimco gets a bad rap on this sprayer that could easily be remedied.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts