Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my sprayer delivered today. Now to get ready for a quick spray on the weeds next week. It was raining the past couple days but next week will be dry and up to 65°.

I'm hoping this can assist with weed management for 2 acres. I'll have to experiment on the speed and the coverage.

Randy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just bought the same sprayer from Tractor Supply a few weeks ago, and have used it once to spray 2,4-D. It was very easy to set up, since all the boom plumbing and spray heads were already installed. although the instruction manual indicates that this is included in your part of the setup. It looks like from your box that yours has the "new, improved spray heads" which is good.

Since I wasn't used to having a boom extending beyond the tires, I did manage to catch one end of the boom on a tree. It bent the back of the frame, and one of the "L" brackets holding the boom. The breakaway function of the boom didn't quite perform as expected. I was able to re-bend the damaged pieces back to close to original shapes.

Next time out, I plan to zip tie an 8 foot section of 1/2" PVC pipe across the top of the tractor grille guard to give me a visual reference in front the width of the boom in the back.

Almost forgot - the sprayer fits on the iMatch hitch perfectly. No modifications needed.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I just bought the same sprayer from Tractor Supply a few weeks ago, and have used it once to spray 2,4-D. It was very easy to set up, since all the boom plumbing and spray heads were already installed. although the instruction manual indicates that this is included in your part of the setup. It looks like from your box that yours has the "new, improved spray heads" which is good.

Since I wasn't used to having a boom extending beyond the tires, I did manage to catch one end of the boom on a tree. It bent the back of the frame, and one of the "L" brackets holding the boom. The breakaway function of the boom didn't quite perform as expected. I was able to re-bend the damaged pieces back to close to original shapes.

Next time out, I plan to zip tie an 8 foot section of 1/2" PVC pipe across the top of the tractor grille guard to give me a visual reference in front the width of the boom in the back.

Almost forgot - the sprayer fits on the iMatch hitch perfectly. No modifications needed.
Fimco must have changed the hitch design if it fits on the Imatch. I was looking at one a year ago and was told by Fimco it wouldn’t fit. Good to know as I could use a liquid sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Question:

I was always told by the co-op and extension agents in my area to spray for weeds in the spring, and to overseed and add lime (if needed) in the fall.

Should I be spraying the weeds now?
I rarely spray in the fall, considering a frost is soon to kill off the weeds anyways it seems like a waste of spray to me?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rarely spray in the fall, considering a frost is soon to kill off the weeds anyways it seems like a waste of spray to me?
I live in a mild area, near the Columbia River. It rarely freezes very hard and our weeds shrug it off. We bought the place this August and just now have it flat to spray.

Right now we have 3" of rain over the next day, but will be dry next week. I just feel like it is my last chance to knock some big weeds on their butt.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Fimco must have changed the hitch design if it fits on the Imatch. I was looking at one a year ago and was told by Fimco it wouldn’t fit. Good to know as I could use a liquid sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a picture of the hitch side of my sprayer. All I had to do was slide the iMatch bushings over the two lift arm pins that came on the sprayer, and put a pin with bushing through the hole for the top link.

sprayer.JPG

·
Registered
913 Posts
Question:

I was always told by the co-op and extension agents in my area to spray for weeds in the spring, and to overseed and add lime (if needed) in the fall.

I only sprayed this fall around my new riding arena, not the rest of the pasture areas. The grading seemed to have stimulated the dormant weed seeds in the disturbed soil to sprout. I wanted to kill them off before I overseeded with winter ryegrass.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have this same sprayer and it fits the imatch perfectly. The issue I have is my 3 point will not lower enough to sit the sprayer onto the floor of shop or ground and be able to pull away or hook to it. I have to sit the sprayer down onto blocks to get full use of the imatch. The sprayer weighs virtually nothing so usually I just sit it onto the imatch and that's still much easier than fooling with the lift arms to get it connected to the tractor.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Question:

IMHO, fall spraying of weeds yields the best kill. The plants are sucking up nutrients like mad and some of the tougher varieties (creeping charlie) can be controlled easier with a fall application. Dandelions are easily killed in the fall and the fall kill is highly effective at controlling that wicked spring flush.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's a picture of the hitch side of my sprayer. All I had to do was slide the iMatch bushings over the two lift arm pins that came on the sprayer, and put a pin with bushing through the hole for the top link.

View attachment 473690
You may want to get the CAT1 to CAT2 Bushing and then sleeve your CAT3 onto it. You will have a lot of movement on the sprayer with jumping from a CAT1 to CAT3.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts

View attachment 473690
I see your top bushing fits very loosely on the pin. I have had similar instances and purchased inner bushings to take-up this slop... It helps keep things from rattling around back there.... I have also come up with a wire harness that allows me to comfortably switch the sprayer on and off from the operators station without having to reach way back. Let me know if you are interested in those details and I will share a posting outlining what I did.

Good Luck

Sincerely

Reactions: PJR832 and rakane

·
Registered
913 Posts
You may want to get the CAT1 to CAT2 Bushing and then sleeve your CAT3 onto it. You will have a lot of movement on the sprayer with jumping from a CAT1 to CAT3.
Actually, the appropriate cat 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 top link bushings are there in the picture. What I didn't have at the time was a top link pin, so I placed the 2 bushings on a hitch pin I had handy. I have since bought a top link pin and corrected it. Let me know if you want me to post a more recent picture and I'll take one for you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't have any bushings but decided to try out the sprayer. I finished putting it together with no problems.

Here is a photo taken while I was testing the spray pattern with water. Measured off 100' and made a couple of runs. I was going too slow at first, and using the GPS on the phone I think 1.5 mph is my sweet spot for coverage.

I had to lower the center hook on my HF quick hitch. That takes the "quick" out of that change.

I used about 18 gallons to hopefully knock down some weeds that had taken hold of the ditch where the power was run.

One thing I noted, I did not tighten the nozzle on the wand, it was missing at the end of the day.

Randy
Warren, OR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts