Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling to get something adequate in my ballast box. Cement really wasn't heavy enough, and I wanted to still be able to carry a chain and other stuff in the box also. I didn't like the extra bulk of the box extension either.
Today, I had 10 pc of 1 inch steel plate plasma cut to fit in the ballast box (22x16). At almost exactly 100 pounds per plate, I got 1000 lbs using only 10 inches of the box:dance: I like that all of the weight is below the axle:thumbup1gif:
Here's the best part.... less than 30 cents per pound cut.
It's good to know people in the metal fab world:yahoo:

Reactions: papaw1962

·
Administrator
18,497 Posts
That's cool, but pricey I bet! When you said cement wasn't heavy enough, did you try portland cement? It's heavier than regular the stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have portland in mine and i agree with arlen, I keep wanting more. I have been thinking about the box extension, but its not cheap. Do you have pictures?

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have portland in mine and i agree with arlen, I keep wanting more. I have been thinking about the box extension, but its not cheap. Do you have pictures?

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)
Here's a couple pictures. It's 1" plate. It was new stock, 30 cents per pound. That's a pretty good price.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Very nice arlen!:good2: I really like being able to add/remove weight.

One suggestion though. You should consider handles on those things.

Greg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
I like it arlen. Expensive but I still like it. Easy to adjust also. I'd probably drill and tap two holes in each for a removable handle or bolts to use as a handle.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
I do not consider $0.03/lb expensive for new steel cut to your specs.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
I do not consider $0.03/lb expensive for new steel cut to your specs.
For ballast weight it is for me but still a nice idea. Good price for steel though.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For ballast weight it is for me but still a nice idea. Good price for steel though.
If I did it again, I would probably have the pieces cut 1/2 that size. I did fish them all out of my ballast box once already to rearrange them. It wasn't too bad with one of those magnets for handling plates. I consider 1000 lbs to be the proper ballast for the 400cx, so I won't be handling them much.
I used to work for a large truck manufacturer, and I still have a few connections there, so I was able to get the stuff cut to my specs for an extremely low price.
If you consider new tractor iron at $1.30, and used auction price at $1.00 per pound, it was a steal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts