Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 2007 790 with a 300 loader. I needed a larger tractor, so I purchased a new 4044R. Actually, it was about a year old sitting on the dealers lot without a loader. I also purchased a 440R NSL loader with the one point connector that the dealer installed. The tractor was delivered with 7.9 engine hrs, 2.5 vehicle hours and 19% soot level. I knew nothing of the emission changes that were implemented over the last few years, so the DPF was kind of a surprise.

My first usage was to mow a 5 acre field recently taken for hay. I used a Frontier 5’ finish mower and ran the tractor at 2500 RPM. The soot level continued to climb to 52% when I was done. Continued usage around home has raised the soot level to 70% even while keeping the RPM at 1500-1800. Today, i mowed the hayfield again at 2500 RPM in the cross direction to try and make the tractor perform an active regen. The soot level climbed to 77% and then it appeared to perform a passive regen as the soot level started slowly dropping to 71%, but then climbed back to 77%. Then it again appeared to do the passive regen dropping to 72%, but then increasing again. I finished with a soot level of 74%. Engine hrs at 26.

Does anybody know at what soot level it starts an Active regen? Ive tried to research on this forum and others, but haven’t found much other than if you cancel the auto regen, you’ll eventually have to perform a parked regen.

I really like this tractor, but the DPF seems to be a black box at the moment.

Thanks.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Can't answer your ? but am most curious.

Welcome from Gaston , OR.

Where you at??

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. I’m about 12 miles east of Salem. What Deere equip do you have?

(Edit: I just saw your equipment on your signature)

I currently have a restored ‘39 model B, and an X380 and X570 mowers.
I used to have a ‘52 model M, but sold it for the 790.

Lee

·
Old Pa-pa
11,953 Posts
Question, you said it appeared to do a regen, did the regen LED indicator come on the display?

Had my first regen on the 4066r at 52 hours, lasted about 20 minutes and tractor held the RPM to 1500, you
could go up on the RPM, but it would not let you go below 1500 during regen.

When it was over, LED indicator went off, could drop the RPM to wherever I wanted, soot level was 15% if I remember
correctly, didn't look at soot level when regen started.

Presently I'm at 75 hours with soot level at 42%.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I was watching for the exhaust temp light, but it never came on. That’s why I assumed it was performing a passive regen. The exhaust smell changed and it seemed like it was warmer, but that was the only indication other than the percentage decreased slowly.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
78 to 80 is where mine has done it. It will go up over 50-60 pretty quick on mine even mowing. However when you were working it the exhaust got hotter so it did go down some on its own. I notice if I mow on a hot day it will drop a few points but it will go for quite a while between 70-78 before it decides to do one.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for answering my question. You would think Deere could say at what soot level you could expect to see an Active regen. After all, they programmed it when to perform the Active regen. They certainly tell you that if you continue to cancel a regen in progress, you’ll have to perform a parked regen. The dealer wasn’t very clear on the regen operation either.

I really like this tractor, I just needed clarification on the regen. Usually when something is 0%-100% you associate that from completely clear to 100% clogged. Obviously, the soot percentage is acceptable operating levels.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you all for answering my question. You would think Deere could say at what soot level you could expect to see an Active regen. After all, they programmed it when to perform the Active regen. They certainly tell you that if you continue to cancel a regen in progress, you’ll have to perform a parked regen. The dealer wasn’t very clear on the regen operation either.

I really like this tractor, I just needed clarification on the regen. Usually when something is 0%-100% you associate that from completely clear to 100% clogged. Obviously, the soot percentage is acceptable operating levels.

Thanks again,
One other problem is that you can not initiate a parked regen unless there has been sufficient time since the last regen. I think it must be over ~15 hrs from the last. This was a problem for me because for a while my tractor was only getting 8-11 hrs between regens. I wanted to initiate a parked regen to see if that would perform better but it wouldn’t let me.

I have since learned that the best regen (that lasts the longest before the next) is performed at FULL rpms. So, when the little light comes on and the display says speed up to 1500 rpms, I will park the tractor and open the throttle 100%. This seems to give a better regen than a regen while mowing at pto speed.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts

Thanks again,

I have over 600 hours on my 4066R and have never initiated a regen. I just never worry about it. I don't even check soot levels. I just use the tractor and let it do it's own thing regarding regens. Forget about fussing about regens. Just use the tractor and you will like it a lot better without the worrying. Deere has done a good job with emissions.

The only complaint I ever has is that it just seems to want to happen when I need for it to idle such as using HitchAssist. That has happened twice. I have learned not to let it idle. If I don't want to shut it off, I bump the RPM's up to at least 1500.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
I have over 600 hours on my 4066R and have never initiated a regen. I just never worry about it. I don't even check soot levels. I just use the tractor and let it do it's own thing regarding regens. Forget about fussing about regens. Just use the tractor and you will like it a lot better without the worrying. Deere has done a good job with emissions.

The only complaint I ever has is that it just seems to want to happen when I need for it to idle such as using HitchAssist. That has happened twice. I have learned not to let it idle. If I don't want to shut it off, I bump the RPM's up to at least 1500.

Dave
:good2:

I used to check my soot levels and wonder when it was going to need a regen.

After some time I realized the tractor knows what it is supposed to do and I don't worry about it anymore.

Every now and then I'll notice a different sound to the exhaust and sometimes a different smell and I look at the dash and sure enough, it is doing its thing and I just keep doing mine.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you all. I bought this tractor to do what I need it do do. Sometimes that’s going to be cultivating and discing, but more often than not it’s going to be a yard tractor. We use it to pick up debris piles after winter storms, spread dirt, gravel and bark dust for landscaping work around home. The salesman made an issue of making sure the tractor RPM was kept near full throttle. That’s not realistic for a lot of uses.

I’m going to use it as I need it and let it decide if and when to perform a regen.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
I’m going to use it as I need it and let it decide if and when to perform a regen.
Good plan. You bought a new tractor to not have to worry about it as did I. I enjoy it every time I use it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 3033R with 210 hours and the regen's come at or close to 50 hours, last one at 196 hours.

I use e throttle and power match almost continuously. Probably idles to much. Saves fuel...

Only 1 time was it inconvenient so I opened it wide open and it took 12 minutes.

My level goes to almost zero.

I don't even think about it. Last one I was loading logs with grapple and it wouldn't idle, looked down and light was on so just kept loading. Later it started idling and the light was out..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just have to ask if there has been any unpleasant experiances with this tier 4 equipment.

I'm @ the fence even thinking of buying one...convince me to even climb the fence part way...

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I just have to ask if there has been any unpleasant experiances with this tier 4 equipment.

I'm @ the fence even thinking of buying one...convince me to even climb the fence part way...

This is the 5th year for the Tier IV and surely there would be something in the news if problems had been found. I suspect that future problems with Tier IV will be just like any other machine that is not properly cared for. Treat it badly and you get what you deserve. Say that you have the tractor idling and the regen light comes on and a msg appears in the display stating to increase RPM's to 1500 min, but you ignore it and let it continue to idle. Pretty soon, that catches up to you and bad (expensive) things happen. Just like never changing the engine oil.

Dave

·
Old Pa-pa
11,953 Posts

The only negative I see about tier 4 is that it forces you to burn more diesel than you would normally burn.

I try to maintain at least 1500 - 1700 RPM when I really could be running/idling at 1200 RPM.

You also burn more diesel when it regens.

IMHO, the whole regen business is a batch of *feel good* crap that accomplishes little if anything for the
environment.

Other than burning more diesel, for no good reason, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The only negative I see about tier 4 is that it forces you to burn more diesel than you would normally burn.

I try to maintain at least 1500 - 1700 RPM when I really could be running/idling at 1200 RPM.

You also burn more diesel when it regens.

IMHO, the whole regen business is a batch of *feel good* crap that accomplishes little if anything for the
environment.

Other than burning more diesel, for no good reason, I don't see a problem.

Fuel & oil is cheap........I'm fearing a major cost @ whatever hours or years that would put me eating beans vs. Burgers.

Will these emission parts even exist in 20 yrs ....given that they move on to some different system?

I'm married to a Dodge I deleted...For life.......Can a JD be Deleted?

I'm looking at the sunset in my existance...whatever 59.....Its a one time buy for me..I'm no rich man.

:munch:

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I have almost 500 hours on my 4044M I bought new. Never had any problems with it I can think of. All the power controls with the Hydro Transmission are NICE my legs feel no pain. Best running tractor I have ever owned and I love it! I did not want a small tractor that can do stuff when pushed I wanted a big one like all my other tractors I have owned in the past. I think this is number 8 and the last one I will ever buy or need.

PS I hope nothing ever bad goes wrong cause JD wants a ton of money to fix anything. I am hoping I can fix anything that breaks like I have done on all my tractors before. I have never paid anyone to ever work on one of my Tractors and would like to keep it that way. I paid to have a clutch put in my 2005 Dodge and a set of brakes for it. Real stupid idea to be lazy it cost almost $1,500.00 for the brakes to be done!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts