Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over thirty years ago, I reworked our walkout basement laundry room & add a bathroom to it. At the time it was a very low budget project. I used new material for framing, insulation & drywall. At the time I worked for a builder & had access to lots of scrape plywood & fixtures. I built cabinets out of scrap plywood. All of the other fixtures were damaged or used. The shower was a 32" square unit. Things did not look great, but it served the purpose. To keep from having to remove a lot of concrete to do the drains for the toilet & shower, I built a platform so the plumbing could run above the concrete floor. The drains then ran out to a lift pump in the garage. The pit for the lift pump was an old salt tank from a water softener & the pump was used.

When we bought the house it had electric baseboard heat. It was cooled with window air conditioners. Over eight years ago we had central heat & air installed. This required the removal of all of the ceilings in the basement. As I was boxing in ductwork & putting in new ceilings, I decided not to do the laundry room because I wanted to remodel it.

Three years later I made plans to do a complete remodel that required relocating the washer, dryer, toilet & sink. & installing a 36" X 60" custom tile shower. It also required busting out a lot of concrete to install a proper lift pump & to do the drains correctly & install a new utility sink in the garage. I then purchased all of the materials, built cabinets, doors & made the molding. Then other projects got in the way until the week of Thanksgiving when I decided this project was getting done now.

I never remember to take before pictures, but below is the finished project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Looks pretty nice ,,, great job. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You are a very tallented person. That is a lot of work there. Looks great.

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Great work and I really like the design and colors. Very well done. I also like the handle in the shower, which is a helpful feature and a big safety enhancement, yet it looks stylish and like an accent piece, instead of many handles I have seen added.

Impressive job and real craftsmanship. Is the difference in the ceiling design, finish material and height for the heat runs? You can tell when a true craftsman does something as the details really make the difference in the final project. I take my hat off to you......:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:
:good2::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great work and I really like the design and colors. Very well done. I also like the handle in the shower, which is a helpful feature and a big safety enhancement, yet it looks stylish and like an accent piece, instead of many handles I have seen added.

Impressive job and real craftsmanship. Is the difference in the ceiling design, finish material and height for the heat runs? You can tell when a true craftsman does something as the details really make the difference in the final project. I take my hat off to you......:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:
:good2::bigthumb:
Thanks everyone.

I have installed dozens of grab bars in showers over the years. In my old shower there was not room to fall down, so I never thought about how helpful the bars would be for myself until I was using our upstairs bath tub shower. There is a towel bar in the center of the back wall that I kept holding on to. I did not feel safe in the larger shower with all that room around me. It was then that I decided to put them in mine.

The low section in the ceiling is the ductwork. The covering is painted plywood. The rest of the ceiling is suspended removable panels for access to plumbing & electrical.

Thank you for the very kind words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts