Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looking all month. Friends are find them, but not me :banghead:
Until today, but only 12, usually I find 40 - 50, when I find them, this time only one or two at each spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nice. So yummy, especially when you eat them within hours of pulling.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Started finding them here almost 2 weeks ago, I’ll be out later this weekend to see if this haul is as good as last weekends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told "cut" do not pull, so you will get future crops. I don't know if that's true, or an old wife's tail? :unknown:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I was told "cut" do not pull, so you will get future crops. I don't know if that's true, or an old wife's tail? :unknown:
We always cut or pinch off just above ground so we don’t pull out any of the subsurface growth and dirt. Not sure if it actually makes a difference but not hurting the actual fungus that produces the fruit (mushrooms) like picking an apple from a tree without tearing off the branch makes sense to me!

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
We always cut or pinch off just above ground so we don’t pull out any of the subsurface growth and dirt. Not sure if it actually makes a difference but not hurting the actual fungus that produces the fruit (mushrooms) like picking an apple from a tree without tearing off the branch makes sense to me!
i haven't been hunting for them in years, but we'd just pull them out, and whatever comes with, comes with.

·
Registered
758 Posts
So for someone from Texas, exactly what are these? Not an ordinary mushroom?

morel mushrooms......only about a 2-3wk season a year..in my area april....absolutely delicious....so far not commercially viable to grow to sell (rumors are the chinesse have learned to grow them) ....require specific soil temps and moisture to grow.....go for about $100 a pound in season...can be preserved via drying or freezing ....a rare delicacy...lots of info on google if you have further intrest ......

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hopefully y'all are using an onion bag to carry them in, it spreads the spores around for next year... do it a few years in a row and you'll start to see more...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

we use mesh laundry bags picking..........then i clean them in a large bowl of water.....then take that water (well water) out daily and pour it in good mushroom habitat areas......

with this practice for the last several years we are now seeing new mushrooms in the areas that we poured out the water 2-3years ago

·
Registered
487 Posts
They hunt these Mushrooms around me in the Wild Fire Burns. Seems it make them boom and there big bucks if you buy them from the pickers.
I burned about 3-5 acres of woods this spring at Easter before anything was up and growing.
The fire didn't hurt any of the spring wildflowers or grasses.
But No Morels yet, so I can't comment on the fire helping morels.
I know it has killed all the little Sugar Maples, Hooray for that.
I'm out in the woods working pretty much everyday, I keep looking but nothing yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts