Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was thinking 425-445, and since I was considering 300 series, didn't sound too much bigger, but I'm fairly new to this, so is that where the spit is size wise? Between 300 and then 400 = same as x7?
The 400,420,430 /425,445,455 / X4 and X7 series are considerably larger than a 300 series like a 318.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Was thinking 425-445, and since I was considering 300 series, didn't sound too much bigger, but I'm fairly new to this, so is that where the spit is size wise? Between 300 and then 400 = same as x7?
The 425-445 platform (about 30-40years old) became the x5x5 platform (about 20-30 years old). The x5x5 platform turned into the x7 platform about 15 years old to current.

They are all roughly the same class of garden tractor. Things have changed thru the years but all are very capable and extremely durable machines.

Reactions: GreenDream

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Great site, but I wish they listed frame size or weight. As I look more into it, 1000lbs starts to seem much bigger than anything I would need. 700ish, seems to be the comfortable middle ground.

Very early though, I have lots of time to think things through and very appreciative of all of you giving me info/ advise.

Been looking for a few years and have done random searches every time I was interested in a JD at auction, but feel that in just the few days I've been a member, eyes seems 75+% more open now.

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great site, but I wish they listed frame size or weight. As I look more into it, 1000lbs starts to seem much bigger than anything I would need. 700ish, seems to be the comfortable middle ground.

Very early though, I have lots of time to think things through and very appreciative of all of you giving me info/ advise.

Been looking for a few years and have done random searches every time I was interested in a JD at auction, but feel that in just the few days I've been a member, eyes seems 75+% more open now.

Thanks Everyone!
Your yard isn't going to notice the difference between 700 and 1000 lbs. The 1000lbs class machines have bigger wider tires to reduce ground pressure.

What you will notice is just a massive amount of power difference between the two. A k91 has roughly 50% more torque to the rear axle than a k72.

Also if you want to move big heavy things remember getting them moving is one thing. Getting those things to stop moving in a controlled manner is a totally different thing. You will greatly appreciate the extra weight of the machine if you are towing things around the yard.

All the machines you are considering are withing 2-4 inches of being the exact same length and width. Some look and feel bigger but they are the same footprint.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
The 425-445 platform (about 30-40years old) became the x5x5 platform (about 20-30 years old). The x5x5 platform turned into the x7 platform about 15 years old to current.

They are all roughly the same class of garden tractor. Things have changed thru the years but all are very capable and extremely durable machines.
You make the x5x5 platform a Little Old, It is only 20 years old as of this January 2022 Became the X7 Ultimate Platform 16 Years ago and the X7 Signature 9 years ago (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Reading through the different models, couldn't help but notice the 25hp B&S series that came with K46 transaxle.

So do these models suffer common failures to the K46 unit?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
E170 in 2020. If K46 is truly that bad, seems crazy they would put 25hp in front of it, just asking for trouble, no?
If You have a very steep Hilly Property you could be Looking for Trouble over the Long Haul, But if it's flat to rolling hills you should be just fine.

BTW, The K46 issue That are represented on these type of tractor forums is a drop in the bucket compared to how many K46 are on the Market worldwide. Keep In Mind, Tuff-Torq makes 56 different variants of the K46 worldwide & sold to Many Manufacturers. If it was as Bad as these type of forums represent. Deere would Have stopped using it 20 plus years ago. Most use these tractor with a K46 for mowing and seem to be pretty happy with it. Some of the issues seen with the K46 are for people using a tractor with a K46 beyond it's limits Using E170 with a K46 to pull out Bushes or Plow that acre Garden . The K46 is usually fine for Mowing that acre or Under Lot and Plowing or Blowing snow On the Average flat to rolling 100 ft x 20 ft drive way (y)

·
Registered
260 Posts
seems crazy they would put 25hp in front of it, just asking for trouble, no?
It doesn't matter how many horses the engine has. The transaxle can only put a few HP load on it. Now, if that 25HP engine weighs several hundred pounds, it will make the whole tractor heavier and that will make the transaxle's job harder, but so would a cart full of dirt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The K46 if used lightly has a life expectancy of 500 hours. They could last 1000 hours if you baby it, service it regularly and have a little luck on your side. A good hydrostat transmission will last 5000+ hours but the only downside is they cost more.

I personally think its crazy people will spend 3k or 4k on a lawn tractor and think they got their moneys worth when it turns into scrap metal at 500 hours. Yet these same people will scoff at the 8k price tag of a X590 for example that will last 2500 hours. The liquid cooled machines will last twice that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think I'm getting a feel for this;

Kind of like a cheap torque converter, the K46 has lots of slip because low pressure inefficient design. As you move up the ladder, like a more expensive torque converter, made to handle higher pressure without slipping, thus transferring a greater amount of power to the wheels.

Overworking the K46 - driving Through it, like driving through a torque converter you eventually burn it up. Get the correct converter that can handle the power and your GtG.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I personally think its crazy people will spend 3k or 4k on a lawn tractor and think they got their moneys worth when it turns into scrap metal at 500 hours.
That would be 15 to 20 years for me. My 2007 X300 has about 350 hours and the transaxle is still fine. It might be loosing some power, but I can't really tell. Its hood broke a few years ago and that is many hundreds for a new one. So, yeah I think I got my money's worth out of it. A couple of years ago, I bought a 2006 X534 for about $1K more than I paid for my X300 new. It will have to last me at least 15 more years for it to match the cost/year of my X300. That is why it took me a decade to convince myself I really was willing to pay that much for a mower. The higher end models certainly can be much nicer, but they definitely cost a lot more, even buying used.

Not everyone can afford to buy, nor has a property that would benefit from such a good machine. But, I guess a lot of people who really need a more capable machine sometimes don't know or aren't willing to spend or don't have the money to buy one. That is the real shame.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello All,

After many years with many different brands of riding mowers, the time has finally come to own my first JD Green Machine : )

Been nursing an older Craftsman unit for many years now, while being on the lookout for anything from 318's to X350's. (even some LT/GT and basically anything in the line with HP lol)....
Congrats on your first JD machine. I remember when I first started looking for a new GT that would fit the bill. My 20+ year old Toro Wheelhorse has done a great job mowing and hauling - but I wanted to see what advances in technology and comfort has occurred over the years. Needed a great finish mower & wagon hauler so any would really do the job. But I also knew that down the road I my want the capability to push a blade, snow blow, or any other attachment that would come in handy.

Started out looking at the x300, then the x500, and finally the x700 series. At the end of the day and many weeks of research - I went for the x750. A little over kill for my 3 acres but I will never need another GT. I think the main decision maker for me was the 2 acre of woods and my trail upkeep. The x750 complements my SCUT and either can handle any project that comes its way. Plus the diesel is the icing on the cake. The ride the fantastic. I had no idea how comfortable it could be riding around the property knocking out odds & ends projects.

Your D100 "green machine" will handle your mowing and light hauling needs no problem. Take care of it and enjoy. Post a pic so we can check out your new D100!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Congrats on your first JD machine. I remember when I first started looking for a new GT that would fit the bill. My 20+ year old Toro Wheelhorse has done a great job mowing and hauling - but I wanted to see what advances in technology and comfort has occurred over the years. Needed a great finish mower & wagon hauler so any would really do the job. But I also knew that down the road I my want the capability to push a blade, snow blow, or any other attachment that would come in handy.

Started out looking at the x300, then the x500, and finally the x700 series. At the end of the day and many weeks of research - I went for the x750. A little over kill for my 3 acres but I will never need another GT. I think the main decision maker for me was the 2 acre of woods and my trail upkeep. The x750 complements my SCUT and can handle any project that comes its way. Plus the diesel is the icing on the cake. The ride the fantastic. I had no idea how comfortable it could be riding around the property knocking out my projects.

Your D100 "green machine" will handle your mowing and light hauling needs no problem. Take care of it and enjoy. Post a pic so we can check out your new D100!!
Thank you! Really the best part of getting the D100 was joining this forum and moving so far forward in my search for Real JD I've been looking for.

Been reading through all the different models through the years via the great link that Frogmore provided and very interesting to not some of the changes that went on.

Looking at some of the newer gen offerings, I was surprised that I had to get into an x500 before even a K71-71 transaxle, but then i found the GX345 some years earlier. Is this the lightest model to ever come with a K71?

Thought a 6-700lb unit was all I would need, but now that the D100 in buying me time, just going to keep letting info flood through till something sticks.

So far it's between the 300-x500 series if that narrows it down at all lol

I don't want another "project" or something to restore, so definitely newer model. Plus I want something that rides comfortably. Just hoping on the D100 it is the most comfortable rider i have ever driven. Can't imagine going backwards, even if the older series are built "Better".

The D100 has 18" turn radius I believe, so going to see how that feels and hoping to find something large enough, yet nibble enough that I don't have to go 4WS.

How ids the 4WD on these models? Any issues on any to avoid? Don't think I need 4WD and don't like some of the things I read about the feel of them on tight corners, but still open to suggestions at this point.

·
Registered
252 Posts
.........How ids the 4WD on these models? Any issues on any to avoid? Don't think I need 4WD and don't like some of the things I read about the feel of them on tight corners, but still open to suggestions at this point.
My x750 does not have 4WD. Did not want to go that route since my SCUT has 4WD. I'm sure someone who has 4WD on a GT will step in and comment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That would be 15 to 20 years for me. My 2007 X300 has about 350 hours and the transaxle is still fine. It might be loosing some power, but I can't really tell. Its hood broke a few years ago and that is many hundreds for a new one. So, yeah I think I got my money's worth out of it. A couple of years ago, I bought a 2006 X534 for about $1K more than I paid for my X300 new. It will have to last me at least 15 more years for it to match the cost/year of my X300. That is why it took me a decade to convince myself I really was willing to pay that much for a mower. The higher end models certainly can be much nicer, but they definitely cost a lot more, even buying used.

Not everyone can afford to buy, nor has a property that would benefit from such a good machine. But, I guess a lot of people who really need a more capable machine sometimes don't know or aren't willing to spend or don't have the money to buy one. That is the real shame.
Thanks for posting this. I agree 100%
My $2700.00 E180 has over 74 hours on it now, on it's 3rd season in service and is running well. Yes even with the supposed junk k46. I use it for mowing only and it does a good job of it.

While some may not understand spending 2700 for an e180, it works for me. I put my money into a 3025D for doing real work. I feel the build quality of my e180 is good compared to other models in this price range.

At the end of this mowing and leaf season I'll probably have 110 hrs on it. By the 9 yr mark that will be 330 or so, give or take.

Personally, I'd rather spend 3k and get a new tractor every 10 yrs, then spend over double the cost (to get a comparable x series with a 54" deck like mine, with the better transmission) and have it last 20 yrs, hopefully.

With how I maintain my equipment, it will still look like new and if it's still running well, at the 10yr mark I'll sell it and put that into a new one. Being a JD and in good condition, someone will buy it.

Again, that's just me, to each their own. If I could only own one tractor that had to do everything, I'd probably buy an x758 or a 1 series.

Just my perspective. There's no right or wrong here, it's all in what you prefer and what your own personal needs are.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thank you! Really the best part of getting the D100 was joining this forum and moving so far forward in my search for Real JD I've been looking for.

Been reading through all the different models through the years via the great link that Frogmore provided and very interesting to not some of the changes that went on.

Looking at some of the newer gen offerings, I was surprised that I had to get into an x500 before even a K71-71 transaxle, but then i found the GX345 some years earlier. Is this the lightest model to ever come with a K71?

Thought a 6-700lb unit was all I would need, but now that the D100 in buying me time, just going to keep letting info flood through till something sticks.

So far it's between the 300-x500 series if that narrows it down at all lol

I don't want another "project" or something to restore, so definitely newer model. Plus I want something that rides comfortably. Just hoping on the D100 it is the most comfortable rider i have ever driven. Can't imagine going backwards, even if the older series are built "Better".

The D100 has 18" turn radius I believe, so going to see how that feels and hoping to find something large enough, yet nibble enough that I don't have to go 4WS.

How ids the 4WD on these models? Any issues on any to avoid? Don't think I need 4WD and don't like some of the things I read about the feel of them on tight corners, but still open to suggestions at this point.
Any garden tractor with 4WD (traditional mechanical 4x4 drive with shafts and differentials) takes you out of the size class you are considering. The tractors with it are great but you will have greatly reduced turning performance with 4x4 active. The wheels will rip up grass when turning because os the locked front diff.

The modern x7s 2013 and newer (some late model 2012s) have hydraulic AWD. This is drastically different setup compared to the old 4x4 system. The front and rear axles are independently driven by hydraulic fluid. Each axle has it's own differential, the rear diff is lockable with the foot peddle. The AWD system is always active. Turning performance is not impacted and grass is not damaged by the system. Arguably the AWD system is gentler on grass than the old 2WD or 4WD tractors because the system rarely is even spins a wheel even on wet grass going up steep hills.

Either system is very robust and generally very trouble free.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts