Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 40 gallon sprayer that has the 2.4 gallon pump…. Was using it to spray some lily pads in my pond/lake.
Water Plant Plant community Sky Fluvial landforms of streams

It did great where I could reach with the sprayer…. But needs more distance.

so I bought the upgraded 4.5 gallon pump and 2 - 50’ sections of hose to extend the reach. Easy hookup; went to spray again…. Same distance out of the wand. Figured the extra hose length was negating the upgraded pump; hooked the 25’ hose; same result. Pressure is higher on gauge; but net result was the same.

wondering if anyone has swapped the nozzle or the entire gun itself to get more distance. Last year I sprayed with a 2 gal pump sprayer and a canoe…. Maybe I put the whole thing in a jon boat, and do it that way?

for reference… I said screw it and waded out into the water… 3rd step I sunk down above my knee…. Nope; not doing that again.

suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,263 Posts
for reference… I said screw it and waded out into the water… 3rd step I sunk down above my knee…. Nope; not doing that again.
Glasses Purple Rectangle Violet Tie

As someone else that has a pond I had to laugh at that one. A while back I was weed eating around the bank and got too close and my foot sunk almost to my knee. I thought I was going to have to call someone for help to pull me out.

What do you spray lily pads with? We've got primrose in our pond.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
14,263 Posts
wondering if anyone has swapped the nozzle or the entire gun itself to get more distance.
You might need a larger diameter hose as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 846593

As someone else that has a pond I had to laugh at that one. A while back I was weed eating around the bank and got too close and my foot sunk almost to my knee. I thought I was going to have to call someone for help to pull me out.

What do you spray lily pads with? We've got primrose in our pond.
I used the ShoreKlear stuff before (glysophate based) and it killed them, but they came back. After doing more research, 2-4D is the overall choice for controlling them, so thats what i'm doing this time.

Ultimate plan is to lower the lake and reshape the bottom; they won't grow in much more than 4.5' of water.

I was up to my shoulder trying to retreive my croc from the muck. Wet ride home on all accounts.

·
Premium Member
14,263 Posts
After doing more research, 2-4D is the overall choice for controlling them
Kinda hesitant to use that in the pond. Ours is at the lowest point in the property and in heavy rain we get a lot of runoff that moves from the upper pond to the lower pond and then into a stream.

Ultimate plan is to lower the lake and reshape the bottom; they won't grow in much more than 4.5' of water.
That is what I've been slowly doing. Primrose likes shallow water as well.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
There is little difference in range among the Fimco handguns and wands. The standard has 33’ horizontal range and the so-called long range one has 38’ for about $70. I have the 40 gallon tank and have been looking. Shop for a long range tree spraying handgun that is compatible with your improved flow, some have ranges of 80’ or more, but the key is matching the handgun to the performance of your system.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda hesitant to use that in the pond. Ours is at the lowest point in the property and in heavy rain we get a lot of runoff that moves from the upper pond to the lower pond and then into a stream.

That is what I've been slowly doing. Primrose likes shallow water as well.
According to the research I did, it's actually safer than many of the others; especially when not spraying the entire body of water at one time.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Mine was bouncing and cycling at first, just north of 80 psi. The smaller one wouldn't maintain 60 at all, don't recall what it was though.
They are only designed to output 60 psi max. I bet as soon as you squeeze the trigger it drops rapidly into the pump capacity. Then you added extra hose and there will be alot of friction loss in the line.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are only designed to output 60 psi max. I bet as soon as you squeeze the trigger it drops rapidly into the pump capacity. Then you added extra hose and there will be alot of friction loss in the line.
No, that's what I'm saying... it was flowing enough that it was literally cycling with the 25 foot hose, while maintaining 80+ psi. The bigger pump has enough umph to maintain at the higher pressures.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may just rig up a 5 gallons sprayer setup, to make it lighter, and go water-bound in the canoe or something. I know the tank and 3pt metal frame on this thing isn't light by any means.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Speaking of 5 gallons, you could time how long to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with different hose lengths to see if hose length is a major factor for your setup.

I think you may need to look into a pump with greater pressure and a different handgun to see significant spray range increase.

Does your Fimco also have fold out sprayer booms, or just the hose and handgun setup?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speaking of 5 gallons, you could time how long to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with different hose lengths to see if hose length is a major factor for your setup.

I think you may need to look into a pump with greater pressure and a different handgun to see significant spray range increase.

Does your Fimco also have fold out sprayer booms, or just the hose and handgun setup?
Very valid point. However, i've got a 40 gallon sprayer with 25 gallon of juice in it at the moment.... so, yeah. I dunno; Envisioned a 50% longer throw with double the volume (at a higher pressure no less). I was sorely disappointed. Don't be like me. :ROFLMAO:

It's got the double fold out booms, does like 10' a pass.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I have the same sprayer. I converted mine to run on a PTO driven pump. So it can out pump all those little electric pumps. And that hand spray gun still only shoots <40ft. There's no getting more out of those little things. I put a garden hose on it and that can do way better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same sprayer. I converted mine to run on a PTO driven pump. So it can out pump all those little electric pumps. And that hand spray gun still only shoots <40ft. There's no getting more out of those little things. I put a garden hose on it and that can do way better.
That’s the reply I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up! I’ll turn my extra pump into a 5 gal spray setup and ride the waves!

·
Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
193 Posts
You have the right idea in trying to get more product further out but you need to find out how much the current gun is capable of flowing at various pressures. There’s a couple simple sites to read that may help, as you are likely finding that the pump is hitting its pressure limit while the nozzle is restricting flow. I went through this last spring when I build a bigger boom and upped my hand gun size. Turns out I found that my pickup tube from the tank to the pump was not giving me adequate flow to the boom and the hose from the pump manifold to the gun was too small, as was my nozzle.

This has a simple calculator to determine flow at certain pressures.
How to calibrate a sprayer (more for multiple nozzles).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts