Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This planter been setting for years in my pole barn along with the materials. Hopefully it drops seed as intended the plate is alittle worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
These older better style planters really work good. Some tips to keep in mind when using it the first few times. Be sure to always listen for the "click" from the planter as it drops the seed. The other tip I have is when you back up make sure the tail wheel is off the ground. Mine has a tendency throw the chain on it if I accidentally back up have the tail still on the ground running the drive chain off the sprocket.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These older better style planters really work good. Some tips to keep in mind when using it the first few times. Be sure to always listen for the "click" from the planter as it drops the seed. The other tip I have is when you back up make sure the tail wheel is off the ground. Mine has a tendency throw the chain on it if I accidentally back up have the tail still on the ground running the drive chain off the sprocket.
Ah thanks for the tips , I’m suprised you can hear the seed drop I’ll definitely pay attention to that I’m worried about using this the first time and how effective it is I ordered a manual for it as well

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ah thanks for the tips , I’m suprised you can hear the seed drop I’ll definitely pay attention to that I’m worried about using this the first time and how effective it is I ordered a manual for it as well

The planter will a real distinct click when it drops a seed. I put a set of depth gauge plates on my seed disc also so I could get better depth control than using the three point hitch. You can usually find them occasionally on ebay. Also don't worry if the press wheel doesn't completely cover the seed over. The soil will usually compact around the seed within a day or two.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info thank you very much

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
This planter been setting for years in my pole barn along with the materials. Hopefully it drops seed as intended the plate is alittle worn.

Nice set-up!! Wish I had one of those. Dad had an older 2 row for the "B", sadly it wasn't salvageable. Gave it to a friend of the family for parts for his.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
For testing set it as shallow as possible and run it in short grass. You can run it on cardboard but the seeds go everywhere. The short grass will stop the seeds and give you a good idea of spacing. I am sure it will work out well, planters like that planted millions of acres.

Reactions: PJR832 and Knuckles

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a operators manual for it as well , should be here in a few days. I built a 27x30 greenhouse so I don’t need much garden but I do plant enough corn it’s getting to be to much by hand as the years stack on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As Herminator said do a couple dry runs before planting. Also having several different seed plates is a good idea. I usually use 24 cell plates on mine and the "B" # is dictated off the seed. Too small of an opening you will get sporadic drops and too large you will get double drops. If spacing is too far or close to your liking there is usually a couple different sprockets under the dust cover for the chain that you can swap out to adjust spacing but most likely the one that is in it is already set up for corn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That’s the plate in it what would you recommend. There seems to be a lot of plate sizes for these

·
Registered
426 Posts
I built my JD 71 two-row last year and used it. For a sweet corn planter it worked great.
See post here:
John Deere 71 Planter (Two-Row) Adoption

For a seed specific planter, they are nice, but for an all-purpose garden planter, annoying (plates, clunky large metal hopper, etc.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I can see your point luckily I only plan to use it for sweet corn. It should cut down my time a lot planting 250 ft + rows. I

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here in the far north zone 2, we barely have enough season for short season, 55 day, sweet corn for instance.. Let alone any other variety, sweet or dent...

Still, there is a surprising amount of corn grown in some places for winter fodder and other feed enhancement.. That would be my main use.. Cutting stalks and rough grinding for small livestock like meat rabbits and chickens..

I would love, love to have most any old corn planter to put in corn for feed and wildlife.. It doesn't have to be pretty or strait, just in and thrive..
If I had a planter, I would make it 3pt adapted, about 3-4" off center so I could make a row, turn around and come back right in the same tracks to double up as it were.. For a ground opener I'm thinking a 8" or so wide blade like a sod cutter about 3" deep just ahead of the planter.. For the second pass in the same row, the cutter could flip up with a rope..

This has got me to thinking... To over seed alfalfa, clover, perennial rye grass or other pasture grasses.. Mix it anywhere from 10 to 1 or 2 to 1 with something cheap like ground walnut shell pet bedding and run it through the corn planter ?? The ratio of mix depending on the size, price and such of the seed..

Again our application is fodder for small livestock and wild life.. So perfect application, germination, yield isn't too important depending on seed cost and using one planter for a kind of - -do it all- - application..

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Registered
426 Posts
@Wyobuckaroo - The small seed stuff, like clover, rye, etc, could probably better applied by simply using a spreader (even a hand crank one) and using the tractor to drag something behind it to increase the soil to seed contact. The JD 71 planter will likely plant too deep if used for corn, unless you mess with the depth gauges.

When planting with a planter, it's easy to get caught up. I get in a hot planting mess in the spring so I need to be careful. Remember to plant in waves so you don't get all your sweet corn within two weeks. You will thank yourself in the fall when you harvest. I plant early in May, then every two weeks until end of June.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts