Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time, never seem to have time for my own projects but spent the last few days building the pad for my new shop. Used the 110 to move the engineered fill into place, the Case vibratory roller to pack it down and the 4520 to grade with.

Took 240 yards of fill to do this, lots of slope. I have an adversity to cutting and filling so the result was lots of dirt. Will add a high carport roof to the high side later so this will work out okay. At any rate did this as a one man job in 4 days lots of seat time and no shovel time, right up my alley.:lol:

This will give the guys some idea of what a landplane grader can do I easily got this within +/- 3/4".

Hope to get the slab started next and will post pics

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Looks great Steve-nice setting you have there.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
That is going to work out great. Nice job! How big is the shop going to be? I am sure you have every detail planned out. Keep us up to date.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Very Nice :thumbup1gif:. Do you put a light concrete coating on the edges of the fill to keep it from eroding or being damaged?

Is this a pole barn, or are you going to put footers in the fill?

Pete

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This shop will be small at 30x40x10 plus a covered parking added area on the high side and concrete for front approach. I have had the metal building kit for awhile, it has a 3.5/12 pitch roof with 24" overhangs to match the surroundings and help it appear residential.

I will use retaining wall block on the edges and this will be under the carport too. Since the slope was so steep I will build a separate parking shed without the concrete floor to park vehicles.

I will post updates as we move forward.

·
Registered
733 Posts
This shop will be small at 30x40x10 plus a covered parking added area on the high side and concrete for front approach. I have had the metal building kit for awhile, it has a 3.5/12 pitch roof with 24" overhangs to match the surroundings and help it appear residential.

I will use retaining wall block on the edges and this will be under the carport too. Since the slope was so steep I will build a separate parking shed without the concrete floor to park vehicles.

I will post updates as we move forward.
Anxiously awaiting progress pics as that was my original size plan..now looking at the stakes in the ground, I'm thinking 30x44x10 (5/12 Pitch and 12" overhangs on the one I had designed)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I should add that the high side with the berm will get the covered parking area. This should allow plenty of height clearance for the service trucks and backhoe.

This new shop will be used for welding and mechanical work for the most part. My biggest fear is filling it up with too many tools and stuff then not having enough room to work with left over. I am leary of using a grinder with sparks flying everywhere and burning the place down. At the same time you need the tools handy to work with. Not planning on storing fuel, paints or oils in the new building.

My existing shop is 22x36 with an 8' door height I hope to keep this for woodworking and storage. This old shop is about 150 ft from the new building and I see an issue with moving stuff back and forth but just don't know what else I can do. I have about two dozen rollaway cabinets which can be dispersed between the two buildings and these seem like they would help with the organization and fire issues.

I am also considering making some type of roll around back drops to shield the work area when grinding and cutting. I have lots of heavy duty caster wheels to use for this purpose. Would like some suggestions for this.

I need a keeper most likely, someone well organized such as Randy with a sharp stick.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about some of the commercially available welding curtains for spark containment?

I had considered them, how expensive are they? The good thing about the curtains is the sparks don't bounce as much either.

I had considered dollies with flat black sheetmeat roofing standing up too.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Can't help with the backdrops, but here's a couple of good sites. Both might help with your quest:

http://www.garagejournal.com

http://www.weldingweb.com

I should add that the high side with the berm will get the covered parking area. This should allow plenty of height clearance for the service trucks and backhoe.

This new shop will be used for welding and mechanical work for the most part. My biggest fear is filling it up with too many tools and stuff then not having enough room to work with left over. I am leary of using a grinder with sparks flying everywhere and burning the place down. At the same time you need the tools handy to work with. Not planning on storing fuel, paints or oils in the new building.

My existing shop is 22x36 with an 8' door height I hope to keep this for woodworking and storage. This old shop is about 150 ft from the new building and I see an issue with moving stuff back and forth but just don't know what else I can do. I have about two dozen rollaway cabinets which can be dispersed between the two buildings and these seem like they would help with the organization and fire issues.

I am also considering making some type of roll around back drops to shield the work area when grinding and cutting. I have lots of heavy duty caster wheels to use for this purpose. Would like some suggestions for this.

I need a keeper most likely, someone well organized such as Randy with a sharp stick.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Sorry Steve, you are on your own on this one. I am sure it will all turn out just fine. The key is getting past the turmoil to get there.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Now I know what I want for Christmas!

A "Randy with a Sharp Stick" action figure!

The perfect gift to help you get your projects done right :thumbup1gif:

Steve, can you dig in that fill to put in conduit for power, water and drains without causing any problems? If you dig it, does it tend to stay put and not collapse?

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Now I know what I want for Christmas!

A "Randy with a Sharp Stick" action figure!

The perfect gift to help you get your projects done right :thumbup1gif:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You guys are just too much. Hey, Pete you got me thinking, what would you guys pay for a service like that? Remember I will have to cover my air fares.:lol:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the leads guys will be checking into these sites.

Pete, guess we need a little Randy action figure.:laugh: The digging for the footers starts next week, and yes I can dig in the piping when needed.

Finished the final grading and have it very close +- 1/2", that is good enough until all the footers and piping is done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts