Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should've bought these over two years ago. One reason I waited so long was the cost. The Artillian forks are $799 + $200 for shipping. Just could never justify spending that much. Then a couple months ago someone here quietly mentioned their Titan forks. I checked them out and decided that saving $500 was an attractive alternative.

The Titans are heavier, by 25 lbs. I weighed the frame at 105 lbs., compared to Artillian's which is 80lbs. The Titan's also came with a 4ft long bale spear that will come in handy for moving brush piles and it also has a hitch receiver. I assume they are made in China. I'd rather keep my money in the US but I can't justify spending double to do so.

I ordered the "36" Pallet Fork Hay Bale Spear w/ Trailer Hitch for John Deere". It was $495 with free shipping. The regular forks are about $40 less. They screwed up and sent me the 42" forks - which is okay with me, I almost ordered the 42" but wanted to keep the price under $500.

In the first photo the stabilizers are angled down because I have them just sitting in their mounting tubes.

IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Very nice they do come in handy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
forks are great don't much matter who made them long as they work! We'd probably all like to have the artillians ,I've looked at his stuff and its nice. He's gotta make a living and so do the rest of us. Don't think anyone will take it personal that you got another brand long as it works for you. Love my forks, built em myself,was the first and best thing I've done for the tractor. you'll love having them and use em more than the bucket most likley.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the same, got the 42" pallet fork

Should've bought these over two years ago. One reason I waited so long was the cost. The Artillian forks are $799 + $200 for shipping. Just could never justify spending that much. Then a couple months ago someone here quietly mentioned their Titan forks. I checked them out and decided that saving $500 was an attractive alternative.

The Titans are heavier, by 25 lbs. I weighed the frame at 105 lbs., compared to Artillian's which is 80lbs. The Titan's also came with a 4ft long bale spear that will come in handy for moving brush piles and it also has a hitch receiver. I assume they are made in China. I'd rather keep my money in the US but I can't justify spending double to do so.

I ordered the "36" Pallet Fork Hay Bale Spear w/ Trailer Hitch for John Deere". It was $495 with free shipping. The regular forks are about $40 less. They screwed up and sent me the 42" forks - which is okay with me, I almost ordered the 42" but wanted to keep the price under $500.

In the first photo the stabilizers are angled down because I have them just sitting in their mounting tubes.

View attachment 176842 View attachment 176834 View attachment 176826
I did the same (without bale spear) before end of last year. 42" one was $429 on ebay (which is cheaper than anywhere). Not sure what happened but price jump a lot since.

Eventually I realized I should get this one for better support at the back of the fork John Deere Pallet Fork Frame deere loader attachment (JDFRLDNS)

Since I am going to be cheap on this one, Here is my solution for it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice! My son just bought a pair of these from the same folks. I like the hitch receiver built in. I have the artillians and really love them. I bought them for a different reason, due to the adapter to fit my snow plow. Had it not been for that I may have bought these. So each company has something to offer. I am now waiting for a wider backrest on my forks. Chris is currently making them. I use my forks much more than the bucket. Makes my life and back easier.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i got mine a couple months ago and LOVE them! they will give you years of great service.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: JeffB1

·
Registered
471 Posts
42" version on mine and I REALLY like having them around. Used them again today to move a pallet of "stuff" into the barn.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I keep seeing threads/posts about forks. Makes me want to get some too! But I am not sure what I would use them for to justify the $$.
What are some things you guys use them for, I mean other than for moving pallets around?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I keep seeing threads/posts about forks. Makes me want to get some too! But I am not sure what I would use them for to justify the $$.
What are some things you guys use them for, I mean other than for moving pallets around?
Yeah, this forum has a way of doing this to you. LOL! Let me count the ways: Move brush, Lift heavy object with or without pallet, Carry and load logs, Lift heavy logs and hold for chain sawing, better than a ladder to lift you up high, Some people use them to dig with, Move full fuel barrels around, Move hay bales. The list goes on. I am sure there will be more reply's to this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two days after I received my new forks, my wife's horse died. The horse was very old and died of natural causes. I used my new forks to lift and carry the horse from one pasture to another where my wife wanted to bury her. I was able to lift the horse over a fence and set her down on the other side without a problem. Without pallet forks we would have had to bury her in the neighbor's pasture where she had been grazing prior to her death.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i use them to stack up cut down cedar trees, move "stuff', and the other day i shoved the tips under a metal plate that was buried and lifted it right out. once you get some, you will find so many uses for them.:good2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
It'd be easier to list the things you can't do with forks. - Move dirt,water and gravel other than that forks are on.
Forks obviously for anything on a pallet,suddenly all your other implements find themselves living on a pallet.
Lift logs, tires, picnic tables, mower decks. Hang stuff for inspection,pop things out of the ground,brush,add a plow to the frame and anything else you can think of. The list goes on. I justified the tractor so...,I must confess I thought the price on forks was high. So, I built my own. Having them the past 2 years, if I broke them and found myself unable to Make another set myself the justification to buy another set would be easy at this point.I'd be havin em.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It'd be easier to list the things you can't do with forks. - Move dirt,water and gravel other than that forks are on.
Forks obviously for anything on a pallet,suddenly all your other implements find themselves living on a pallet.
Lift logs, tires, picnic tables, mower decks. Hang stuff for inspection,pop things out of the ground,brush,add a plow to the frame and anything else you can think of. The list goes on. I justified the tractor so...,I must confess I thought the price on forks was high. So, I built my own. Having them the past 2 years, if I broke them and found myself unable to Make another set myself the justification to buy another set would be easy at this point.I'd be havin em.
Take water off the list of nocandoes...using a plastic drum strapped to my forks works for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Take water off the list of nocandoes...using a plastic drum strapped to my forks works for me.
Doh!!! I hadn't thought of that. I need to get another plastic barrel. Can carry lots more water in plastic barrel than in the tractor bucket. Thanks great idea!
Well there ya go,more to do with forks than without.
I've said this before, but tractor FEL should probably come standard with forks and the loader bucket be the option!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Titans are heavier, by 25 lbs. I weighed the frame at 105 lbs., compared to Artillian's which is 80lbs. The Titan's also came

That seems light compared to the one I am pricing from Titan-MPN: JDFRLD42-YS49C2+(2)S17G
SKU: 139221 UPC: 793573164643
Specifications:
320 lbs
42" x 1.25" x 4" Fork Blades
Fork width: Adjusts from 6" to 44"
Spear Length: 47"
http://www.palletforks.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/1000x/d24a1167b4e64e9baa35b9247ad7ef0c/4/2/42_pallet_fork_hay_spear_attachment_for_john_deere2_3.jpg --- this link will get you to the picture.. I think

Also would this be to heavy for my 4410 with 300cx loader? AND... what would you suggest 42 or 36. 36 inch cheaper but 42 inch gives that little extra reach for the pickup bed and such... I know turning is more difficult but... Thoughts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the "36" Pallet Fork Hay Bale Spear w/ Trailer Hitch for John Deere".

AHHH... I see the difference now ... He got the swiss army knife model... only thing is the one I am looking at has the higher backrest and that seems important... Thoughts.... BUT... his one has the ability to be used just as a hay spear. Any thoughts on this... Also it is lighter in total weight it looks like. I priced them out by the piece but man that gets expensive.

I am in Alaska so this might be a mute point so with that said ... any thoughts on going PURE GREEN on this from the dealer... how are their forks? I really like the versatility of this one... hay, pallets and trailer moving.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
AHHH... I see the difference now ... He got the swiss army knife model... only thing is the one I am looking at has the higher backrest and that seems important... Thoughts.... BUT... his one has the ability to be used just as a hay spear. Any thoughts on this... Also it is lighter in total weight it looks like. I priced them out by the piece but man that gets expensive.

I am in Alaska so this might be a mute point so with that said ... any thoughts on going PURE GREEN on this from the dealer... how are their forks? I really like the versatility of this one... hay, pallets and trailer moving.
i have the frontier ones-heavy-heavy,:laugh: ARTILLIAN-wasn't around when i bought mine, that i knew of, i din't even have internet then-ha!! i have seen some pics of my set somewhere on the net, and it seems or looks like the thickness of the forks are smaller in size compared to mine:dunno: but i am glad i have a very nice and high backrest on the set i have-frontier ap12-2009-$1,009.00-aw-48inch forks too. no spear on mine-don't know if frontier does that or not:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts