Green Tractor Talk banner

Finally a John Deere owner

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  tibadoe 
#1 ·
Hello,

Hello from central Indiana. I was recently able to purchase a 40 acre tract in Brown County, and a JD 2020 to go along with it. This is my first tractor, so I’ve been having tons of fun and learning a lot. As an example, how to switch out a fuel pump when I thought I simply ran out of gas!

With that said, I need advice please. I’ve had a C317J in my shed for some time that won’t run. The engine is seized up. How can I learned what engines fit this unit, and is there such thing as a good deal on one? This will be a back up and for simple yard work, so I don’t want to out a fortune into it. Thanks!

#2 ·
Congrats on your new green. Welcome to GTT from central Wisconsin.

I can't help with your question but I'm sure someone will chime in with an answer for ya. Alot great & knowledgeable people on here. Good luck.

#3 ·
Welcome from Central Ohio

#6 ·
rmorris1, Welcome to GTT. (y)

This is some info for the 317:
On the 317, the original Kohler engine gave the John Deere 317 a reputation as a poor tractor. Deere offered a retro-fit kit to mount the Onan P218G engine and, later, Kohler provided an improved KT17 Series II engine.

#10 ·
rmorris1, Welcome to GTT. (y)

This is some info for the 317:
On the 317, the original Kohler engine gave the John Deere 317 a reputation as a poor tractor. Deere offered a retro-fit kit to mount the Onan P218G engine and, later, Kohler provided an improved KT17 Series II engine.
Thank you for the information. Hopefully I can find a good deal on one.

#7 ·
Welcome from Southern ky

#12 ·
Welcome from NE Pennsylvania.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.