Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the side panel off, PTO switch is completely enclosed. Looked at the seat and said, not getting into that. Traced it out to the back and jumped out the sensor. Easily reversible. Read the lengthy RIO posts and After tracing the loop, jumped it out on the opposite plug of the one in the pictures on that thread. Wonder if JD changed the male/female configuration and enclosed the switch. Mine is a 2016.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rio

jumped it out on the opposite plug.
I had the same issue with my 2015! Since the plugs came as a set, I just plugged both. Figured that way it would help keep water and dirt out of the 'unused' one. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took the side panel off, PTO switch is completely enclosed. Looked at the seat and said, not getting into that. Traced it out to the back and jumped out the sensor. Easily reversible. Read the lengthy RIO posts and After tracing the loop, jumped it out on the opposite plug of the one in the pictures on that thread. Wonder if JD changed the male/female configuration and enclosed the switch. Mine is a 2016.
Where in back of machine did you jumper sensor? at the reverse pedal?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I did mine under the seat with a plastic zip tie and have had no problems.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Where in back of machine did you jumper sensor? at the reverse pedal?
If you face the rear of the rig, it is next to the left tire. You will see wire looms that might or might not be tie warped. Look for a verticle sensor and you will see a plug. Simply unplug it and jump out the harness side, not the sensor side. I had a male plug on the harness side. The sensor is a normally closed series control. I Put a Simpson VOM on it and stepped on reverse pedal and it went from approx 0 ohms to infinite. Clipped the terminal screw end off spade lugs and soldered a short wire.
Chose a spade lug where the wire solder end is the right size to slide on the male pins in the harness plug. Bent the jumper in a U, dipped it in penetrox and slid on both male pins. Other than soldering it took 5 minutes. Wrapped both sensor plug and tucked it and jumper end plug in 3m electrical tape. Save your money on Amazon pre jumpered plug ends.

To reverse, I take off tape pull jumper and replug harness to sensor. Easy acces and 5 min job.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I did the zip tie trick under the seat, worked great, easily put back in use.
I believe what they mean by the "zip tie trick" is to wrap a tie wrap around the reverse switch to keep the switch plunger depressed on all the time.

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will post a pic as soon as I get a chance. It was literally unplug from the sensor, insert jumper and done.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Here are pictures of the MBR (Mid, both, rear PTO) switch at the left rear of the diff.
Jumper the wiring harness side of the connector. This will tell the tractor that the PTO is in rear only. When the PTO is in rear only, the tractor engine does not shut off when backing up.
This bypass method also bypasses the seat switch.

I also attached a picture of the connector from Amazon. If you buy this connector, you can simply jumper the two pins in the wiring harness half and use the other half to plug on the MBR valve connector end to keep the dirt out.

Pros with this RIO bypass method.....
Does not require cutting any wires
Does not require removing engine covers or floor pan
Easy to put back to OEM

Cons......
Digital PTO display indicates off the rear PTO all the time. So, when using the mid PTO, the RPM readout will show 540 RPM rather than 2000 RPM.

Attachments

Reactions: stg454

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the method I used on my 2016 1025R. However, my seat switch still works. If I do not put the tractor in Neutral, and I get off the seat, the engine shuts off.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
This is the method I used on my 2016 1025R. However, my seat switch still works. If I do not put the tractor in Neutral, and I get off the seat, the engine shuts off.
The seat switch will work in the case of not having the range shift in nuetral. The seat switch will not shut off the mid PTO with this bypass installed.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I did mine a bit differently. I focused on the reverse switch itself. The reverse switch has a normally closed (NC) set of contacts and a normally open (NO). They are both wired to the processor in the instrument cluster. So if you simply unplug the reverse switch, it will see both halves of the switch as being open, which is normally an impossibility. This will generate an error code, or at least the technical manual indicated as much, and I'm guessing it would also inhibit PTO operation (to satisfy the lawyers and protect JD against lawsuits, such as McDonald's experienced from the spill in the lap hot coffee.)

I desired to have all the other safety features and indicators to function normally. So while I was prepping the wiring for the cab, diverter, and rear sprayer; I opened up the harness where it "tees" to the power distribution center. I located and identified the blue, yellow, and red wires coming from the reverse switch. I cut the blue wire and opened the path. I soldered additional lengths of blue wire to each of the cuts, to extend it into the power distribution area of the console enclosure. I spliced into, not cut, the red and yellow wires, extending them into the power distribution area with the blue wires.

I installed a 4-circuit Molex connector on the end of the two blue wires, the red and the yellow. I then fabricated two jumper plugs to mate with the 4-circuit Molex connector. The jumper that connects the red and yellow wires together mimics the switch in the forward/neutral position, as the blue wire circuit is open. Essentially, the processor always sense the tractor is neutral or forward and never sees a reverse indication. Removing the jumper plug with the red wire and installing the jumper plug with the blue wire returns RIO operation to normal.

While as a standalone modification, this is a lot of work. However, I had most of this apart for the other electrical work, so it was a simple mod. It is merely a manner of removing the right side panel, to access the area of the power distribution center to swap the plugs to change operation from non-RIO to RIO or visa-versa..

Attachments

Reactions: stg454 and Firemark

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The seat switch will work in the case of not having the range shift in nuetral. The seat switch will not shut off the mid PTO with this bypass installed.
I thought about the seat switch because my neck is screwed up. A lot of times when I turn to check implement when operating, I have to turn a bit off the seat. Many times tractor shuts down. I always drop my loader and 3pt implement and throw it in nuetral when I jump off to size up the job. I'm just Leary about the one time something happens and I jump off and its in gear. So far I've decided to leave it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts