Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tiling off and on since the Spring of 2017 on the kitchen, dining area, pantry and mud room, and I'm so near the end I can taste it. Sadly, I didn't figure out until near the end what a great tool an angle grinder is. I bought the 20V DeWalt model because I needed to cut the hole in the middle of a tile for the toilet flange you see in the picture below. That hole took me five minutes in my first use of the tool. What a fool I've been. Oh well. All I have left to do is tile that half bath and it will all be done - this coming weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Looking good.
You can cut a round hole with an angle grinder.
Be sure to fill the gap around the toilet flange with grout. If the toilet seal ever leaks, it will help stop water from getting to the sub floor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice work... but i really like the fact that you used "John Deere Green" spacers.... :laugh: So you know it's a quality job... :hi:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Good looking work. Takes allot of patience and perseverance but the results are very fulfilling.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
How is that different from a drill?
That tool is more like a router. You can drill a starter hole with it, then you cut side ways with the side of the bit. I do not believe it would work with hard floor tile. The bits would burn up very quickly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
That tool is more like a router. You can drill a starter hole with it, then you cut side ways with the side of the bit. I do not believe it would work with hard floor tile. The bits would burn up very quickly.
Using a tile bit I've used these tools to cut holes in bathroom wall tiles (tiles already on the wall).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixing tile

There are some tiles in the kitchen area (the dark wood look) that are going to have to be replaced due to lippage. I tried to drill through them with bits supposedly designed for that purpose, and they didn't work. I doubt that that DeWalt would either. It was easy to drill through the common smaller tiles like you see on a bathroom wall, but those floor tiles were impossible. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull up the single tiles that need work.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Using a tile bit I've used these tools to cut holes in bathroom wall tiles (tiles already on the wall).

Keith, I agree it will cut regular wall tile that has a hard glaze surface & softer backing. Floor tile is very hard all of the way through. For the last few years, the fad is to use floor tile on walls. I burnt up many 3/16 & 1/4 masonry bits, over those years, drilling holes for mounting grab bars. That was until companies came out with 3/16 & 1/4 diamond hole saws for that purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QMSZIO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great job, Drynoc! Those ceramic tiles can be a real pita. Glad you discovered a better way to work with them. Did you use a wet saw or manual cutter on the straight cuts?

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
There are some tiles in the kitchen area (the dark wood look) that are going to have to be replaced due to lippage. I tried to drill through them with bits supposedly designed for that purpose, and they didn't work. I doubt that that DeWalt would either. It was easy to drill through the common smaller tiles like you see on a bathroom wall, but those floor tiles were impossible. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull up the single tiles that need work.
The diamond hole saws will drill through the hard tile. They do not have a center point, so you have to come up with a way to hold the bit in place until it starts cutting. I have seen people drill a hole in a piece of wood to act as a starter guide. That process takes someone to hold the guide in place while someone else drills the hole. I work by myself, so that does not work for me.

Instead, I use a center punch to chip through the glazing, then use a masonry bit to just deep enough of a hole to keep the diamond bit from walking.
You also need to have a cup of water to cool the bit. I just dip the bits in the water when it looks like they are starting to get hot.

The last job I did using masonry bits, I went through 11 masonry bits to drill 18 - 3/16" holes & spent over 2 1/2 hours drilling.
On the last shower I did using the diamond bits. I drilled 31 - 3/16 holes, used 1 masonry bit, 1 diamond bit & drilled them in less than 1 hour. Both the masonry bit & diamond bit are still usable for the next job.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I've been tiling off and on since the Spring of 2017 on the kitchen, dining area, pantry and mud room, and I'm so near the end I can taste it. Sadly, I didn't figure out until near the end what a great tool an angle grinder is. I bought the 20V DeWalt model because I needed to cut the hole in the middle of a tile for the toilet flange you see in the picture below. That hole took me five minutes in my first use of the tool. What a fool I've been. Oh well. All I have left to do is tile that half bath and it will all be done - this coming weekend.
Congratulations

I re-did two Bathrooms In winter 2012/2013 Both 5X7 at My old House and 1 in 2012 was In green Mable. $500 a Bucket for the adhesive for the Green Marble(you need a special Kind only for Green Marble) required 3 Buckets for a 5X7 Bathroom floor and a 3X10 entrance way floor for the Lower Level of our Bi-Level

in 2016 I re did the 3rd Bathroom at the Old House

Then In Late 2016 at out New House I Built a Bathroom from Scratch In the Basement. Re-did 1 of the of the existing 4 Bathrooms that were already in the House and I tiled a further 18X20 6 sided room which is My office Now(that was real Fun :cookoo:)

I have come to the Fact anymore tilling work I am Hiring My Friend who does it for a Living:bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Keith, I agree it will cut regular wall tile that has a hard glaze surface & softer backing. Floor tile is very hard all of the way through. For the last few years, the fad is to use floor tile on walls. I burnt up many 3/16 & 1/4 masonry bits, over those years, drilling holes for mounting grab bars. That was until companies came out with 3/16 & 1/4 diamond hole saws for that purpose.
Thanks Chris. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wet saw

Great job, Drynoc! Those ceramic tiles can be a real pita. Glad you discovered a better way to work with them. Did you use a wet saw or manual cutter on the straight cuts?
For most of my tiling life I used a MK Diamond 4" wet saw ($70 or so at HD) and it worked well enough. For this enormous job I bought the HF 10" wet saw and it has also worked well enough. I use them both depending on what I am doing, but I have learned that the angle grinder will also be useful, particularly in pulling up the tiles that need to be replaced.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's tile

Looks great . What material is the dark looking wood?
Porcelain wood look tile. It looks nice, but it chips and breaks easily when you don't want it to, and is hard to drill through when you do want to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Porcelain wood look tile. It looks nice, but it chips and breaks easily when you don't want it to, and is hard to drill through when you do want to.
Moving the laundry up from the basement. Thinking about using vinyl tiles for the floor. I thought maybe that's what you had there.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts