Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the terrible squeak I was getting coming from my steering wheel. I tried the suggestions, "spray silicone", "apply white grease", etc. etc., but none of that worked. So, I removed the steering wheel, the rubber boot, and pretty much the steering wheel column or shaft is enclosed so that I couldn't do a better job of "greasing" the problem.

I contacted the dealer, and they claimed they never heard of such a problem with the 4 Series JD Tractors. Finally, I made a video of me in the cab and turning the steering wheel to demonstrate the squeak the steering wheel was making. I sent the video to my dealer, who promptly suggested they come and pick up my tractor to fix the problem before my warranty ran out.

I wish GTT supported Photobucket as I wanted to post my video, but Photobucket is not supported. I probably could have won an Emmy for the video as it really is heart wrenching and it makes you want to seek peace and solitude in our troubled world today.

But, alas, all I can do is keep you posted on what my dealer finds out on what was causing the squeak in the first place.

FredSG

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
go to you-tube and post ur video---and then post the video here at GTT-gtt supports u-tube. good luck

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
That's bad.

Dave

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Eek

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
It sounds bad, but if you can live with it till you get old and lose your high frequency hearing, maybe that would be the easy fix.:D
If not, looks like some disassembly to even get a look at it. That is great that it is still under warranty. I don’t think the dealer will argue that it needs to be fixed:oops:

Reactions: PlumberHome

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello,

Thought I'd post an update. My dealer had my 4052R for 5 days ands returned it. According to the service manager and my primary contact at the dealership. The squeak was fixed. Have all the Emails from me to them, and them to me.

Anyway received the 4052R and drove it on the road leading to my home, and the squeak was still there, but not as loud as before. So I made more videos of the squeaking steering wheel over a four day period. I let the dealership know the squeak was not fixed or eliminated. So they took my 4052R back to the dealership and it will be two week this Friday that they have had it without working on it!

Initially, the steering wheel squeak repair was covered under warranty. But the repair did not stop the squeaking. My warranty has since expired. Will repairs for the same squeak still be covered under warranty . . . since the first repair (while under warranty) did not fix the problem?

FredSG

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow, that squeak is extremely worse than mine ever was, and it has since gone away on it's own. I would hope Deere would cover the repair since it was not resolved and you had brought it up as a concern before the warranty ended. Good luck.

Rick

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,625 Posts
I feel because it was repaired(really, NOT repaired) under warranty, they should re-repair it at no charge.

Even if the warranty is out, the dealer service department normally has a 30 - 90 day warranty on shop work and should take care of it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel because it was repaired(really, NOT repaired) under warranty, they should re-repair it at no charge.

Even if the warranty is out, the dealer service department normally has a 30 - 90 day warranty on shop work and should take care of it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello,

Well, I hope this is my final update on my steering wheel squeak! My 4052R was returned to me today, and so far, after just a short ride, the squeak is gone. According to the dealership service manager the following work was done and it was covered by warranty:

"We disassembled the steering column and then we contacted Deere technical support and they advised us to change the bracket the steering shaft goes through and also install bearings in place of the original bushings."

So if any of you have a steering wheel squeak and the white grease and WD-40 hasn't eliminated the squeak, it may be a part that is deep within the steering column that has to be replaced.

Thanks to all who replied to my thread.

FredSG

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Congrats on finding the problem and for reporting back your results.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
300 Posts
"We disassembled the steering column and then we contacted Deere technical support and they advised us to change the bracket the steering shaft goes through and also install bearings in place of the original bushings."

FredSG
This is pretty interesting. The parts list shows 4 bushings in the steering column, and no optional parts (like bracket or bearings), so I am left wondering what they installed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sounds like Deere knew of this problem and developed a bearing retro fit in place of bushings.

Did they provide you with a copy of the work order and an itemized list of part numbers used? That might help others in the future if they had numbers for the upgraded parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts