Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Nice work Brian. Some of the same things I did you incorporated as well and you'll like them. I have to pour my aprons yet and should have done it when I built but didn't. When you pour use a good thermal break so you don't pull heat from your slab.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, they are putting in rerod today. Hope to pour the floor Monday.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looks like you will have a nice building when done Brian. After looking at your thread for your building, the one suggestion I may offer is think twice about using OSB for inside sheeting. I'm sure some areas of your building it may work fine but it also has places where it does not work so well. As I'm sure you may be aware OSB and moisture do not mix well together for very long. One thing many people don't think of, myself included, is the fact that OSB is pretty flammable.

Someone locally in my area had OSB in their shop for interior sheeting. They were 6 blocks from the fire hall. A spark caught a small fire which quickly engulfed the entire building. The OSB went up in flames before you could blink an eye. He was there when the fire started and he called 911 right away and the building was a loss by the time the fire department made it 6 blocks down the street. OSB has a lot of chemicals and glue in it compared to plywood or sheet rock. I now understand why building code in many places demands the use of sheet rock for interior sheeting because of its fire resistance. This Summer I will be replacing or covering the OSB with steel sheeting like you would use for a pole barn in one room of my garage where I work with open flames and sparks.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Looking good Brian! How many websites are you and Kenny admins of anyway?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The OSB has been in the back of my mind for a while. I am trying to find metal for the interior in the wash bay, but that too has its challenges as I might have to put OSB behind it with my spray in insulation.

My plan was to coat the OSB with a clear wood sealer. It will not last forever, but.....

Kenny and I work together on 2 forums. Here and WorkshopAddict.com

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,149 Posts
Kenny work? :lol::lol:

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
Kenny work? :lol::lol:
That comment from the one who brags about how much his wife's does? And how he is just the supervisor?

:unknown: :nunu: :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
For as smooth as this site runs, I thought that Gizmo was the GTT supervisor also. Now I find out that it is Brian and Kenny? :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,149 Posts
For as smooth as this site runs, I thought that Gizmo was the GTT supervisor also. Now I find out that it is Brian and Kenny? :laugh:
Amazing, right? Truth is I supervise them but they don't know it.:lol:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Amazing, right? Truth is I supervise them but they don't know it.:lol:
Just like your wife doesn't know that you supervise her. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,149 Posts
Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
456 Posts
The OSB has been in the back of my mind for a while. I am trying to find metal for the interior in the wash bay, but that too has its challenges as I might have to put OSB behind it with my spray in insulation.

My plan was to coat the OSB with a clear wood sealer. It will not last forever, but.....

Kenny and I work together on 2 forums. Here and WorkshopAddict.com
Brian, there is a material that will work well in a wash bay. My uncle just retired from the construction business and when he built his garage a few years back he used what looks like a plastic sheeting material that went over his sheet rock or plywood. He used it for a wash bay in his garage. This stuff is waterproof, wont rot or mold. I believe it comes in 4x8 sheets. I know he got it at a home improvement place called Menards. They are popular in the mid west. Menards is the same as a Lowes or Home Depot. I wish I could remember what it is called but I can't.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How thick was it?

I have seen some that are hollow squares of PVC that are tongue and grove, but not flat panels.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
How thick was it?

I have seen some that are hollow squares of PVC that are tongue and grove, but not flat panels.
FRP panel

Sent from my tapatalk device. Fat fingered typing (misspellings) probable..

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Yea but thought you were doing this right? And its only money. You are loaded :)

FRP doesn't rust or dent. You buy the pieces to seam it in the corners and in between sheets. Look at all the work you would have to go through to seal steel between sheets.

·
Registered
456 Posts
How thick was it?

These are flat and glossy white sheets. As I said they are some sort of plastic like material. It was 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Next time I stop at Menards I will see if I can find there again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
WOW, $25 per board......... Metal would be much cheaper than that.
$25 is in the ball park. I do remember it is pricey. But you will never have to screw with it again. If you use wood or metal it will require varnish or painting. Wood will eventually rot and metal may eventually rust. With that said, I know we all have budgets to work with. and it's a tough decision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts